2016 Clutch recall....WTF

mean green15

Apr 5, 2015
Just got a recall letter from H-D. The wifes 16 SG has the same recall as my 2015 SG had the year before. Anyone else get a clutch recall? Makes me wounder if the recall that was done on my 2015 really fixed the problem.

I had my recall done at my first service left the bike overnight was checked but didn't need anything done didn't leak down overnight
2016 Street Glide Special

I got my letter last week, got it fixed two days ago. Had no apparant problem before or after. Love my new SGS. Wallacem in Ga

I got one too, they have had the same recall since the 14 models. I'm not sure why it has never been resolved but i guess its off to the shop.

Just had mine checked by my dealership. And it passed their test, was not showing signs of the Recall condition after a 24 hour check. As far as my dealership was concerned, if you were not experiencing any of the recall symptoms, then you are good to go. Makes me a little nervous that the recall is only being performed on the bikes that fail the 24 hour test. Kind of wish they would just do the recall regardless. But then they would be changing out thousands of Clutches. I would advise to check you clutch yourself with the detailed test steps that came with your recall letter. And then only bring your bike in if you think it failed, otherwise (like me) you will be without your bike for the 24+ hours they have it to do there "Test".

So just because it passed a 24 hour test at the dealer today. Whats to say it will not fail in a month or 2 years from the test. I still cannot believe they have the same recall 3 years in a row.

I checked my VIN and the clutch recall was closed. I guess it was tested and cleared, or fixed, before the bike went out the door.

I didn't know 14 models were affected.

The recall includes certain model year 2016 Electra Glide Ultra Classic (FLHTCU), Electra Glide Ultra Classic Low (FLHTCUL), Ultra Limited Low (FLHTKL), Ultra Limited (FLHTK), CVO Street Glide (FLHXSE), Street Glide (FLHX), Street Glide Special (FLHXS), Road Glide Special (FLTRXS), Road Glide (FLTRX), Police Electra Glide (FLHTP), Road Glide Ultra (FLTRU), Fat Boy S (FLSTFBS), Softail Slim S (FLSS), and CVO Softail Pro Street Breakout (FXSE) motorcycles. In total, some 27,232 units are affected.

Last edited:
Received a letter from the manufacturer on 09/09/16 was able to get around to it due to work this past friday and contacted the dealer, they sent out a hauler no charge and picked it up, my did exhibit the failure and was noticeable before the notification. In the letter the failure exists in Touring and Softail models not just glides.............

It was specific to the following black master cylinder part numbers...................36700049B / 36700056B / 36700146 / 36700186.
Harley-Davidson Recall No.0169 / NHTSA Recall No. 16V-471

When I spoke with the dealer which contacted me mine also contained gas in the master cylinder and lines........FYI.

Last edited:
So just because it passed a 24 hour test at the dealer today. Whats to say it will not fail in a month or 2 years from the test. I still cannot believe they have the same recall 3 years in a row.
maybe its cheaper for them to do the recall than it is to fix the problem. My '16 SG clutch was checked and given clean bill of health.

Some companies are better than others at recalls. For example I've made 3 appointments for my Dodge Ram to have the airbag inflators and rear pinion nuts replaced; and everytime I've brought it they don't have the parts in stock. I'm actually dropping it off this morning as I type this. Two of the 3 parts being recalled will finally be done today. My neighbor has a Honda Ridgeback and they gave him a loaner for 3 months until the parts became available. I've never deal with a Harley recall but from the comments they don't seem too bad.

I brought my bike in and they did the test and if failed so they rebuilt the master cyclinder. I knew it would fail since I had been having issues and when i brought it to the dealer, they said nothing was wrong and to wait until it failed. Then the recall came around. Of course, I am still having an issue like before. So is it the same issue or something entirely different? That is the question. Hopefully I can figure that out soon. Just a side note, I didn't buy in 2015 because of all the recalls (was advised to wait until they were sorted out) and of course they have a recall this year. Just my luck.

I will say that the dealer got the bike in pretty quick to fix this. Normally you have to wait a few weeks for an appointment. Guess they had to.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith