2016 CVO Street Glide Shut off while riding

Naughty Boy

Aug 20, 2014
So last night about 14 miles into my ride, my bike glitches. The cruise shut off so I look at the dash and my Engine light is on, the security red dot is on solid and the ABS light is on. While I'm looking at the dash, all the gauges shut off (all the needles go to 0). They came back on right away and I kept on riding along but the Engine light, security light and ABS are still on. I ride 4 miles to the next town and shut it all down. It fired right back up and all the lights are now off so I ride it 2 blocks and go in for a cold one. When I come back out to leave the bike won't start. The bike is powered up like normal but the bike just won't start. After messing around with it for around 15 minutes I pull the large fuse under the left side panel. The alarm systems starts to screw so I put the fuse back in and power the bike back up and all is well and it starts fine. The bike is sitting around 2233 miles total.

The only things I have done to it recently are Sunday I had Vance & Hines X pipe & FP3 installed at the J & P Open House. I rode it 60 miles after the install and then 14 mile to the glitch. I had also washed it Wednesday.

I'm thinking that it does not have anything to do with the Exhaust and more likely has something to do with the washing of it as I power wash it and then ride it dry.

Just looking for thoughts, ideas, experiences people have had with problems like this. Are the codes stored on the bike and if I take it to a dealer can they tell me what happened?

Should I be more careful when I wash it?

There is a tip sensor on the bike. It's a safety feature that shuts it down if you go over. Sometimes they are faulty. Happened to me once. Bring to dealer and get it checked/replaced.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Power washing is probably a bad idea. Harley says the bikes are water resistant, not water proof. That kind of pressure may not be the cause of this incident, but could definitely cause you problems in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My 2014 dash went completely out yesterday the controls don't work and all the Gage's are dead I was riding and the entire dash just went black. I don't think washing has anything to do with it. I talked to a dealer and this is a known problem. I'm still under warranty so we'll see what they do to fix it.

I had taken the bike to the dealer for them to check any codes. No codes were stored. When I went in the back to talk to the Tech, he had the FP3 in his hand and naturally wanted to blame that since it is not a Harley SE tuner. In the end they did not find anything wrong with it and I have not had a problem until this past Sunday. Again the Engine light came on and the Red Security light came on and the gauges danced on and off for about a mile. After that everything went back to normal and all the lights went off. I had no issues starting it back up after it was shut off though, like last time.

I have not power washed it since the last issue and the only thing I have done recently was reset the Auto tune to retune it. I am starting to question if it could be the FP3. My understanding is that it does not do anything other than gather information until I tell it to push the tune information to the ECM.

Has anyone had anything like this happen while they were auto tuning?

I have not experienced anything like that with my FP3. As Chalagonian mentioned, I was thinking Bank Angle sensor also, but there may be a intermittent electrical connection. You may want to just pull the seat, bags and access covers off and grab a flash light and touch every connection to check for tightness and ensure all fuses are seated, connectors in the battery area fully seated, and maybe do the same behind the fairing. Older models you could cycle the ignition switch a few times to reset the sensors, not sure for Rushmore models. Keep us posted on what you come up with.

If you think it might be the FP3 then run without it for a while and see if the problem goes away.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Triggerman1067