2015 CVO Noisy 1st gear

15CVO

Jun 12, 2015
Hello everyone. I am new to this forum and have a couple of questions. Just picked up a new 2015 Street Glide CVO. It started with 11 miles on it and I've put about 200 miles on it and after everything warms up 1st gear is extremely loud. Sounds like a jet engine taking off. It does it on acceleration and deceleration whether the clutch is in or not, as long as the bike is rolling it does it. As soon as you shift out of 1st everything is quiet. It is not so prevalent when the bike is cold. Should I be concerned about this and go ahead and take to the dealer now or wait until the break in period is up and see if it quiets down? Its done it since day one and hasn't gotten any better or worse since.

Thanks

I don't think I am the only one who will say this, but Syn3 is noisy. I went back to conventional and the valve chatter is greatly reduced as well as smoother shifting and reduced tranny noise

Sent from my Note4 using Tapatalk

Oils are specified and selected for engine and transmission applications based on viscosity at operating temperature. At this point, mineral and synthetic oils should be about the same (around 212 degrees F). At lower temperatures the mineral oil will be thicker than synthetic and your engine or transmission may sound quieter. Now if you get really hot (above 212 F), the synthetic will be thicker than the mineral oil and it will provide better engine protection. Synthetic oils change viscosity less with changes in temperature. So they are thinner when cold for easy starting and thicker when hot for better engine protection.

Most people stand around and listen just after they start up or change oil or have been parked for awhile, so yes, the mineral oil will probably make for a quieter experience.

My mechanic put in redline after a 1,000 mile check up and that seemed to help. But I know that discussion opens up a can of worms. Which oil is best [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

I have a 2015 FLHX and it is very noisy in 1st. Same sound you describe. I asked the mechanic at the dealer if this was normal and he said it is.

2015 CVO Noisy 1st gear

I agree my CVO is loud also using synth sounds like a noisy gear-drive. I guess it is normal then!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will add that after talking to a friend that works at a high performance
Harley shop . He recommended to change out trans oil and run Redline heavy shock gear oil it's pink! And run Redline MTL in Primary. So I took the advice and I am happy with out come much quieter!
e6001d1899537b221e575dfa8ed65d95.jpg
6ab73e978c553d081ce7a8ed6b643531.jpg
also stopped using Synth 3 in engine switched to Mobil 1 20/50

I use the same redline shock proof heavy in transmission on all my bikes. Make them quiter and shift smoother
I will add that after talking to a friend that works at a high performance
Harley shop . He recommended to change out trans oil and run Redline heavy shock gear oil it's pink! And run Redline MTL in Primary. So I took the advice and I am happy with out come much quieter!
e6001d1899537b221e575dfa8ed65d95.jpg
6ab73e978c553d081ce7a8ed6b643531.jpg
also stopped using Synth 3 in engine switched to Mobil 1 20/50

These engines are very old technology and the valve trains are noisy. Add to that fairings and lowers and it amplifies the racket. Different viscosity oils can help a lot but so do loud pipes heh heh!:cool:

I have noticed on my 2015 SG, that while in 1st gear, there is a very noticeable whine that just started. I only have about 275 miles on the bike, and it never did it until around the 250 mile mark. Shifting is very clunky, and neutral can be a bear to find most of the time. After my 1000 mile service, (which was included in the price of the bike when I bought it) I plan to change all 3 fluids to something other than one of the Harley branded fluids.

I ran Mobil 1 V Twin 20/50 in the engine and primary, and Redline heavy duty shockproof in the transmission of my previous Road King with good results. Will probably try those in the SG later and see if it helps.

I am a fan of synthetics. I have learned that the syn 3 works great in engine and primary but amsoil works better in tranny as far as reducing noise. The syn 3 is thicker for engine than amsoil and the amsoil is thicker for tranny

There's something about the 1st set of gears in the transmission that makes this happen. I noticed mine doing the whine early on and asked about it. Now at around 10k the noise is much quieter. Still there, but quieter.

Sent from my phone.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Triggerman1067