Clutch Adjustment

GreybeardSG

Jul 20, 2022
Hello everyone. FNG Dave here looking for some advice. I have an 06 SG that I just replaced the clutch basket assembly and clutch cable. I adjusted the internal clutch with the adjustment bolt by turning it until I felt resistance and then backed off a half turn. Now when I take off and in all gears, I am getting this bumping/slipping feeling. It is even worse when on an upslope. I have readjusted several times but can’t seem to get the bumping/slipping sensation to go away. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Dave

I am assuming that by you saying you replaced the clutch basket that you separated the clutch basket from the clutch hub and in the process you installed a new clutch hub bearing. When you installed the clutch hub, primary chain and compensator as an assembly you properly torqued the mounting nut and bolt that secure the compensator and clutch basket and applied the correct loctite. The chain adjuster is properly installed and torqued. The process for adjustment is before starting the process you first loosen the clutch cable adjuster backed off all the way. Then you loosen the clutch push rod adjuster nut you back off the adjustment then turn in the adjuster until you fell pressure this is the clutch pack separating. Continue to turn adjust about a turn and you will actually see the clutch moving then back off adjuster until you have no pressure on adjuster and turn it in until you feel the slightest resistance then back off adjuster a half turn then tighten nut on adjuster while you hold adjuster stationary. Next go to the cable adjustment and adjust the cable until you have the proper gap between the clutch cable end and clutch mounting bracket, cycle the lever to ensure it feels normal. If it feels normal take it for a test ride if not then repeat the above procedure. If issue is still present or lever does not feel normal you could have an issue with the clutch cable ramp not seating properly. The ramp is on the right hand side of bike as you are sitting on bike it is attached to the cover where the clutch cable goes into the transmission side cover. You will only have an issue in there if you did not properly follow the sequence of removing all the cable slack first before backing off clutch push rod adjuster. As there are 3 balls that seat in the ramp and they have to be sitting properly in the actual ramp grooves. Did you verify that you installed the clutch friction plates and steel plates properly. You start with a friction plate and end with s friction plate. Did you replace the clutch pack or did the original clutch pack go back in

Reactions: GreybeardSG
You stated that you replaced the clutch cable in doing so did you install clutch cable into cover first and attach it ramp and insure that the ramp was units neutral centered position. Inspect the throw out bearing to ensure the little c clip was still in position. Just route cable on underside of bike and then route it up to lever.

Correct. Upon replacing all items on the primary side I ensured all where torqued correctly. The clutch basket assembly was a complete piece when I purchased it from HD. So I reinstalled same way the old basket assembly was. When adjusting clutch at clutch basket assembly, I turned adjustment bolt until I hit resistance and then backed off a half turn. Prior to that I endured that there was slack at the clutch lever. When I replaced the clutch cable. I made sure that the inner ramp was set back to the correct location and that the ball bearings were back in place correctly and reinstalled. Did I miss a step somewhere?

I reason I stated above to turn the Allen wrench another turn after you feel resistance on the adjuster was to ensure that the clutch plates were starting to separate then back of adjuster and turn adjuster until you feel slight resistance then back off a 1/2 turn is because sometimes the adjuster threads or the plate the adjuster screws into could have a gouge on the threads and you are stopping at that point thinking you have made contact with the clutch rod and you have not. For a piece of mind you could remove adjuster and adjuster plate which is held on with a snap ring remove items and then screw adjuster through plate ensuring there is no point where there is resistance. Another thing to check is to ensure that friction plates and steel plates are not hanging up in grooves on the new clutch basket assembly. Harley’s clutch baskets are made from cast molds and there could be some imperfections. Are you using the same clutch packs that was removed from the old clutch basket?

All clutch basket components are new. But I will break it back it back down and check like you recommended. Hopefully this will get me back on the road. Thanks for the advice.

Just a thought, how much free play is in you clutch lever? Put some in it then adjust your clutch at the hub.

I put a fair amount of play in it prior to making the adjustment clutch hub. I am going to break it back down tomorrow and see what I find. Also one guy mentioned soaking the clutch plates. What does that mean?

When you go back into the primary pull the clutch stack out the steel and friction plates take the friction plates and put them in a container or freezer zip loc bag pour new primary oil in bag ensuring that all the friction plates are covered with oil and let them soak in oil for 15 minutes then one at a time remove the friction plates wipe them off with your finger tips and install them into the clutch basket remember you start with a friction plate and end the stack with a friction plate. The clutch pack should have been removed and pre soaked before you did the first assembly. Do you have a shop manual for your year bike? If you have a dial or digital caliper measure the steel plates and install the thicker steel plate into clutch hub first as the inner hub area holds more heat and as you build the stack the thinner steel plates will go in. The steel plates are different thicknesses because the total clutch pack height has to be a certain total height

How many miles are on it? I'd hate for you to be ripping it apart and not fixing your issue. Have you looked at your compensator for signs of wear?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eduzueta