585 cam upgrade on 103 V-Twin

BlkDragon

Jul 20, 2015
Has anyone done 585 cam upgrade on their 103 with Stage 1? What's the maximum HP/torque are you seeing from this cam upgrade (please also include your stage 1 setup, exhaust, breather, tuner)...Dyno results if you have it also please? I don't want to jump in too deep into the motor as I just want more performance out of it. I have plans for my other ride with more ponies which I will be riding alone.

My buddy shop is telling me with 585 cam I will be looking around 90 + HP and 100 + torque with my stage 1 setup now.....so if that's the case I am willing to upgrade.....he also states if he has to get too far into the motor I should spend more $$$$ and just go with piston upgrade also to gain more HP 100 + HP & 120 + torque.....but I don't think I want to go that far but if the deal is right I may.....:D

Thanks for all your info on this!

Do we get discount from FuelMoto for being StreetGlide.com member, if so what's the percentage? I see they have a sale going on on their website for 585 cam kit for $688, waiting for FM to reply back to me on any discount for SG.com member.....

Woods 777 cams. 575 lift. Adj. pushrods, new lifters.
Power Vision, D&D Fatcat 2-1 exhaust.
Ness Slot track Breather.
Fuel Moto tune.
101 hp, 110 lb. ft. of torque.
AIM clutch module.

Head work and cubic inches would jump about 15 hp and about 15 lb. ft. of torque depending the piston compression chosen.

Last edited:
Wow, just cam upgrade push you above 100 HP....that's impressive. If I get mine to get closed to 100HP I am happy....LOL!

Kris.jpg

This is mine

SE585 cams, some headwork, SE air and V&H monster ovals with dresser duals

Stock 103ci and stock compression, pistons and barrels not touched, the build was all about usable torque and reliability

Last edited:
The exhaust helps.
Cam geometry is huge. Especially the scavenging abilities.
The tune also is huge.

Numbers are fun.
But don't get too caught up in them. If your scoot runs strong and you're loving it, numbers don't matter.

Last edited:
Install your .585 lift cams, mill the heads and run a .030 head gasket (easiest and cheapest) for a considerable bump. If you don't want to mill the heads, swap out the Pistons for a set of 6cc domed 11.0:1 CP Pistons.

I have ported and milled heads, 1.900 intake valves and 1.610 exhaust valves, 58mm TB, Wood 777 cams and 6cc domed 11.0:1 CP Pistons, V&H pro pipe and SE Ventilator Elite AC. Not sure what kind of numbers my current setup makes, but I can tell you that when I had all of the aforementioned mods and ran 10.25:1 flat top CP Pistons, I made 109 rwhp and 106 rwtq on the dyno.

Last edited:
Has anyone done 585 cam upgrade on their 103 with Stage 1? What's the maximum HP/torque are you seeing from this cam upgrade (please also include your stage 1 setup, exhaust, breather, tuner)...Dyno results if you have it also please? I don't want to jump in too deep into the motor as I just want more performance out of it. I have plans for my other ride with more ponies which I will be riding alone.

My buddy shop is telling me with 585 cam I will be looking around 90 + HP and 100 + torque with my stage 1 setup now.....so if that's the case I am willing to upgrade.....he also states if he has to get too far into the motor I should spend more $$$$ and just go with piston upgrade also to gain more HP 100 + HP & 120 + torque.....but I don't think I want to go that far but if the deal is right I may.....:D

Thanks for all your info on this!
I'm looking into doing that myself this winter. Im going to go with t-man cams 600ps. Adjustable push rod, springs,and cleaning up my heads. I just put on my new exhaust D n D far cat. It should run me around $2000. That should put me in the 100mph club..will post numbers when it happens.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I'm looking into doing that myself this winter. Im going to go with t-man cams 600ps. Adjustable push rod, springs,and cleaning up my heads. I just put on my new exhaust D n D far cat. It should run me around $2000. That should put me in the 100mph club..will post numbers when it happens.

Great....please keep me posted.....and thanks!

View attachment 12836

This is mine

SE585 cams, some headwork, SE air and V&H monster ovals with dresser duals

Stock 103ci and stock compression, pistons and barrels not touched, the build was all about usable torque and reliability

That's what I was told by my local shop if I go with 585 cam kit with lifters and pushrods.....I can live with that but if they can Dyno it closer to 100HP I will be much happier.....LOL!!!

Install your .585 lift cams, mill the heads and run a .030 head gasket (easiest and cheapest) for a considerable bump. If you don't want to mill the heads, swap out the Pistons for a set of 6cc domed 11.0:1 CP Pistons.

I have ported and milled heads, 1.900 intake valves and 1.610 exhaust valves, 58mm TB, Wood 777 cams and 6cc domed 11.0:1 CP Pistons, V&H pro pipe and SE Ventilator Elite AC. Not sure what kind of numbers my current setup makes, but I can tell you that when I had all of the aforementioned mods and ran 10.25:1 flat top CP Pistons, I made 109 rwhp and 106 rwtq on the dyno.

Yea....I am not going to go that far on my SG.....I will do some insane motor work on my other bike to come later down the road. I just want a bit more HP/Torque on my SG for long ride enjoyment with my wife. She is already scared out of her mind now.....so I don't want to give her heart attack...LOL!!!

The exhaust helps.
Cam geometry is huge. Especially the scavenging abilities.
The tune also is huge.

Numbers are fun.
But don't get too caught up in them. If your scoot runs strong and you're loving it, numbers don't matter.

I hear ya......coming from crotch rocket (ZX12R) pushing 200HP I am hungry for more ponies on my SG.....but not crazy HP gain (who am I kidding, want 100HP is not a huge gain....LOL!)...just enough to blow the doors of some Victory touring bikes on the freeway......LOL!

Yea....I am not going to go that far on my SG.....I will do some insane motor work on my other bike to come later down the road. I just want a bit more HP/Torque on my SG for long ride enjoyment with my wife. She is already scared out of her mind now.....so I don't want to give her heart attack...LOL!!!
Lol thats why I'm not going to port nothing. I just want to wake it up, this 103 and make my fat cat sound extra mean.. My bike sounds deep and loud at stage 1 but i love the sound of a bigger cams.

I was watching S&S T143 that pushing 160HP plus....doing high 9's in bagger......holy batman just imagine that engine in different frame.....of course they are using extremely lite weight Carbon Fiber wheels and billet aluminum parts to reduce weight....that's insane amount of HP out of a touring bike. l

Lol thats why I'm not going to port nothing. I just want to wake it up, this 103 and make my fat cat sound extra mean.. My bike sounds deep and loud at stage 1 but i love the sound of a bigger cams.

I can't wait to hear what it sounds like with my Freedom Performance Turnout 2 to 1 after cam upgrade..... :)

I didn't go with 600ps cams i went with easy start gear drive 585 sns cams and adjustable pushrods. My bike woke up and sound real nice. Its like day and night with the power.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paul90