Converting stock HD exhaust to 2 into 1

NGOT8R

Feb 15, 2015
Alright exhaust experts, I need your expert opinions. Does anyone think there would be some benefit in converting a stock HD exhaust into a 2 into 1 system by blocking off the crossover pipe? Could this possibly be a good option for those of us who might want to run a 2 into 1 with stretched bags? Has anyone done this, or do you know someone who has? If so, how did it turn out? I am considering doing this to my M8 BTW. Thanks

Just my 2cents, but if the stock pipe is the same diameter as the 2 into one I’d think u would gain just as much hp, aftermarket or fabricated. But obviously if the after market one your comparing to has larger diameter, you would gain more.Chris

Alright exhaust experts, I need your expert opinions. Does anyone think there would be some benefit in converting a stock HD exhaust into a 2 into 1 system by blocking off the crossover pipe? Could this possibly be a good option for those of us who might want to run a 2 into 1 with stretched bags? Has anyone done this, or do you know someone who has? If so, how did it turn out? I am considering doing this to my M8 BTW. Thanks

If you are leaving the motor stock or stage 1 there probably would be no benefit and in fact the performance might be hurt. Consider that the majority of exhaust gases exit the right side anyway. You probably could block off the crossover and eliminate the left side muffler and then score a right side only aftermarket replacement muffler with better flow than stock. Might work but a good 2 into 1 is tuned for the engine and your idea, maybe not so much.
Here's some info:
http://www.harley-performance.com/harley-exhaust.html

Blues

Thanks for the input guys! It is just something that I've been considering. I have been fighting with myself not to even do any exhaust mods, but my buddy, who is a self employed certified HD mechanic and master fabricator wants to decat my stock header. I was just thinking that if I decide to let him do it, maybe I should have him block off the crossover pipe too if there would be some benefit from it.

Thanks for the input guys! It is just something that I've been considering. I have been fighting with myself not to even do any exhaust mods, but my buddy, who is a self employed certified HD mechanic and master fabricator wants to decat my stock header. I was just thinking that if I decide to let him do it, maybe I should have him block off the crossover pipe too if there would be some benefit from it.

What would your friend charge to do the de-cat work? I've seen some videos and it looks like it's a PITA.

But I do like that as an alternative if it doesn't cost what an aftermarket head-pipe would nearly cost.

What would your friend charge to do the de-cat work? I've seen some videos and it looks like it's a PITA.

But I do like that as an alternative if it doesn't cost what an aftermarket head-pipe would nearly cost.

The pipe has to be cut in half at the cat, after which he removes the cat and then Tig welds the pipe back together. I've watched him do it once and it is a PITA, as the cat is real stubborn and not easy to get out. Would you remove your own pipe or would you want him to do everything? Let me know which and I will get a price and get back to you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith