Best Lowering Links

joshvtook

Sep 2, 2016
Hey everyone!

I'm a proud new owner of a 2016 Street Glide Standard. I have been doing some reading on upgrades, add-ons, etc. for these bikes and came across the idea of lowering the rear of the bike. I have been seeing and reading where it's really easy to install some lowering links, and doing so actually improves handling and the ride of the bike. I was wondering if you guys or gals agree with that, and if so, what would you suggest as a good kit to buy. Nothing too expensive...you know...since I just shelled out the cash to buy this bike.

Any other kinds of add-ons and upgrades you could suggest would be awesome too! So far I've only put an HID headlight in it, am looking into drilling out the baffles in the exhaust vs. buying some slip-ons, and a couple Willie G. logos here and there.

Thanks for the help and advice!!

-Josh

I saw lowering links on eBay and at other suppliers. They change the angle of the shock, I don't think the ride or handling will improve. I got used to the ride height of my bike over time. Lowering the stock seat or getting a lower seat works but the ride will probably get worse.
Drilling stock mufflers makes them louder but does not make a nice exhaust note. For $200 I installed late model CVO take-off mufflers after removing the cat.
Willie G stuff is a very personal thing I guess.
Maybe ride the bike for a while and keep doing research for stuff you want to change so you don't waste your money like I did.

I found some on Amazon from Black Path for about $50. I read some of the reviews and there were a few people saying they didn't fit, etc. But to every bad review, the company had replied asking them to specify the problem, or send the links back. And, if you go to their website, you can contact the tech support people and ask them questions. So, I did that. They were emailing me on a Saturday morning asking what version I had, if I could send them pics without the bags on, and how low I wanted to drop it. The guy assured me that I would be able to lower it by an inch, the ride and handling wouldn't be compromised, and if I didn't like them, I could send them back without any questions asked, and they would pay for the shipping.

I haven't gotten them yet, but I am thinking I will in the next couple of weeks...Ya know, after payday.

I have the BlackPath on my '16 Glide. Easy install, no problems with ride quality. With a passenger I just add 8lbs of air to the shocks and all is good.

Had them on my 2012.....had a funny vibration on acceleration & when hitting a dip in the road, took them off because of that reason. If they will fit yours I'll sell them to you cheap. Chris

I have the BlackPath on my '16 Glide. Easy install, no problems with ride quality. With a passenger I just add 8lbs of air to the shocks and all is good.

You wouldn't happen to be able to post some pics of them installed, would you? Or have the instructions? They only sent me the parts...no install instructions.

Had them on my 2012.....had a funny vibration on acceleration & when hitting a dip in the road, took them off because of that reason. If they will fit yours I'll sell them to you cheap. Chris

I just got some in a day or two ago. Thanks though!

Don't want to hijack the thread but has anyone used the LA Choppers lowering blocks? I have a buddy that bought a set and it looks like the rear wheel has to be removed to put them on his 2014 SG. Anyone done this?

I have had the lowering kit off ebay and it worked well. It didn't handle any different just better for us short guys. save your money and get the air ride off ebay for $200. I may still have my lowering links for my 2015 you can have if you pay for shipping or I can put together a parts list and you can order all the parts to build your own air ride based on the kit I have. you can get all the parts on Amazon for around $175.

You can also cut out the Baffles by using a hole saw or a dremel or cut off too. that was my first mod as soon as I got home from the dealer. you can look it up on youtube and its simple if you have the tools .

Last edited:
Congrats on the new bike Josh, I picked up my 2016 FLHX on August 30. I will be lowering both the front and rear. Progressive in the front and some cheap lowering blocks from epay (I think they were like less than 30 dollars). I'll install the lowering blocks myself but will farm out the front end work. I let you know how it goes. When you say baffles are you talking about drilling out the catalytic converter? Other changes I will make include a FP3 Getting rid of my converter, slip-ons and a AC. Let me know how make out drilling you baffles pls.
Aloha.....Mike

Congrats on the new bike Josh, I picked up my 2016 FLHX on August 30. I will be lowering both the front and rear. Progressive in the front and some cheap lowering blocks from epay (I think they were like less than 30 dollars). I'll install the lowering blocks myself but will farm out the front end work. I let you know how it goes. When you say baffles are you talking about drilling out the catalytic converter? Other changes I will make include a FP3 Getting rid of my converter, slip-ons and a AC. Let me know how make out drilling you baffles pls.
Aloha.....Mike

Thank Mike! I love it so far!

I took a dremel and cut through the weld seam on the baffles in the mufflers. It sounds MUCH better, but it isn't anywhere near the good sound of some slip-ons. However, for right now, and a free mod, they will do.

I have had the lowering kit off ebay and it worked well. It didn't handle any different just better for us short guys. save your money and get the air ride off ebay for $200. I may still have my lowering links for my 2015 you can have if you pay for shipping or I can put together a parts list and you can order all the parts to build your own air ride based on the kit I have. you can get all the parts on Amazon for around $175.

You can also cut out the Baffles by using a hole saw or a dremel or cut off too. that was my first mod as soon as I got home from the dealer. you can look it up on youtube and its simple if you have the tools .

If you could put that list together, that would be awesome! Thanks!

Sorry, no pics right now. I will get a couple when I get home this evening...
The round bar goes to the inside and rests against the swingarm. The single hole goes where the shock was originally bolted. The two hole go toward the rear of the bike. Furthest hole back is 2" drop.
Hope this helps.
Jim

I ran across your post about an air ride kit I can order up parts for or ebay? Can you fill me in on what you have please? I have a 2014 street glide special. thank you

Josh it probably wont get any louder unless you drill the converter out. I was originally going to replace the pipes and mufflers and add an aftermarket AC. Decided to buy the FP3 instead and drill out my baffles and converter. I just ordered the FP3 from Amazon at $289 free shipping and my AC should be in soon. I ordered the Black Kuryakyn Velociraptor AC. I got my lowering blocks but still need to put them on...i'm such a lazy chit ;0) Just curious if anyone knows how many beers it takes to install the blocks? 6-12 or 18 pack?

Jim the you tube videos I saw recommended to only drop it one inch as the shocks may bottom out otherwise. Maybe someone who has actually installed them could chime in?

Josh I just installed the lowering blocks. Duck soup!! On the BTTS (Beer to time spent) scale it was a very generous 1. Some means of lifting the bike is needed, a bike jack would be best but a scissors jack would work if its all you got. Get the rear tire an inch or two off the ground and remove both saddle bags. Loosen both top shock bolts a turn or two and then remove one of the bottom shock bolts. That shock should now be able to pivot on the top bolt. Install the appropriate lowering block for the side you're working using one of the short bolts that came with your kit (don't forget the blue locktite) Do not tighten any bolts yet, just run them all the way in. With the bolts loose you will be able to line up the bottom shock bolt and install it . Again don't tighten just run it up and leave it a few turns from tight. Now go to the other side and repeat the procedure. After all bolts are in place then lower the jack and have someone hold the bike straight up while you tighten all bolts. I chose the two inch drop even though I have heard the shocks may bottom out in that position. If it rides too rough I will raise back to the one inch drop. With the two inch drop I am now able to put both feet (wearing slippers) flat on the ground. Yes slippers!! I'm in Hawaii and have been riding that way for over 35 yrs. I had originally planned to lower the front but its really not necessary now so I'll take the money I'm saving and use it for a LED Headlight ;0). Still waiting for the FP3 and Velociraptor AC. Once I have the FP3 and AC installed I'll drill out the converter. I'll map it and ride it a few days then I'll drill the baffles out and re-map it. I'll post progress as it comes.

Aloha....Mike

Last edited:
Update on the 2" lowering block position. It does bottom out and rode like a hardtail. Added 15 psi air to the factory air shocks. I can still put both feet flat on the ground but even at 15 I still bottom out on the bigger bumps. Will try a few more psi. But as is the bottoming out is livable as long as I ride solo.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith