DIY Cam Install Questions

THEWHITEGUY18

Oct 29, 2015
Hello All and thank you in advance,

I am in the acquisition and research phase of my first DIY cam install and was hoping to get some wisdom from people who have already braved this path. I have never done anything like this, but most of the videos I have seen showing the process don't scare me much. The scariest part for me so far is the budget.

Some questions that have come up in my mind without being able to find an answer are listed below.
  • I understand that before I cut the pushrods with bolt cutters, I should put the piston in TDC. It appears you can do this by removing the sparkplugs and using a straw. My question is, If I put the rear piston at TDC, do I cut the rear push rods or the front pushrods?
  • Should I change the oil shortly after the job has been completed?
  • When I get in and check the pinion runout on the crankshaft, what are the chances it will be out of tolerance? This question nearly has me paralyzed from moving forward with the project. If it is out of tolerance, do I just button her up and move on?
  • I see mixed opinions on pumping up the lifters with oil ahead of time. It seems like if you do pump them up, you just have to wait for them to bleed down later. The recommendation I have seen that makes the most sense to me is to cover them in assembly lube then run the starter of the bike a few times without plugs in it.
  • What gaskets outside of their kit will I need to get? So far the only extra gaskets I have picked up are the crush gaskets for the exhaust.
I am getting my parts from fuel moto. I have already picked up an S&S Cam Plate with an oil pump and Hydraulic tensioners. I plan on wicking up the TW 555 with pushrods and Lifters when they become available. They will be going into a 2015 Street Glide Special with about 22,000 miles on it.

I really am grateful for any insight one can give. I can't seem to find the search function on this forum since the change.

Hello All and thank you in advance,

I am in the acquisition and research phase of my first DIY cam install and was hoping to get some wisdom from people who have already braved this path. I have never done anything like this, but most of the videos I have seen showing the process don't scare me much. The scariest part for me so far is the budget.

Some questions that have come up in my mind without being able to find an answer are listed below.
  • I understand that before I cut the pushrods with bolt cutters, I should put the piston in TDC. It appears you can do this by removing the sparkplugs and using a straw. My question is, If I put the rear piston at TDC, do I cut the rear push rods or the front pushrods?
  • Should I change the oil shortly after the job has been completed?
  • When I get in and check the pinion runout on the crankshaft, what are the chances it will be out of tolerance? This question nearly has me paralyzed from moving forward with the project. If it is out of tolerance, do I just button her up and move on?
  • I see mixed opinions on pumping up the lifters with oil ahead of time. It seems like if you do pump them up, you just have to wait for them to bleed down later. The recommendation I have seen that makes the most sense to me is to cover them in assembly lube then run the starter of the bike a few times without plugs in it.
  • What gaskets outside of their kit will I need to get? So far the only extra gaskets I have picked up are the crush gaskets for the exhaust.
I am getting my parts from fuel moto. I have already picked up an S&S Cam Plate with an oil pump and Hydraulic tensioners. I plan on wicking up the TW 555 with pushrods and Lifters when they become available. They will be going into a 2015 Street Glide Special with about 22,000 miles on it.

I really am grateful for any insight one can give. I can't seem to find the search function on this forum since the change.

Fuel Moto is a great company. Jamie has been a long time sponsor of this website. See if he'll give you a streetglide.com discount. We'll see
If anyone can pitch in here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

First things first, obtain a factory service manual if you haven't already.

Don't forget to pickup new inner cam bearings too. In you don't have a bearing removal and installer tool, you'll need to purchase/borrow one for a twin cam.

I don't know what gaskets and o-rings are supplied in Fuel Moto's cam kit or with your previous cam plate and oil pump. But if they aren't sullied you'll need the o-rings for the oil pump and cam chest gasket. If you're planning on removing the tappet (lifters) covers, that is another set of gaskets.

Easiest way to know which cylinder is at TDC is to have the cam chest cover off and align the timing marks on the cam and crank gears. This puts the rear cylinder at TDC and the lifters on the base circle of the cam. Then cut the rear pushrods. Rotate the engine one (1) revolution of the crank. The timing marks should be, crank in the original position and the cam at the top. Cut the front pushrods.

Most lifters come with some type of oil in them. When it comes time to adjust your pushrods, align the timing marks up again. This will be the rear cylinder that you'll be working on. Install your pushrods according to the manufacturer's instructions. Once they have bled down, remember the new lifters have some oil in them, you'll be able to spin the pushrod with your fingers. After you're able to spin them freely, rotate the engine crank one revolution to have the timing marks at the top of each gear. Then work on the front pushrods.

Before you finish buttoning things up, cam chest cover, rotate the engine over several times to make sure that you don't have any interference from anything. None? Close up the cam chest and top off the engine oil. Give it 500 or so miles then change the oil. That will give it enough time to break in the new parts.

If your crank runout isn't within spec you'll have to decide on the path that you want to choose. Some just say F it, and just go with it while others will have the engine cases sent out for crank repairs. Then some will reassemble everything and sell the bike as is.

Have you thought about exhaust and air cleaner yet. Your modified engine will need to breathe better and neglecting these 2 items will not do you any good.

You'll also need something to tune your bike to run with your modifications properly. I'm not going to suggest a tuner because everybody has an opinion on what works best for them.

Tools, torque wrenches, inch/lbs and foot/lbs. Sockets, ratchets, and a dial indicator to check crank runout.

Sounds like the scariest part for you is everything but the budget. Just relax and don't overthink it. It really isn't that hard of a job to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: THEWHITEGUY18
I am curious if you have started your cam swap yet? If you have, how did it go for you?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Triggerman1067