Akoury AK-88 vs Akoury AK-66

RuknRole

Aug 23, 2016
I have been using an Outlaw 1/2 helmet (with visor removed) for the last 4 or 5 years. I'm looking for a new helmet and I am considering the Akoury AK-88 and AK-66 Matte helmets.

I didn't see specs listed on their website. Besides the slight difference in shape, are there any other differences between the two? Do both helmets weight the same? Ride the same?

For those of you who have them, which one do you have and how has it held up with wear?

AkouryAK88Matte_zpsayjop3ck.jpg
AkouryAK66_zpspry5gn88.jpg

I have the AK88, I like the fact that it's light weight and has the quick release strap. It's the gloss finish and it seems to get scratched pretty easily. I keep it in my saddlebag and have never dropped it but somehow managed to scratch the top of it.

9e49c22beabb2ef4e5707fe1cb7639fc.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OK, now I see how I'm scratching it. The screw heads from the lid tethers.

17a0d242c1a2e592b56c8cbfe0ac7efc.jpg

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I just purchased AK-66 Carbon, hoping it fits me as when I measured my head it shows 2XL will fit fine. But all my helmets are 3XL so I am really hoping it fits and doesn't look like I have a cone/dome head. But since they advertise that it'll not be the case so I can't wait.

Saw quite a bit of reviews on Youtube and though I love my German helmet I also like the looks of SoA helmet type.

download.php

I just purchased AK-66 Carbon, hoping it fits me as when I measured my head it shows 2XL will fit fine. But all my helmets are 3XL so I am really hoping it fits and doesn't look like I have a cone/dome head. But since they advertise that it'll not be the case so I can't wait.

Saw quite a bit of reviews on Youtube and though I love my German helmet I also like the looks of SoA helmet type.

I like that carbon finish but I think I prefer the shape of the 88 and I didn't see it offered for that model. Let me know how you like it.

Well I decided to give them a try and ordered 2 AK-88s from http://www.blackbeardsgear.com/. A big shout-out to the CEO Blaise who answered my emails almost instantly last night and it was close to midnight. So far outstanding customer service and they offer discounts to active military too.

The helmets came in today. One was fine, the other the inside mesh was not glued.

d283de8d54ad4a18a6704ad7a246dd82.jpg

The Ak-88 rides very low. The tip of your ears need to be tucked into the helmet. This leaves very little room for the riding glasses' earpiece to fit behind the ear. The AK-66 might be a better fit with the SOA cutout.

They are very light and pretty much feel like a bicycle helmet with a full shell.

Not sure I like it. The defective one is going back for sure. Not sure if the wife will keep hers. Well see how she likes it when she tries it on.

Wow, that's quick shipping.....mind is still on Slow boat to China.....in TX so I probably get it this weekend :mad:

I heard about some folks having issues with helmet sitting low where it's bothering them....

I own the Ak-88 and wife has the Ak-66. The only difference is the style. Both are matte finish and very comfortable. I've never heard the complaint about them riding too low and ours fit just fine. We both took our own measurements and ordered based on the measurement scale on their web site. I've always hated the look of half helmets but this one really reduces the mushroom head look. After owning half, 3/4 and full helmets over the years, this is by far my favorite.

I finally got my AK-66 and dang....mushroom looks.....though the measurement is right on but it will not sit low enough and not only it looks small it rides on both rear sides of my head and I can't bare the pain so I am returning it.....the worse part of this is took almost 2 weeks to get to me then now they are charging me 10% restocking fee and I have to pay return postage.......really sucks!

Sorry to hear. Mine got sent back yesterday. I was exited about the helmets too! Bummer!

I din't have a restocking fee but took the hit for shipping it back.

Check out

bikerhelmets.com

they have one of the thinnest DOT approved half helmets, and plenty of styles to choose from. This is what I have been wearing for about a year now, and I love it.....I get complements on how it fits, and the quick release strap latch is awesome too. once this one is ready to get replaced, I will buying from these guys again.

Check out

bikerhelmets.com

they have one of the thinnest DOT approved half helmets, and plenty of styles to choose from. This is what I have been wearing for about a year now, and I love it.....I get complements on how it fits, and the quick release strap latch is awesome too. once this one is ready to get replaced, I will buying from these guys again.

Helmets from bikerhelmets.com look very much similar to Akoury helmets so I am sure they probably came from same manufacturer.....I wish there is a dealer near me so I can go try it out.....no such luck. I chat with someone from that website and no help, just buy it and if it doesn't fit to return it......don't want to deal wit that anymore. I have weird shape head so I just have to live with it and stick to Shoei.... :-(

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Triggerman1067