Better ride?

Jimbo670

Jul 18, 2014
What does everybody feel is the better ride. The rear shock on the 2015 GSS with the knob adjuster or the air shocks from the 2013 shocks. Both are factory set ups. I have the 2015 and am wondering if it's worth the effort to go back to the air shocks. Any input is appreciated.

If your going to change to air shocks from Harley they are air over oil. There are a lot of air ride kits out there that are straight air and ride better from what I understand. When you start to research types of shocks all the different offerings out there it get overwhelming. I went with the Ohlins rear shocks and will install the front cartridges in the next couple weeks. There are several different shocks out there in every price range. After installing the rear shocks I couldn't believe the difference almost like going from a hard tail to a soft and more planted.

Good luck with your choice and keep us posted.

My ride is a 2012. Original air shocks were swapped for Rushmore hand adjustable. Both are 12" I thought there was a slight improve initially but stilli snt work a crapola. They only way out is aftermarket in a 13" variety..And Ive done tons of research.
BTW. I am #225 and even with the hand adjustables dialed down to 0 they are firm so..If youre weight is below that youre screwed for sure..

The special shocks are definitely an upgrade over the air shocks. My 2015 standard came with the air shocks and I bought a used pair from a forum member and I've been much happier with them. I'm not saying they are great by any means but they are an upgrade.

I'd leave it stock and start saving for a new suspension. You'd think with what they charge for these bikes they'd make them ride and handle like a 30k bike should right from the factory. I went through this last year, after painstaking research on the subject for a few weeks, I went with Legends Axeos up front and their Revo-A 13's on the rear. It was a little spendy but it was worth every penny.

What does everybody feel is the better ride. The rear shock on the 2015 GSS with the knob adjuster or the air shocks from the 2013 shocks. Both are factory set ups. I have the 2015 and am wondering if it's worth the effort to go back to the air shocks. Any input is appreciated.

In my opinion, I think the better option is save up some money so you can put far superior aftermarket shocks on them. The upgrade in comfort between the '15 & '13 shocks will be negligible whereas a good set of aftermarket shocks will provide a MUCH more comfortable ride and better handling characteristics. Sure the ride might still suck in the short-term if you go this route, however I feel you'll be much happier in the long run in if you invested in quality aftermarket shocks.

Hope this helps!

Lindsey :0)

I had the air shocks on my 14 SG and no matter how I adjusted them the ride never got any better. As Lindsey said, go for the better after market shocks.. big difference..

I ordered a set of Revo's 13". I dont feel like I ride aggressive enough nor feel like I would be tweeking the rebound very often. Despite living near Howard of Motorcycle Metal and sitting with him discussing options, I chose the Legends because of the tool less ability to adjust preload. I ride 2 up occasionally and need to adjust for that. Turning the spring just seems to be a better way than carrying around a spanner or getting 1/2 turns using a punch to adjust pre load.

I ordered a set of Revo's 13". I dont feel like I ride aggressive enough nor feel like I would be tweeking the rebound very often. Despite living near Howard of Motorcycle Metal and sitting with him discussing options, I chose the Legends because of the tool less ability to adjust preload. I ride 2 up occasionally and need to adjust for that. Turning the spring just seems to be a better way than carrying around a spanner or getting 1/2 turns using a punch to adjust pre load.

Interesting on how you made your decision. Makes sense to me.. I seem to be leaning in that direction with the Legends.

My ride is a 2012. Original air shocks were swapped for Rushmore hand adjustable. Both are 12" I thought there was a slight improve initially but stilli snt work a crapola. They only way out is aftermarket in a 13" variety..And Ive done tons of research.
BTW. I am #225 and even with the hand adjustables dialed down to 0 they are firm so..If youre weight is below that youre screwed for sure..

I went with the 13" figuring it would give me an extra inch of travel. Wasn't to hard to bottom out on the 12's no matter how I adjusted them.. Made quite the difference..

I went through a progression on my 14 , came with the air shocks , got rid of those after 65 miles for a set of adjustable take offs , think I paid $225 for them , much better than the OEM air shocks but certainly not worth the $550 retail price. If you can find a set reasonable there worth it , they have come down in price since I found mine in early 15.

I'm running Ohlins now , you can get Ohlins in the same price range as the legend Revo's , also Fox makes some nice shocks in that price range , all good choices for an upgrade.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith