dragon's tail

jchambers

Feb 1, 2015
going to spend memorial weekend in maggie valley, planning my dragon tail run, do i go in from the north and head south or the other way around? planning to come in on 28 and then pick up 129 on the south or north end. the real question is where do i stop and get the shirt?
Joel

There are 2 shirt/souvenir shops at the entrance and food service as well. My guess is you'll want to do the dragon in both directions. Weekdays are less congested and weekends there are a lot of crotch rockets, It's a nice ride but I've done better, marketing of Deals Gap and 129 have made it a must do ride. Personally I would like it more if it wasn't so crowded.

You will probably ride it in both directions so it really probably will not matter. I rode it 2 times both ways on my last trip! Try and get on it early in the day if you can. Memorial Day weekend will be "BUSY"! You might want to wait until you can go during the week, it's a lot better with fewer vehicles. You can't miss the store. Enjoy!

You will want to do it both ways..... TRUST ME! I can't thank MOJO enough for the 4 days I spent out there in 2015.

Depending on how you ride, leave yourself a GOOD GAP ( 2-3 minutes wasn't enuf for me ) between the riders in front of you... it will also depend on who is ahead of you as well as you try and let them get ahead a bit before you leave from the start.

You will see tents on the side of the road... these are photographers that work the Tail for a living.... I think there are at least 3 different companies that do this ( names escape me at this time )

The reason I mention the cameras.. they are set up at strategic locations on the Tail... GREAT corners and photo ops! IF you can remember the companies name from the tent, and approx time you hit said corner, you can go to their website and purchase a picture of yourself sweeping the corner. You can't get a better pic you you tried to plan it out....

ME!!!

dragon001.jpg

Mojo up front, me in the back...

5047119-129Slayer.jpg

Enjoy it!!!! and most of all.... BE SAFE!!!!!

I'm learning the art of Counter steer on these big heavy bikes, Learning fast tooo, After almost ditching my new 2014 glide twice now. I can run my low rider shovel like a sport bike center of gravity is between my legs and low, the glide is top heavy weight. The dragon's tail is on several of our local riders bucket list to do soon. let us know how it works out.

did it, run it both ways, there are some real power riders out there. had to move over twice for the trill junkies and i ain't no slouch rider. went very early. right choice too. right after we made our run and get back to the base camp area (around 8am sat morning) the people starter to flow in.. gotta do it again in the summer for sure.1549352.jpg

Also check out 421 I believe it is, called the Snake, just as nice of a ride and much less traffic. And if you're in Maggie Valley a must do stop is the Wheel Through Time museum, incredible bikes there!

As good as the the Dragon is, go ride the Gauntlet in Georgia/North Carolina.

Over 125 miles of heaven. Take the time to go to Helen Georgia. I promise you won't be disappointed.

Ken

Also check out 421 I believe it is, called the Snake, just as nice of a ride and much less traffic. And if you're in Maggie Valley a must do stop is the Wheel Through Time museum, incredible bikes there!

yea i did the wheels through time,, another one that needs a tidbit(plan on it being a day trip as it takes all day to see everything). we also rode to the highest point on the BRP,, then rode to the clingman's dome, all a great weekend. never dull to go to maggie valley area.

As good as the the Dragon is, go ride the Gauntlet in Georgia/North Carolina.

Over 125 miles of heaven. Take the time to go to Helen Georgia. I promise you won't be disappointed.

Ken

You're absolutely right. And there are a few more equal to or more exciting to ride. Problem is-they don't have the marketing the Dragon does. And besides, there are a couple more great rides on either end of the Dragon; Cherohola Pkwy and Foothills Pkwy.
http://tailofthedragon.com/maps/

Put 2350 miles on the 17 SG. Started in Texas Thursday, got back home about 4 hours ago. Rode the Dragon (had to make three passes for good measure), Moonshiner 28, Cherohala, and a few side roads here and there. That's some beautiful country. It's worth the trip, I'll definitely be back.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mikes469