24v timer

azglocker

Dec 14, 2015
I'm looking for ideas for a solenoid valve control.

Our pool at work uses a jandy levolor which uses a continuity probe in the water to control a solenoid valve for maintaining water level. The problem is that the probe has gone bad and my boss is reluctant to fix it so we have to manually fill the pool using the manual valve.

As with all things that are human manipulated, there is a margin of error. In the last 6 months, over 20k gallons of water have been wasted by coworkers opening the valve to refill the pool and leaving it open so I want to add an electric Switch to fill the pool as needed with a timer to turn off the solenoid after 10-30 minutes to prevent (or mitigate) water loss and diluting the water balance.

Since the solenoid operates off 24v ac, I'm looking for a timer that operates on, or at least switches, 24v. If this cannot be achieved I will need a second transformer and a 120v timer so that the levolor can operate in parallel to the manual fill Switch, should it ever be fixed.

Does anyone know of a timer that can work on or switch 24v? My idea is a crank timer, similar to those used on bathroom heat lamps or spa bubblers. I'm probably going to be paying for this myself so cost is a definite influence.

I don't have my one line diagram on my phone but I'll get it tomorrow if it helps.

Sent from my Droid Turbo 2 using Tapatalk.

This is pretty much what I do. Very simple, use mechanical floats. I can make a quick cad drawing of one tommorow on a very simple system. I mostly work with pumps but have done some gravity fill programming with plc. Floats are much cheaper and very simple. Can add a "high" level cut off to stop filling.👍

A mechanical valve would definitely be preferred, and lessen maintenance. However the fill line is actually above the water level by about a foot, likely to provide a code required air break (despite also having a back flow preventer. City code requires one, not both). We have a zero edge pool with a second pump to provide a constant waterfall effect and the level probe is actually located in the waterfall return trough. It's a roundabout way to maintain fill level but since we run the waterfall pump 16 hours a day, it works.

Sorry if I'm confusing anything. Only worked in maintenance for 2 years and trying to learn more daily.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 using Tapatalk.

Last edited:
I'm looking for ideas for a solenoid valve control.

Our pool at work uses a jandy levolor which uses a continuity probe in the water to control a solenoid valve for maintaining water level. The problem is that the probe has gone bad and my boss is reluctant to fix it so we have to manually fill the pool using the manual valve.

As with all things that are human manipulated, there is a margin of error. In the last 6 months, over 20k gallons of water have been wasted by coworkers opening the valve to refill the pool and leaving it open so I want to add an electric Switch to fill the pool as needed with a timer to turn off the solenoid after 10-30 minutes to prevent (or mitigate) water loss and diluting the water balance.

Since the solenoid operates off 24v ac, I'm looking for a timer that operates on, or at least switches, 24v. If this cannot be achieved I will need a second transformer and a 120v timer so that the levolor can operate in parallel to the manual fill Switch, should it ever be fixed.

Does anyone know of a timer that can work on or switch 24v? My idea is a crank timer, similar to those used on bathroom heat lamps or spa bubblers. I'm probably going to be paying for this myself so cost is a definite influence.

I don't have my one line diagram on my phone but I'll get it tomorrow if it helps.

Sent from my Droid Turbo 2 using Tapatalk.

Here ya go.

https://www.grainger.com/product/INTERMATIC-Electromechanical-Timer-20XF56?functionCode=P2IDP2PCP

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mikes469