2015 FLHXS Monkey Bar Install Problems

D94

Jan 31, 2015
Hello all. I just installed 12" PYMB's on my '15 FLHXS. I've been reading and getting advice from alot of you guys, but I need your thoughts again on some issues. I went to the dealership and and got the CVO TBW 32310-08. When I was there they changed the molex pins to female so it would fit. The tech there wrote down the install order of the pins back into the plug ( yellow sleeve/black sleeve) and did it the way he said to.
Plug Cavity Order :

Yellow Sleeve
1- Black
2- White
3- Red

Black Sleeve
4- Black
5- White
6- Red

Put it all together last night and started it up to check. this is what I have now:

1- Check Engine Light On
2- No Throttle
3- Cruise Control Indicator on Gauges blinking " Yellow" ( will stay solid if I push in button on controls )
4- ABS light blinking ( did not disconnect cables at all during procedure)

Went into the DTCS section on the stereo and there are no codes logged.

Any advice or thoughts would be great. I'm heading to the dealership today to ask them as well. Thx in advance.

Well, the abs light will blink (when you first start up) until you start rolling.
Any chance the wire order got reversed on one side? Seems like that scheme might cause the to end up marrying with the red, instead of the black.

I am no expert, but when I did my bar change out (first attempt), I had all the same symptoms, I would check right and left switch housing, where the wires actually come out of the grip housing (very east to pinch wires when installing housing covers) and go inside the bars; also, be sure the two very small connectors are plugged in securely at the switch housing assy on left and right side; lastly, TGS (green) connector to interconnect, very sensitive and unforgiving, if not assembled correctly, it wont work.

throttle grip sensor sends and recieves sensing data to ECU for all your symptoms listed, I cant confirm you CVO harness wire order, but assuming all of that is correct, you may just have an re-assembly problem.

Came back from the dealership and thx to the service crew at Williams HD all is good.
Turns out my problem was two fold.
1- I did not have the pins seated in the plug correctly
2- The female pins I used 72168-07 were wrong. Their is a different pin which is very similar I'll get the number if anyone needs it.

They changed the pins and I'm glad to say all is well. Fired right up, runs great.

Thx to Spazz, Kosi, Hulk and everyone else on this forum for their insight and advice on things like this. It makes doing these things and others a lot easier with your help. You guys Rock!!

Came back from the dealership and thx to the service crew at Williams HD all is good.
Turns out my problem was two fold.
1- I did not have the pins seated in the plug correctly
2- The female pins I used 72168-07 were wrong. Their is a different pin which is very similar I'll get the number if anyone needs it.

They changed the pins and I'm glad to say all is well. Fired right up, runs great.

Thx to Spazz, Kosi, Hulk and everyone else on this forum for their insight and advice on things like this. It makes doing these things and others a lot easier with your help. You guys Rock!!

I'm having the same problem with my bike as you were. after i changed my handlebars. if you could give me the part# for the female adapter so that way I could check to see if I have the correct part and also the wire diagram to reassemble the plug on the TBW. I appreciate your help.

Thanks
June

Did you use the CVO Harness? I would have to get the female pin # from the service dept, but if you go to your dealer they should be able to look it up for you and switch the pins. The wiring I have posted earlier is correct, I just didn't seat them correctly. Make sure you hear them "click" when you put the pins in. Let me know.

Hello all. I just installed 12" PYMB's on my '15 FLHXS. I've been reading and getting advice from alot of you guys, but I need your thoughts again on some issues. I went to the dealership and and got the CVO TBW 32310-08. When I was there they changed the molex pins to female so it would fit. The tech there wrote down the install order of the pins back into the plug ( yellow sleeve/black sleeve) and did it the way he said to.
Plug Cavity Order :

Yellow Sleeve
1- Black
2- White
3- Red

Black Sleeve
4- Black
5- White
6- Red

Put it all together last night and started it up to check. this is what I have now:

1- Check Engine Light On
2- No Throttle
3- Cruise Control Indicator on Gauges blinking " Yellow" ( will stay solid if I push in button on controls )
4- ABS light blinking ( did not disconnect cables at all during procedure)

Went into the DTCS section on the stereo and there are no codes logged.

Any advice or thoughts would be great. I'm heading to the dealership today to ask them as well. Thx in advance.
I am getting ready to do a bar install. I love the look of the yaffe 12" but I have heard terrible things about the condition of the interior of the bars. Did your bars have a lot of burrs, etc, inside?

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Not really. Mine seemed ok. Pulled wires through 2 times (first time pull wire came loose on throttle side, had to start over). Nothing got chewed up. All good. There are a couple of good videos to watch on YouTube, also I found a good one from Road 6 I think. On their website shows how to put 12" bars on without changing cables.

Installing 12" Monkey bars on the SG. Watched the video many times. Am at the wire pull stage.
First attempt failed. Very bad words were spoken, not my finest hour!

If I never plan to use heated grips, can I clip off the connecters on the cable?

The green connector will be eliminated (soldered and shrink-wrapped).

Just want to eliminate as much as possible.

Just did 12" monkey bars on my 16 SGS. My bars seemed pretty well machined.

Make sure you're watching this video. You can't go wrong...

http://youtu.be/sPvOmEvXQRs

Naturally all the wires from the right side were the worst. I suggest neatly wrapping them with electrical tape and greasing it. Grease was the trick for the right.

ab9c9c4e658125d425cd94231c0e7fe8.jpg

Careful cutting out the green connector. It's 50/50 that you will have no problems. Just as easy to get the CVO Tgs. No green connector, easy,peasy. Just make sure you have your HD dealer switch the pins to male to fit your plug.

50/50 chance on eliminating the green connector! Thats not very good odds. This job is getting kind of scary! Maybe the CVO harness would be a better way to go.

No one has commented on the elimination of the heated grip connectors yet.

My next attempt will be using the mig welding wire. Someone posted a real good tip on pulling the wire
through to start. That makes good sense.

I can be methodical but my patience can be short sometimes. Just don't want to give up and have to pay someone to do this for me. That money could be better spent.

50/50 chance on eliminating the green connector! Thats not very good odds. This job is getting kind of scary! Maybe the CVO harness would be a better way to go.

No one has commented on the elimination of the heated grip connectors yet.

My next attempt will be using the mig welding wire. Someone posted a real good tip on pulling the wire
through to start. That makes good sense.

I can be methodical but my patience can be short sometimes. Just don't want to give up and have to pay someone to do this for me. That money could be better spent.

I removed the heated connector in the bar. I live in Hawaii and I knew there was no chance of me ever using heated grips. It made the wire run a lot easier.

We cut the heated grip wiring off of my buddies bike and it help with the pull and no problems with short or codes. CUT IT OFF !

Used Namz wire extension kits in my 13" prime apes that I just installed. Pulling the wires thru can be a little tricky but used some water soluble lube used for pulling home wiring thru conduit. Got everything pulled thru even the heated grip plug with very little trouble.

Installing 12" Monkey bars on the SG. Watched the video many times. Am at the wire pull stage.
First attempt failed. Very bad words were spoken, not my finest hour!

If I never plan to use heated grips, can I clip off the connecters on the cable?

The green connector will be eliminated (soldered and shrink-wrapped).

Just want to eliminate as much as possible.

The trick to pulling those wires is wire lube from your local hardware store and when they get tough to pull just be patient and work them back and forth a couple of times and they will slip right through.

I am having the same exact issue. I spoke with the stealership and they advised me to purchase part No. 32305-08A. Is this the correct one since 32310-08 only has two red, two black, and two white wires?

I think I may damage the wires on the stock tbw when pulling the wires. This is why I am thinking of purchasing the new one.

just cut all the plugs off and solder and use heat shrink and you'll be just fine only use the plugs that comes threw the bars

Got it all finished. Rode all day Tuesday, about 350 miles. Felt great no numbness and looks great. Thanks for all the advice. You guys rock!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mikes469