2015 street glide special issues

Dirt_diggler

Feb 17, 2022
I have 2 things I need help with. First, I was riding home from work the other day, anything around 3k RPMS and above was met with a terrible vibration coming from what I believed to be the engine area, I had to make it home so I kept riding very modestly. Eventually. I was pulling a hill and something from the primary area popped really loud and she smoothed right out, vibration gone. Since then, it's made a clunky noise from the primary area but no vibration. I decided to look, that's where the second issue surfaced. I pulled the derby cover to have a look at the clutch pack and there was some metal shavings on the inside of the derby cover, that's when I noticed that there was a LOT of fluid around the clutches. So I drew it out to "normal" levels and noticed it smelled of transmission fluid, so I checked the transmission fluid, it was about half a quart low. I pulled about half a quart from the primary so I'm definitely having some transfer. Now, any insight to what could be the cause of either would be helpful. I know this is kind of a long, run-on post and for that I apologize. It's a 2015 FLHXS with the 103.

I have 2 things I need help with. First, I was riding home from work the other day, anything around 3k RPMS and above was met with a terrible vibration coming from what I believed to be the engine area, I had to make it home so I kept riding very modestly. Eventually. I was pulling a hill and something from the primary area popped really loud and she smoothed right out, vibration gone. Since then, it's made a clunky noise from the primary area but no vibration. I decided to look, that's where the second issue surfaced. I pulled the derby cover to have a look at the clutch pack and there was some metal shavings on the inside of the derby cover, that's when I noticed that there was a LOT of fluid around the clutches. So I drew it out to "normal" levels and noticed it smelled of transmission fluid, so I checked the transmission fluid, it was about half a quart low. I pulled about half a quart from the primary so I'm definitely having some transfer. Now, any insight to what could be the cause of either would be helpful. I know this is kind of a long, run-on post and for that I apologize. It's a 2015 FLHXS with the 103.

See if someone can chime in here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I would remove the outer primary case and inspect the compensator sprocket and chain tensioner. As I post earlier I don't think your trans transfer the oil to the primary and it has nothing to do with your problem.

I know the transfer of the trans fluid has nothing to do with my problem I first posted about, I'm trying to figure out the cause of the issues so I can fix them. When I remove the primary what exactly am I looking for when I inspect the parts? Anything in particular?

As stated above fluid transfer from transmission to primary has never been an issue. Only present on M8 touring. The clunking noise can be your compensator assembly having abnormal wear or your clutch hub bearing failing. Check the torque on your compensator bolt and your clutch hub nut to insure they have not loosened up before you start disassembling the primary. Inner primary will have to be disassembled due to metal shavings so you can remove the stator rotor and clean up any shavings around the stator so you do not fry the stator caused by the metal shavings. You will see normal wear on compensator anything beyond that and you will have to replace it

Reactions: BillyBob

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiefIronHorse