Batwing or Shark?

Grutch

Jul 26, 2017
I'm sure many of you have pondered the same question.

I'm in the market for an HD cruiser to travel around half the USA next summer. I have gone on test rides for both the Road Glide, and Street Glide both with stage 2 kits.

The RoadGlide handles better on the highway but feels a little more cumbersome in the twists. Also the models I rode served me with some nasty wind buffeting that could likely be alleviated with some different windshield options. I didn't like the instrument panel being a little further away and had to reach a tad to access the touchscreen on the infotainment system (that's what joysticks are for!).

The StreetGlide is affected by the wind a lot more, a passing big rig gave me a little more of a push than I expected and I intentionally let him fly by me on the freeway just to experience the wind gust. The streetglide felt a little more "nimble" for lack of a better word, and handled the curves more comfortably. The daymaker lamp in the evening is sooo much better than what the RG offers.

I didn't notice any difference in power between the bikes but I can say I'm really torn on deciding what to go with.

I'm deciding on a:

2017 CVO Streetglide

2017 RoadGlide Special + Stage 4 Upgrade + Detachable Tail Kit/ Detachable Sissy bar

2017 StreetGlide Special + Stage 4 Upgrade + Detachable Tail Kit/ Detachable Sissy bar

Everybody here went SG, Tell me what helped you make your decision? Do any of you quietly ponder that the RG may have been the better option?

There's no right or wrong answer, other than what works best for your situation. Personally, I think the RG only looks good from about 2 angles. The rest of the angles (including the angle you see when you're seated) are a bit awkward. Sort of reminds me of sitting on a snowmobile, where the fairing doesn't move and the handlebars rotate internally. The sales gal at my local Harley Dealer is maybe 95 lbs. She recently bought a RG. I asked why she picked it over a SG, and she said that since the RG fairing is attached to the frame, it is easier for her to handle in the twisties. She said the SG required too much arm strength. This is a phenomenon I've never noticed, but I'm as big as 3 of her

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The RG is a bit more stable going down the highway. The SGS can be configured with various options to cut down on the wind and turbulence. There are a number of threads here that discuss it but with the right height windshield, "fork fangs" (fork mounted wind deflectors), and adjustable fairing mounted wind deflectors you can almost cut out all the negative wind effects. I have all that and it is so smooth I can actually smoke a cigar while cruising 80 down the interstate. Now if I can just figure out where to set my bourbon....

Had a salesman explain it to me and it's the best explanation I have heard so far. If you are used to riding dirt bikes, 4 wheelers and toys like that you are used to the weight of the fairing of the Street Glide and it feels more comfortable to you. The Road Glide is lighter at the handlebars and handles the winds better especially cross winds. I like my Street glide and won't switch anytime soon because I like the feel. Have several friends that ride the Road glide and love them to so it's a personnel choice. I know a day riding in heavy wind I can feel the fatigue of fighting the fairing but that's what I like about it.

Good luck with your choice and keep us posted on what you pick.

On a Street Glide your hands are out of the wind, behind the fairing, on a Road Glide your hands are up in the wind. I like my Street Glide.
Each to their own.

Yep, had a RG when they had they old fairing. I really liked the old fairing on the rg, then on new one they made it smaller. For me there is much more wind turbulence on the Road Glide. You are much more protected on the streetglide. That CVO is a sweet bike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

On a Street Glide your hands are out of the wind, behind the fairing, on a Road Glide your hands are up in the wind. I like my Street Glide.
Each to their own.

This is an interesting observation to point out. I didn't think about that and considering it's colder up here in Washington most of the year (and wetter) perhaps the StreetGlide is the better Choice.

I ride to work (only work-if I'm close to home) in below freezing temps, like 22 degrees Fahrenheit. Without gloves.......WITHOUT GLOVES! Love that fairing.
However, I've never rode a RG, so I can't say I know of a difference in that aspect. But, as stated, to each their own.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I did my Saddle Sore 1,000 one of the guys was riding a Road Glide, it was in mid Sept, we left at 4:00am & got back at 10:30pm, I remember the guy on the Road Glide having to put warmer gloves on because his hands were cold, also the other rider had a Ultra but he had higher bars on it that put his hands in the wind, he also had heated grips, they both had to put on warmer gloves. I wore my harley summer gloves all the way.

I had a 2013 CVO road glide and it was ok for a while but I have to say the road glides are just ugly bikes. I have had several batwings and they work for me. I don't think I will ever go back to a road glide.

I always preferred the look of the RG as well as having the frame take all the extra weight.
I had intended to get a RG when I finally went over to the dark side...umm, upgraded to a bagger.
But after sitting on both I realized I didn't care for the instrument layout on the RG as well as I did the SG so that's what I picked.
The SG has all the gauges set just below the windscreen and are much quicker to access.
The RG has the infotainment screen above the (important)gauges, which I don't care for.

Last edited:
I've always liked the looks of the Street Glide low and sleek stealthy look , got a helluva deal on mine. My wife had her eyes set us on a new Teal/pearl Hearitage softail. No regrets after a few rides getting use to it love it. I have friends with road glides they love em..😎

I went from a 14SGS to 15 RGS...i never knew the real difference until I had some good seat time on my RGS.

1. Front end is much more nimble on the RGS with no weight on the forks from faring

2. RGS cuts the winds way better.. you don't realize it until you get good 30mph crosswinds, but it's HUGE

3. The faring is a far reach away from the SGS, but you get used to it... and thumb controls work...lol only drawback for the RGS.

4. Wind turbulence is minimal on the RGS with a new windscreen... same as SGS with a screen...but much less... and I run 14" bars on my RGS and had 12" bars on the SGS... my hands are not as cold on the RGS in the colder weather... seems odd... but true

Either scoot is the real deal... with seat time on both... I would opt for a Road Glide knowing what I know now

Spazz- If I still lived in the West I would be on a RGS as well. Lots of wind and cross winds out there!

Mojo.... I hear ya... but I love the RGS on ToD!!

You guys are making me want to test ride a RGCVO!

I haven't even road one yet, and I'm wanting a road glide!!!!! Everything I hear about them is better. Less weight on the bars, better in the wind,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha dont do this to me, i was sure i would keep this SG forever, get a bar hopper when money allowed, now im thinking RG :/

Haha. Cdodt
Man. There's a reason I've been putting off test riding a road glide

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith