Check oil light

Stl-BooDog

Sep 28, 2016
This has happened to me a few times already.

I have a 2017 Street Glide Special. My check oil light comes on, and the vehicle status screen doesn't show a oil pressure reading when it normally say OK or check oil...

I usually notice the light before I take off, I shut everything down and allow the bike to reboot and it's all good... When it happens the bike doesn't feel any different, I checked the oil level and of course its fine...

I managed to get a photo this time before resetting.

I have an appointment later this week to let the dealer have a look. Wondering if anyone has experienced this?
b27c048ebaeef23a14a2756689b97d02.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Have not seen that yet on my bike. May be too new... Hope all is well with yours...

I also have a 2017 SGS, When my bike had 300 miles on it, I had the same issue, my oil light came on and stayed on, I did the same thing, pulled over, shut it off, when I restarted the light stayed out, Right after that I went on a trip, I had about 1500 miles on it, same thing happened, both times was when I was driving slow in town. I took to the dealer I bought from, they couldn't find anything wrong with it, they left an oil pressure gauage attached to it for three days and never saw an issue. I asked them if they could install a new oil pressure sender in case it happened again so we could rule that out [they wouldn't], my bike now has approx. 5,000 miles on it and it hasn't happened since.

I have a 17 SGS and have the same problem. Light will come on at start up and not go off. Shut everything down, start it back up and everything is fine. Have notice a more than usual valve train noise when this happens. I've got 2800 or so miles on her and this started happening around 1900 miles. only happens once in a while. Got to love new technology.

I've got 4800 miles on the clock, and it's happened to me a handful of times.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have a 17 SGS and have the same problem. Light will come on at start up and not go off. Shut everything down, start it back up and everything is fine. Have notice a more than usual valve train noise when this happens. I've got 2800 or so miles on her and this started happening around 1900 miles. only happens once in a while. Got to love new technology.

First, I have to point out that most of us think we see or hear stuff that wasn’t there before when our attention is drawn to something. However, if you are certain that the valve train noise sounds louder when this is going on then you need to take your bike to the dealer and make sure that your observation is noted on the work order and you get a printed copy of that. If it’s your oil pump, instead of the sender or wiring, then it could result in something very bad, and you’ll need documentation of how early it started.

I believe that it’s crappy electronics, but I’m just sayin...

Happened to my 17 SGS when it was less than 2500 miles. It was the sending unit. Replaced under warranty, no problems since.

Wait till the little red light turns off before starting the bike. I believe that little red light has something to do with the security system. My bike was doing the same. 18,000 miles later no problem on a 2017 FLHX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine has had an issue where the oil light will come on, sometimes at startup, sometimes while riding. Usually it will reset after restart. However last time I ride it it threw a check engine codes. One for low pressure and one for high pressure. I haven’t had time to take it in. But I also watch a couple YouTube videos about it and it seems the M8 may have an oiling problem. And there are better cam plates and oil pumps that can address the issue. I’d like to verify the problem before throwing money at it. But with only 40,000 miles on it it kind of pisses me off to be having this kind of issue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tulsa