6.5 Infotainment and Sony 7000 issues.

Tim

Nov 23, 2014
Hi I had an issue with my OEM 6.5 unit. It beeped 3 times as the radio played.
After a lot of time with Harley and a local shop. I found out that the unit needed to be repaired or replaced.
I purchased the Sony 7000. After it got wet and failed the Company where I purchased it sent me a new one.
I have not liked the Sony since new. Its hard to see. The Bluetooth is quirky on connecting. Now the USB 1 is not showing up on the home screen so I can Android Play connect. Just as I am getting ready to ride to Maggie Valley and Gatlinburg.
I have thought about getting the HD unit repaired. Does anyone know where I can have it repaired?

Hi I had an issue with my OEM 6.5 unit. It beeped 3 times as the radio played.
After a lot of time with Harley and a local shop. I found out that the unit needed to be repaired or replaced.
I purchased the Sony 7000. After it got wet and failed the Company where I purchased it sent me a new one.
I have not liked the Sony since new. Its hard to see. The Bluetooth is quirky on connecting. Now the USB 1 is not showing up on the home screen so I can Android Play connect. Just as I am getting ready to ride to Maggie Valley and Gatlinburg.
I have thought about getting the HD unit repaired. Does anyone know where I can have it repaired?

Hey Tim can't help you with the repair, I never looked back having removed the H-D dinosaur technology...

first off wrap your Sony!
costs a few bucks. Get some plastic draw lining and tape it up good. Plenty of step by steps in other forums for doing this
I've been through the water pains you have and I came out the other side with the discovery of IKEA drawer lining. This is England, it rains more than it shines! you can trust me on that one.
wrapping and a Roadies Splash Screen fixed my Sony malfunctioning woes. I've also just taken delivery of a 309 Custom Audio shroud to totally cover the wiring under the wing

Sony Hard to see: turn the brightness up! :cool: goto Settings/Visual/DIMMER and turn it OFF from Auto makes all the difference

quirky Bluetooth: can you be more specific? what phone? what operating system? I'll be honest to use Android Auto you've gotta be wired to USB1, so I rarely use mine in BlueTooth mode.

if you don't have USB1 showing (or you can't reach it through the left joystick) then I'd perform a radio reset and check your firmware is the latest and greatest

the Sony 7000 is still the best upgrade i've done to my 2017 FLHXS

Your Mileage May Vary

PXL_20210716_214440908-1.jpg PXL_20210716_211816435.jpg

Wow thanks for the Info. I have tried vinyl to cover the unit. But what you have shown looks better. USB came up when I connected my phone. Go figure. I will try doing the cover shown . I am trying to do the up dates. Found out it has to be on usb 1. My bad. I also down load Brothers Osborne and Chris Stapleton. But they do not show up on the USB like the rest of my music. I found that M4a file are for USB 1 and MP3 on USB 2. So I converted the files to MP3 and it working great now. Again thanks for the info really nice of you.

Sony 7000 update

Sony 7000 update

What are the changes that come with the latest up date?

pleasure. I think it's also key how you apply the covering of your choice (position of joints/seams/overlaps etc).

What I did, like posts I'd read, was to copy the instal of the Biketronics Radio Wrap the position of the wrap, the tape, things like that.
I will purchase this pricey hard wrap when I get stateside again, as the import is painful to here. why switch? cause I like the flush mount magnetic face it provides vs the Roadies Splash Cover I currently run,
which serves a purpose but looks a little ugly when not on the bike IMHO (brass threads on display)

I have more detailed pics if you want to drop me your email via DM... that might help you get a watertight wrap (like mine)

I had to do something, I cant build my riding around weather... its London! You know: fish, chips, cup 'o tea, bad food, worse weather, Mary fcuking Poppins... LONDON. ;)

Now I was thinking about your missing USB1 when I was looking at the screen yesterday....

I noticed mine wasnt showing USB1 but was showing Android Auto.
If you have an AA or Car Play compatible device on USB1 it doesn't display that as an option.
I only see USB1 when I put my Flash Drive from USB2 on there to demo videos playing...then I get USB1 and USB2 on screen. You can always toggle the source with the left joystick to see USB1, just not on screen it would seem

changes with the firmware update? dunno, bug fixes. Nothing life changing but Sony advise us to do them (you will have to switch USB connections mid way through upgrade BTW starts on USB1, then USB2)

so top tip is to get a little computer app that will convert ALL music to MP3, I'm a Mac user and my huge library is iTunes, so use a tool called TO MP3 CONVERTOR
I drop an entire folder of m4a onto it and ta daaaa as if by magic, its all mp3!

Keep your library file type consistent and it stops confusion. I also remove the hidden files that flag up as UNABLE TO PLAY, that you might see flash up on screen in between tracks.

There are other tech glitches you are going to encounter: like non alphabetical additional artists and missing artists and tracks.
I've found the max file numbers are nowhere near what Sony claim.

But again, I can advise when and if you hit those issues I encountered.

Wow thanks for the Info. I have tried vinyl to cover the unit. But what you have shown looks better. USB came up when I connected my phone. Go figure. I will try doing the cover shown . I am trying to do the up dates. Found out it has to be on usb 1. My bad. I also down load Brothers Osborne and Chris Stapleton. But they do not show up on the USB like the rest of my music. I found that M4a file are for USB 1 and MP3 on USB 2. So I converted the files to MP3 and it working great now. Again thanks for the info really nice of you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allhistory