Cam plate and oil pump swap?

buckshot85

Aug 18, 2013
I have some more engine mods coming up in a few weeks.
I'm having Fuel Moto I installing 107 jugs with 10.5 compression pistons and their level B heads. All ready have the Woods 777 cams, lifters and adj. push rods.

I've read a few articles on taller cam profiles and how they can make it difficult for the lifters to stay pumped up. There is also some articles that claim the stock pump doesn't scavenge enough.

I guess I'm looking for opinions or your experience if an aftermarket plate and pump are worth it or has been installing the Baisley spring in the OEM set up been enough.

I am using the Fueling cam plate with Fueling OE+ pump and my oil pressure is great! When cruising at anything under 3K rpm my pressure gauge reads, 49 psi. At 3300 and above my pressure gauge reads 52 psi.

I just installed the H-D SE cam plate and pump. I ran the S&S plate and pump with gear drive before that. My only strong recommendation is don't mix brands of oil pumps and cam plates. The porting on the cam plate is specifically designed for the oil pump.

Bronze cam bearings instead of aluminum is the main improvement I've seen. I'm not sure what is ideal oil pressure. Too much will add more load and wear to the the hydraulic cam chain tensioners. There needs to be a balance between oil supply flow and oil scavenge capacity.

Per S&S cam plate instructions: "Turning the pressure adjusting screw in more than necessary will cause high oil pressure at high RPM’s but will also needlessly raise oil temperature and rob horsepower without really raising low rpm oil pressure. Ideally you want to keep your oil pressure as low as you can while keeping the tappets quiet."

I do not believe this completely as there are piston cooling jets that should spray significant oil at high power to cool the pistons. Harley specs for the Twin Cam engine are: warm engine at 55 mph and up: 30 to 38 psi, Warm engine At idle: at least 10 psi.

I would like to see 15 psi at idle and around 40 at high speed cruise. My S&S pump ran near 32 psi all the time.

Yes. The pump worked fine. The regulator is adjustable and I could have set a higher pressure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Taz107