Custom Auxiliary Lighting Kit 67800367

malcvtr

Oct 11, 2016
I've just managed to get this kit cheaper on eBay. I'm now wondering which lamps fit - the 4.5" or the 4". Does anyone know? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Well, tried to fit the lights today and ran into a problem. The assembly of the kit went well, but when I went to fit the indicator bulbs into the new housings, it was no go.

One look inside showed why - my bulbs are single contact but the housings in the kit are double contact. That got me thinking about the wiring on my bike. There are three indicator wires to the kit connector, but only two on my bike. I decided to stop and see if you guys have any advice.

Pics below will maybe clarify my problem.

fef243fa3c8636b82b9b80843f82b1d0.jpg
4cd2c315a37d50551af1ef6e98afea31.jpg
85133b50be4de699d2039ada6487a806.jpg
075c16e7714586730ebe70fcd447b9c2.jpg

I'm thinking the front's are 1156 bulbs that are single and the rears are 1157 dual element. That would be the problem I'm thinking so you would need the 1157 for the rear. .

I'm thinking the front's are 1156 bulbs that are single and the rears are 1157 dual element. That would be the problem I'm thinking so you would need the 1157 for the rear. .
Thanks very much for replying, Tom. Do the front turn signals take 1156 in the US as well? I don't get why Harley supplied 1157 sockets for the front in that case. I was wondering if the dual contacts were standard in the US so that you can have the turn signals also work as driving lights.

Yes the front should be the 1156 bulb as its only run and blinker. The rear is run, blinker, brake which is brighter. I'm not sure why the kit would have the 2 element housing for the front unless it was a mistake but I could be wrong. May have to go out and look at mine to make sure.

Yes the front should be the 1156 bulb as its only run and blinker. The rear is run, blinker, brake which is brighter. I'm not sure why the kit would have the 2 element housing for the front unless it was a mistake.

Thanks again, Tom. Yes, I’m beginning to think it’s a mistake in manufacture. I’ll contact the dealer tomorrow and see what they say...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The US bikes have 1157s standard so I bet that's why. Someone either messed up or they only supply this kit with an 1157 base.

I know this sounds like a poor solution, but you can reuse your stock signal housings. My aux lamp kit on the last bike had a bad socket so I didn't have the running circuit illuminated on one side. I took my oem housing and put it on the aux lamp kit. If you do this, the hardest part is de-pinning those little Deutch connectors.

Another option is to buy 1157s. Since only one element is going to be energized, it'll function just like a 1156 in your situation. However if you've already invested in Led inserts that option won't be a good one either.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The US bikes have 1157s standard so I bet that's why. Someone either messed up or they only supply this kit with an 1157 base.

I know this sounds like a poor solution, but you can reuse your stock signal housings. My aux lamp kit on the last bike had a bad socket so I didn't have the running circuit illuminated on one side. I took my oem housing and put it on the aux lamp kit. If you do this, the hardest part is de-pinning those little Deutch connectors.

Another option is to buy 1157s. Since only one element is going to be energized, it'll function just like a 1156 in your situation. However if you've already invested in Led inserts that option won't be a good one either.

Thanks very much. That’s really good info.

Thanks very much. That’s really good info.

Well, the dealership said to buy 1157 bulbs and all should be good, just as you suggested. I’m in Vienna at the moment (not on the SG), so it’ll have to wait until I get back on the weekend.

Well, the dealership said to buy 1157 bulbs and all should be good, just as you suggested. I’m in Vienna at the moment (not on the SG), so it’ll have to wait until I get back on the weekend.

I finally got round to fitting these after two weeks’ suffering from a chest infection. I can report that 1157 (tail/stop) bulbs work, but the tail light filament stays on all the time with the headlight.

I now need to check if this is legal in the UK. If not, I’ve got no idea which wire to cut!

I finally got round to fitting these after two weeks’ suffering from a chest infection. I can report that 1157 (tail/stop) bulbs work, but the tail light filament stays on all the time with the headlight.

I now need to check if this is legal in the UK. If not, I’ve got no idea which wire to cut!

What was the stock setup like? I assume you have amber lenses? Sadly I only know us info which allows amber running lights in the front. Given that your bike had 1156s I'm guessing you don't have amber running lights but just amber as turn signals.

I don't know why anything would have changed during your install. All you did was add a contact and filament to your signal housing that isn't connected to anything.

For testing, you can get a volt meter and check power to each pin. Your wires from the fairing should include a switched wire for the aux lights, turn signal wire, and a ground wire.

Edit. I just looked at the pictures of your wire harnesses again. You have 4 wires from the bike which means it may be energizing that as a running light. If this is the case, the blue wire will need to be removed. You can use a dental tool to pull the blue wire off the signal side of the connector (look up how to do it... I stabbed a pick into my thumb trying to depin those things). This will eliminate the running amber element and will do so with no permanent damage or chance of a short.

Last edited:
What was the stock setup like? I assume you have amber lenses? Sadly I only know us info which allows amber running lights in the front. Given that your bike had 1156s I'm guessing you don't have amber running lights but just amber as turn signals.

I don't know why anything would have changed during your install. All you did was add a contact and filament to your signal housing that isn't connected to anything.

For testing, you can get a volt meter and check power to each pin. Your wires from the fairing should include a switched wire for the aux lights, turn signal wire, and a ground wire.

Edit. I just looked at the pictures of your wire harnesses again. You have 4 wires from the bike which means it may be energizing that as a running light. If this is the case, the blue wire will need to be removed. You can use a dental tool to pull the blue wire off the signal side of the connector (look up how to do it... I stabbed a pick into my thumb trying to depin those things). This will eliminate the running amber element and will do so with no permanent damage or chance of a short.

Thank you. That’s really useful info. I looked into the UK regs and it turns out it’s legal to have amber running lights at the front! Great news. So I can leave things as they are... but I’ve ordered a pair of led inserts like those from Custom Dynamics - white outer ring and amber centre for the turn signal. They’re coming from China so will take a while to arrive :D

Well, while I wait for the Chinese turn signals to arrive, I decided to fit the Harley fork mounted wind deflectors - part number 57400146a. But they won’t fit. The bullet turn signals hit them and there’s just no way to get them on... unless you know better?

If there’s a trick to fitting these with the auxiliary lighting kit, I’d love to know. My thought is to cut away part of the wind deflectors.

I read somewhere there was another part number for deflectors that will fit with the aux. lighting, used by Ultra riders, maybe!

I am not aware of another model for ultras. Unless it's brand new. There used to be a brand called street-glide that fit but they're gone now.

You can make the for fang fit though. You just have to bend them out a bit. I don't have all the details as I haven't done it myself but 8ve seen other threads talking about it. I would avoid any cutting or drilling as you're likely going to chip the chrome and leave a rough edge that will rust.

I am not aware of another model for ultras. Unless it's brand new. There used to be a brand called street-glide that fit but they're gone now.

You can make the for fang fit though. You just have to bend them out a bit. I don't have all the details as I haven't done it myself but 8ve seen other threads talking about it. I would avoid any cutting or drilling as you're likely going to chip the chrome and leave a rough edge that will rust.

Thanks for that. I've read that too on another forum, but there were no details about how they bent them. I guess you'd have to bend them backwards to get clearance.

If I cut them, I'll treat the cut edge and maybe put a plastic trim over it too. If I cut close enough to the turn signals, it shouldn't notice.

Just when I need a YouTube video "How to" there isn't one :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mikes469