diy air ride

drtumolo

Aug 10, 2016
I have been thinking about doing another air ride for my current bike, 2016 flhxs. I had a diy air ride with Monroe shocks on my last ride, a 2007 road king. Today I started taking measurements on the streetglide. When I removed the factory shocks on my streetglide and raised it to 14" center to center on the shock mounting bolts (the same distance as the Monroe shocks fully extended). At this point the swingarm just touches the transmission. Has anyone else noticed this? It is a very light touch but so not sure if it would cause long term problems.

Here in NC a local guy is installing Hidden air ride systems for $450 turn key shocks and all parts included, I seen one in action last week. Its very impressive the bike was a 2016 street glide the fender will set on rear tire and raise back up to stock, He said Bike feels 100% better with the air bags. switch is mounter left side just in front of bag, unit mounts on right side Might check this setup out soon.

Has anyone ran into the swingarm hitting the transmission at full extension on the rushmore bikes with the Monroe shocks?

I have not had an issue with my set up. I normally run around 85 lbs. in the shocks. I never ride with them fully extended since it rides like a road wagon that way!

I've got a pump and shocks with some fittings if you are wanting to not spend full price???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am only worried about the transmission contact at full extension during a hard rebound. I would never run anywhere near full extended

This is for an air ride like dirty air or jnr sells. they use monroe air shocks that collapsed length is 9.25 and extended is 14" . I had this on my 2007 road king and it rides great but I am a little concerned with the transmission contact on the newer bikes. Many people are using these shocks and nobody is commenting on any problems with this contact so maybe it isnt an issue?

I'm new to this and have read hundreds of pages of forums on air ride. I have a few questions if somebody can help.

Currently I have a 2006 street glide with a 21 inch front wheel and extended bags. I weigh 240 pounds and the girlfriend weighs approximately 150 pounds.

I'm looking at going with either Dirty air or Skully air. Dirty air offers the fast up tank option as where Skully doesn't which is a feature I want.

Here's a list of my worries if somebody can please help me out.

1. Several people have stated that at full extension the dirty air and skully are both hitting either the axle nut or the mufflers. Are there any fixes for this? One person said they put lowering blocks on it to keep this from happening and haven't had any problems with it. IMO that would eliminate the safety stop feature of bottoming out in a emergency situation if you were to loose all air pressure.

2. A lot of people are saying that you have to ride at a very high air pressure which makes the ride quality very stiff and uncomfortable if riding two up with a lot of weight, is this true? I live in Indianapolis and we do a lot of street riding and touring around our state (the state with the worst and most pot hole filled roads in America) with he occasional yearly trip to the dragon.

Honestly I just want a better ride quality over the blown stock shocks and am looking at these two companies because I can not afford the shotgun system even though I would own it in a heartbeat if I could.

Thank you in advance for the replies and guidance everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith