21" Front wheel changes handiling characteristics

Ctek

May 5, 2015
I just put an RC Components Cypher 21'' front wheel on my 2015 SGS yesterday. It looks awsome and the RC Components wheel is top quality.:D:
The problem I'm having is it drasticly changed the way the bike handles? Especially at slower speeds. The front end feels heavy and I really have to horse it into the turns (almost as though the bike dose'nt want to turn) but at the same time it feels really unstable through uneven pavement(like it wants to drift from side to side). I really felt like the bike handled like a dream with the stock wheel, if its going to handle like it does now I'll have a 21'' wheel set up for sale.:(
Has anyone else experianced this?

Has anyone tried to slide the forks up into the triple trees to lower the front? I could be wrong but I'm thinking the problem is the front is higher causing the problem?:confused:

Everything I have read (and will soon try) is the front end needs to be lowered - at least 1 inch - some do 1 1/2.
Also seen where people increase the rear wheel size.
SO I would go with lowering your front - however you can - and hopefully that hooks it back up.

I am picking up my 15 SGS on Monday with a new set of Performance Machine wheels. 21" in the front and the 17" in the back with the 200 series rear tire. Because the rear is coming up a little with the front, it shouldn't be too drastic of a ride change. I have heard it will obviously lean over further on the kickstand.

I put a little over 1k miles on it before this so I will keep you updated on the ride change!

Got the bike back and the handling hasn't changed at all to me. I put 12" bars on it as well so I figured the combination of changes would make it feel unsure of itself, but it still rides like a dream.

The 200 rear tire is barely rubbing on a bracket at the rear of the fender so I need to figure that out. Has anyone had this issue with a wider rear tire?

Got the bike back and the handling hasn't changed at all to me. I put 12" bars on it as well so I figured the combination of changes would make it feel unsure of itself, but it still rides like a dream.

The 200 rear tire is barely rubbing on a bracket at the rear of the fender so I need to figure that out. Has anyone had this issue with a wider rear tire?

I was just going to ask you if you had any rear wheel rub with the 17" rear wheel with the 200 tire when I saw this post. I was warned of this by 2 out of 3 dealers. I sent an email to Jeff at Coastal Moto, IMO he's the ultimate source for information on wheels and tires. Jeff told me that this seems to happen with the 6.5 width wheel and he recommends the 6.0 wheel. What wheel width do you have?

I have a 21" on mine, I also lowered the front 1", change the rear to a 17". Got everything from Jeff with Costal Moto. Bike handles fine, I can also air out my rear with no rubbing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
South Jersey Dave