Bad shifter shaft and inner linkage

$22.00 for the part and it only took a few minutes to replace. I will order the Pingel model and replace this one (to be kept in saddle bag!) at 20k more miles. I can also say that from now on I will remove the shaft and lube it every 5k and retighten to specs.

e51b8172602d2da1029e8abff94449a8.jpg

181effca9ad82247c5e2883be2b04c58.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yegg, did your shifter shaft lever splines sustain any damage? I keep a spare shaft and a lever on my bike now.

The lever was in great shape. It is from Bad Dad. I guess I will keep the stock one with the shaft. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No problem. I think this is precipitated by aggressively using the heel shifter. Those who have ditched it will probably never experience this issue. Mine let go when I was out there banging gears trying to make sure I put the best whoopin' possible on my brother's 2017 CVO...LOL. Now that I have spare parts onboard, I will probably never need them.

I've got 20K on my OEM's and I use the heel shifter all the time , I just torque check all 4 points regularly , keep em tight and they won't strip.

No problem. I think this is precipitated by aggressively using the heel shifter. Those who have ditched it will probably never experience this issue.

I got rid of the heel shifter before I even did a stage 1 upgrade!!!

I never use the heel shifter and I just had my 3rd one replaced today. You'd think I would be smart and carry a spare.... I talked to the service manager and he told me I should have no more problems though. He said Harley is now making it from harder metal and before they only torqued to pinch bolt to 90 in lbs but now they torque it to 120 in lbs. We'll see....

I've never used heel shifters on any of my Touring bikes and never had a problem stripping shafts.

I just checked a friends 2016 SGS and his pinch bolt was somewhat loose. We tightened it down as much as we could without stripping it but I think it would be a smart move to check it/tighten it on every oil change.

I just checked a friends 2016 SGS and his pinch bolt was somewhat loose. We tightened it down as much as we could without stripping it but I think it would be a smart move to check it/tighten it on every oil change.
Yeah it’s a good habit to check it often unless you like hanging out on the side of the road for a while. There’s only 2 other fixes, but I wouldn’t recommend them, it’ll make it too painful to get it off should you need to do so: 1) weld the lever to the shifter shaft 2) use red locktite on the pinch bolt.

I never use the heel shifter and I just had my 3rd one replaced today. You'd think I would be smart and carry a spare.... I talked to the service manager and he told me I should have no more problems though. He said Harley is now making it from harder metal and before they only torqued to pinch bolt to 90 in lbs but now they torque it to 120 in lbs. We'll see....
I’d heard there was a new design but I thought I’d read that the new splines larger &/or spaced differently so they couldn’t be used on previous years. I guess not. I’ll definitely have to look at getting one.

I’d heard there was a new design but I thought I’d read that the new splines larger &/or spaced differently so they couldn’t be used on previous years. I guess not. I’ll definitely have to look at getting one.

I had to take mine apart to adjust the levers so I could get my feet under (I don't use the heel shifter, its only there only for looks) and I didn't notice any noticeable changes in the splines or design.

I had to take mine apart to adjust the levers so I could get my feet under (I don't use the heel shifter, its only there only for looks) and I didn't notice any noticeable changes in the splines or design.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brandon1165