Anyone use a Autotuner, Fuel Tuner, or Power Commander?

Hessmonster

Jun 19, 2012
Any one have any of the power commander or other type of device. I just hate the idea of going back to Harley for a tune every time I change or add stuff.

I'll be watching this as I too would like to learn more about these devices. Most of my bikes have been carburated.

I used Power Commander V on my Dyna. Worked fine, and was fairly easy to program with canned maps. Fuelmoto has those and can provide maps for your setup. For my SG, I am using SEPST. (Screamin Eagle Pro Super Tuner). It's a bit more expensive, especially once you add the cost of the cables and software, but with SEPST, you are directly programming the ECM and can make and view changes real time. The PCV is a device that you plug into the ECM harness and it basically fools the ECM into providing more or less fuel (depending on how you setup the maps. Canned maps can be programmed into the PCV and it's fairly easy to setup and run. SEPST can be a little more confusing, but you can make and view changes to the ECM in real time. Also, with the SEPST, you can program other changes into the ECM not related to air/fuel mix.

I used Power Commander V on my Dyna. Worked fine, and was fairly easy to program with canned maps. Fuelmoto has those and can provide maps for your setup. For my SG, I am using SEPST. (Screamin Eagle Pro Super Tuner). It's a bit more expensive, especially once you add the cost of the cables and software, but with SEPST, you are directly programming the ECM and can make and view changes real time. The PCV is a device that you plug into the ECM harness and it basically fools the ECM into providing more or less fuel (depending on how you setup the maps. Canned maps can be programmed into the PCV and it's fairly easy to setup and run. SEPST can be a little more confusing, but you can make and view changes to the ECM in real time. Also, with the SEPST, you can program other changes into the ECM not related to air/fuel mix.

I am interested in the SEPST. Does it come with good instructions on how to use it? Have you found any other resourses to help with using it? What was your end cost once you got everything you needed? I would really like to keep my bike all HD.

The instructions are decent. There's a ton of resources out there to help as well. The one thing that had me scratching my head was the fact that when you try to use the software, it talked about different things you need to do when setting up for a tuning run. Looking at the software, none of that was there. I missed, or didn't see, that you have to enable 'Advanced' mode. Felt like a complete dope once that happened. Beyond that, it's fairly simple, as long as you can follow directions. Total cost was right around 460 I believe. Now, that was with my discount through my local HD dealer, but you can also order everything you need through one of the online dealers as well (Lake Shore Harley, New Castle Harley, etc.) Those normally have 10-20% off.

I run the PCV with auto tune on my 10 SG works vary well and best part is that on my VROD I got a PCV for it and since I got the stage 1 and cams all dialed in I just pulled the auto tune off and installed it on the VROD so i only had to buy one. Before long I will be installing it on my xl1200x. So I think is well worth it to buy!!

And PCV is easy to use and install. I'm running a stage 2 Arlen Ness big sucker, Rinehart true duals, and SE 255 cams and the bike runs flawless all I did was install a base map close to my setup and for about 1k mi every 100 miles I would transfer the trim values to the base map..

You should also check out Dyno-Jet's Power Vision tuner. I got the Power Vision for my Sportster, when I put the 1250 kit in it last winter. Power Vision lets you make changes to the EFI program itself and re-flash the new programming onto your bike's ECM. I assume its is like the SEPST.

http://www.dynojet.com/PowerVision/

Dyno-Jet has a "library" of pre-programmed "canned" tunes you can use for your bike (depending on intake and exhaust mods), or you can make your own fuel/spark maps using the auto-tune feature. Power Vision is a pretty sophisticated tool and it takes some time to learn how to use the logging, programming, and auto-tune software. However, the results are worth it. My Sporty runs amazingly well...no offense, but none of the Twinkies in my HOG chapter can keep up with me ;-)

I would also recommend the retailer where I got mine...Fuel Moto.

http://fuelmotousa.com/home.htm

They aren't the cheapest place to buy, but they have great customer service and tech support - which can come in handy when using a very high-tech device like a fuel programmer. If you have a unique intake/exhaust/cam/displacement configuration on your bike, they can supply their own canned tunes for you use.

Two things to bare in mind: EFI programs are pretty complex things and it takes some time and effort to learn how to use the auto-tune features. Second, as of the time I got my Power Vision, you had to "marry" it to your bike's ECM. This meant that you could only use it on one motorcycle. If you had a Sportster and a Street Glide, you would need to buy two units, one for each bike! There was talk of Dyno-Jet changing this limitation, but I don't know if they have yet or not.

I am trying to make the decision between the PC V or the Power Vision now. I get different view points from the vendors. I like Fuel Moto's customer service as I haven't a clue how to program or tune anything.

I am trying to make the decision between the PC V or the Power Vision now. I get different view points from the vendors. I like Fuel Moto's customer service as I haven't a clue how to program or tune anything.

I have heard on the Sportster forum that DynoJet have streamlined the tuning process for Power Vision. (I downloaded the update, but my bike is in pieces in the garage and the roads are covered in ice and snow, so I won't have a chance to play with it for several months.) I think the necessary complexity of an EFI system makes PV a little daunting to some folks. Thus DynoJet must be trying to make it less complex and more consumer friendly. That's also why Fuel Moto gets recommended a lot...its nice to have a friendly voice on the phone if you get stuck in a technical tight-spot.

Lots of folks seem pretty happy with the PC5, too. I guess you won't really go wrong which ever one you choose.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sergiman