2014 Windshield/Fairing center bolt

shovell

Jun 27, 2016
I have a 2014 Street Glide special. The Street glide has a HD Wind splitter windshield. I notice that the fairing does not sit flush with the windshield. I appears that the center bolt was tighten way to much that pushed the center fairing making it not sit correctly. I untighten all the bolts and tried to get the fairing to set flush. It seems that whoever put the center bolt messed up the fairing by tightening it way to much. Any ideas on how to fix the fairing????

Did it pull the brass out of the plastic? Is the entire fairing out of whack? I would think that the winds shield screws either to the left or right would cause it to be jacked not the center. pictures would help.

I have a 2014 Street Glide special. The Street glide has a HD Wind splitter windshield. I notice that the fairing does not sit flush with the windshield. I appears that the center bolt was tighten way to much that pushed the center fairing making it not sit correctly. I untighten all the bolts and tried to get the fairing to set flush. It seems that whoever put the center bolt messed up the fairing by tightening it way to much. Any ideas on how to fix the fairing????
This seems to be a common problem with non stock SGS Rushmore shields (I.e LRS). My new Clearview is also not exactly flush either.
I AM surprised to hear about a Windsplitter though.

My 2014 with LSR is the same, I think that I torque mine to tight, just checked the service manual & is says 20-30 in lbs for faring bolts.

The gap appears on most bikes when you change from the stock shields, and Iv'e also seen it on new bikes on the dealers floor. Do a google search and you'll find a lot of info. Best case scenario loosen the three screws and tighten the center first then one side at a time while applying pressure to flatten out the gap while tightening the screw. Note these screws will pull the brass insert out of the fairing so don't overtighten. Ever notice the CVO's come with the fairing trim, this will help a little as well but on some fairing shield combinations it will always be there. It bugged me for a while and I always check when I see a Streetglide. I checked with a dealer and they thought I was crazy. The fairing is not air tight so a little water if it does run down will not hurt anything.

Best,
Chris

I've had 2 Clearviews without fitiment problems. I also think that by adding a metal windshield trim piece it helps distribute the force across the 3 screws evenly.

ClearView1.jpgClearView2.jpg

Thanks for the feedback. I just went on my lunch to the local HD dealership and i did notice that the some of the bikes with the wind splitter were not sitting right with the fairing. I think mine just got a little to much torque on the screw. I will post some pictures. i am also thinking about adding the windshield trim maybe that will help.

Awesome, glad it was an easy fix. I have used both the LRS and HD windsplitter. I really like the LRS and I don't seem to have any issues with fit.

I had the same issue when I put the LRS on. Also had an aftermarket on that did the same thing. It bugged me for awhile and then I stopped looking at it.. Also looking to put on a trim piece this season.

20170224_075425.jpg20170224_075613.jpg20170224_080030.jpg
So i tried adjusting the windshield and still nothing. I backed out all the screws and tried to adjust it. As you can see the pictures the center screw is pushing the center of the fairing. One of the pics i placed a rubber piece to help keep the center from looking deformed.

I looked at mine after reading this, I believe they all have curvy gap. I misunderstood what you were referring to. I have a performance machine window trim so its not as noticeable. I would thing by placing some sort of rubber o-ring / gasket in-between the center screw might keep the tension on and even things out.

I think I will get some trim when after I get a different seat. Then Ill know if I need another windshield. My Clearview Sport is the right height now but after I change my seat it may be too low.

I've just fitted HD's wind splitter to my 2015 SGS, the stock shield is 3/16" compared with the replacement's 1/8" so I'm left with an ugly gap and distorted fairing to contend with. I've packed it out with some rubber inserts but not happy that the MoCo should think it's an acceptable result. Q. What have others done to tidy up the appearance, and will water ingress through the gap cause any grief?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mikes469