Clearwater Erica Dimmable LED Light Kit Review

MotoMouthMoshe

Aug 31, 2016
Here's another Clearwater review - this time, of the midsized Erica models. More than enough for any application, if you ask me.

-MKL

Good God. If I wasn't broke from buying a Harley id have these on my Harley! Catch 22 there. They no doubt seem top notch but it's not often that Harley sells a cheaper product, albeit less effective.

If you get the opportunity, I'd love to see more Led reviews, for all applications; head light, driving, fog, side markers and tail lights.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

Hi-

The main benefit to these, which is complete integration into the bike's CANbus computer for automated operation via stock switchgear, doesn't apply to Harleys. So they can be a bit expensive for "just lights," even though they're fantastic lights.

For Harleys there are plenty of good choices. On a budget up front up I'm partial to Truck-Lite. They're available all over - see https://www.amazon.com/Truck-lite-Headlight-Drive-Harley-Davidson-Touring/dp/B00Q0TIGSS I met the engineer who created them at a military show. They're actually used on HMMWVs, tanks, and other military vehicles, with an integrated defogger. Turns out Harleys use the same sizes (7" or 5-3/4") so they just eliminated the defogger, modified it to work with 12VDC instead of 24VDC, and there you are. These are every bit as good as the rebranded LED lights Harley sells (which are really just "Speaker" brand, mostly) at a fraction of the cost.

Out back, there are some nice choices too. My two favorite for Harley would be

1) Admore's new Light Bar http://www.admorelighting.com/light-bars/AdMore-Light-Bar-Premium-Smoked-Lens

I've tested this for BMW but it works on any brand. For $199 you get brakes, turn signals, and complete customization via an on-board USB port you can connect to your laptop to modify all settings. ALSO, you get an integrated accelerometer -meaning the brake lights can be actuated by G-force alone on deceleration. This is a great safety feature because it alerts traffic behind you if you (for example) downshift hard, without you having to actually hit the brakes. (You can turn this on and off and modify the G threshold as desired - but the idea is brakes will light up without you actually hitting the brakes.) No problem on CANbus bikes, either.

2) Skene P3 - http://www.lights.skenedesign.com/P3_Features.shtml These are a staple in the sport-touring community. They work well, are very small, and don't cost too much. They can be programmed, too. When actuated they are bright as all hell!

Hope this helps.

-MKL

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch. I've had Hyper lites on back of my last two bikes and have been quite impressed with them. I'm going to focus on front lights first since I have already added some light side and rear, but life keeps getting in the way.

I definitely like truck lite LEDs. I saw a great (Harley centered) comparison of the TL phase 6 and 7 versus the jw speaker and was very impressed with the TL 7 as it floods to the sides more than the projector type jw

Sent from my Droid Turbo 2 using Tapatalk.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Emurillo89