A little rant... sorry ( military folks )

Spazz

Administrator
Feb 22, 2014
I don't know why this is bothering me right now so much.... I HATE this feeling!:mad:

Why is it that so many places/establishments offer military discounts to ACTIVE DUTY and DEPENDENTS... but NOT VETERANS!?!?!

It makes me feel....like... since we did our time, it doesn't matter anymore....

There are several places that do offer 'blanket' military discounts, and even those who honor veterans holding ID cards when they shouldn't... and I am grateful.

But there are those that just don't make sense... why have ONE SIGN that clearly offers a discount to ACTIVE DUTY and DEPENDENTS... and under that it says WE SUPPORT OUR VETERANS.... when CLEARLY they don't....

Feeling a little peeved right now... ( off my soapbox )

Go easy Spazz. I understand where your coming from. I did my time in the Army/Army Reserve. We can't control others. Not that you are, just saying. I try and keep this thought: No one owes me anything. If another fella gets a break, good for them. Mine may be around the corner. When we signed on the bottom line, there was nothing that said you will be given perks with your signature. It is nice to be recognized. I get that. Maybe someday, Buddy. Keep your head up and just be proud of your service. I try to thank and shake the hand of any veteran of foreign wars that I can recognize while out and about. It's great to see their response. Get a cup of coffee or whatever suits you, kick back and think about your next ride. Take care. Mike

Good response to think about, Mike... good perspective on it as well.... thanks...

I'm not angry about it... it just gets to me sometimes. I don't feel that I RATE anything for what I have done... I did it because I wanted to.... personal choice. I wouldn't change it for anything. I did 20 years in the Marine Corps and retired in 2006.... and while on active duty... I never really thought about it.... I did what I had to do, because I said I would... period.

Seeing things a bit differently now... feeling differently about it as well. Many things I see and hear about military these days gets me all emotional... both good and bad... it was never that way before. The impact it has on me is sometimes greater than I would have expected or prepared for. I deal with it as it comes...

I was just venting some of my frustration......

I have many friends/Brothers that were in the Corps and other services...Some are members here as well... They are my closest to my heart and would do anything for them. We share a lot of the same feelings and a common bond that only we can understand and relate to. I rely on them as they do me... for anything..... it's what we do....we are 'wired' that way...

Semper Fi

Thanks for the 20!!!! I was a short timer. My dad was in the Corps in the late 50's.
I completely understand about the emotional part. It does not take much for me to tear up abit when hearing about a soldiers story or family these days. I take these things personal. I'm not a hard as* by any means, but, people seem to think that because rarely do you not know where I stand, right, wrong or indifferent. We all need to vent and I didn't think you were angry or out of line. Thanks for bringing this topic up as well.

Todd my brother you want me to ride up there and have a couple of JARHEADS go into the establishment and wreck it? Lol if they show it or not I am grateful for everything you did for us in your 20yrs. And I got your back my friend.

Jay

Howdy y'all. I don't typically stop off in The Lounge but could not help but read this thread. After doing so, I felt that I could not leave it without saying "Thank you" to both of you. While I have not served in the military, I believe it is extremely important to recognize those who have along with their families. I have taught my son as well as all my Scouts to do the same. In this day and age, we do not see enough true recognition for those willing to do what needs to be done to keep our great nation safe.

Words cannot ever thank you enough for the time, service and dedication to your fellow countrymen.

Thank you...

Sincerely,
One Grateful American

Todd my brother you want me to ride up there and have a couple of JARHEADS go into the establishment and wreck it? Lol if they show it or not I am grateful for everything you did for us in your 20yrs. And I got your back my friend.

Jay

Jay.... my Brother... as much as it would be sooooo much fun...it would not be worth it.. and they would be out-numbered!!! LOL!!! And you know.. without a doubt... I got YOUR back as well, Brother....

Howdy y'all. I don't typically stop off in The Lounge but could not help but read this thread. After doing so, I felt that I could not leave it without saying "Thank you" to both of you. While I have not served in the military, I believe it is extremely important to recognize those who have along with their families. I have taught my son as well as all my Scouts to do the same. In this day and age, we do not see enough true recognition for those willing to do what needs to be done to keep our great nation safe.

Words cannot ever thank you enough for the time, service and dedication to your fellow countrymen.

Thank you...

Sincerely,
One Grateful American

Thanks for the kinds words... I appreciate it....

I'm with Jay when you need us just give a yell and we will come riding in really loud.
In this day and age people are different in the way they accept and treat and respect retired vets and it pisses me off also.
Have never served but understand the code and feelings that go with it from a law enforcement perspective.
I appreciate the time and sacrifices all of you have given so we can have our freedom in this place called America.
Again thanks to all vets and current service men for helping keep a dream alive.

Just my 2cents

Spazz- I've wondered that myself. Add to that, us Vietnam vets really got cold shouldered coming home. I know it made me feel bad for several years. But you know what? WE (all of us) Know what it's like to write that check with our own A$$e$ and we can all be proud even if we're not still recognized or honored. I'm happy just to know all of you whether you were in or not and that counts more to me. Thanks and a big shout out to all of us ON THIS FORUM ! ! ! ! ! ! ! :)

Thanks Tom and Mojo...

And Mojo... I am totally embarrased and ashamed at how Vietnam Vets were given the 'cold shoulder'... and that doesn't even begin to touch the surface of the true treatment.... sigh

Had a couple VN and Korea vets in my extended family. All knew they were appreciated.

About a year ago I blew off work to go for a ride. Stopped at a local restaurant for breakfast and overheard 2 VN vets discussing their history, issues and VA affairs. I decided that I would buy them breakfast and when the waitress came over to hand them the check I stopped her before she got to them and grabbed the check. I walked over and thanked the gentlemen for their service and let them know breakfast was on me. Both seemed speechless and one teared up. I had a great rest of the day and would hope they did also. It is so simple to do these things, but, people are just to busy with their every day "struggles" to care about such things. I'm not trying to blow my own horn here now, just saying that it's never too late to let these men know they are not forgotten and appreciated. I wish more people had this discussion.

I walked into Kwik Trip behind 2 men in uniform ended up behind them in line at the cash register. They both had a soda pop in there hand. When they stepped up to the counter I did too and paid for there pop shook their hand and said thank you. Now days ppl won't even hold the door open for the ppl walking in behind them or say thank you when you do hold the door open. Society we now live in sucks.

Sent from the mobile leash

Great topic my brothers.

Believe it or not, there are many out there who appreciate those that have served and those still serving. In places that have military bases and those that don't. I can't count how many times a child has come up to me and wanted to take a picture with me or asked for my autograph. I guess that could happen when you wear a Drill Instructor's hat.

by7e4u7y.jpg

This picture was on the front page of the Denver Post, years ago while I was at the Air Force Academy. Instant celebrity. All I was doing was doing my job. A job that I love to this day. During the same time a few of is went to a local eatery. Not thinking anything of it, a man told out waitress to let us order anything we wanted. He never spent a day I. The military but his father who passed away a few weeks before was a drill. I think he did it to remember his dad.

Last summer while I was driving my kids across the country with RV in tow we stopped in Salinas, KS for the night at the KOA. While checking in the owner saw my military ID in the front if my wallet. She thanked me for my service told me the lot was on her and gave me a weeks credit for my points with KOA. I told her she didn't have to do that. And she said I didn't have to serve this country.

They are out there. Those people and business' are out there. We are loved and supported by many. And unfortunately some are just lip service. But you may be surprised when that pat on the back will come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have never served but other family members have. I sure can say that what you all have done is greatly appreciated by me. This goes to ALL my Canadian vets as well to ALL my great neighbours to the south who served to protect North America. You all made sacrifices for the rest of us who could not and I thank each and every one of you and if I could I would shake all your hands and say it personally. When I visit the US I do see your appreciation for your vets way more than up here in Canada. And that sucks. Without all of you who have served past and present we would not be enjoying the Freedom we have right now. Now let's get out there and ride and enjoy what all of you served for.

Thanks Scott, we're all glad you're here with us on the forums !

Thank you all for your service, to those that have served or still are serving.

I was not able to serve due to medical issues that kept me away, but it still didn't stop me from trying. My dad passed when I was 16, however he never talked to me about Vietnam but I was always able to hear some conversations when he got together with his buddies about the treatment they received when they returned. I think the treatment of service members returning are leaps and bounds better than Vietnam, but it could always be better.

Once again thank you for your service, it is very much appreciated.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qman77