Factory Windshield Removal

glideright

Jun 5, 2015
Ok, I did a search first, and I must be the only person who has had this problem. I have a 2015 SGS and I just bought a 7" Wind Splitter Windshield to replace the factory windshield. I imagined that all I would have to do is remove the three screws, pull the factory windshield out, slip the knew one in, tighten the screws and be on my way. Even the 1st instruction for removal states "Loosen but do not remove three screws securing the windshield to the fairing. Raise and remove the windshield." That is BS!! I loosened the screws and the windshield is hooked on to something, in the fairing at all three screw points, EVEN WHEN I REMOVE THE SCREWS COMPLETELY! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!! Advice please...

If you look at your windshield, you will see that the notches are much larger than the screws. The windshield locates on 3 pads on the inner fairing shell for location. Go ahead and pull the screws out, and tilt the windshield forward and then pull up, it will come out. Reverse to install the new one, you will feel it locate in place.

Slingshot....Dude....Excellent instructions! My windshield looms great. Thank you, brother!!😎

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

One thing I am noticing, which is bugging me a little....there is now a slight "bow" or "raise" on the front portion of the fairing in the area between the outer screw and the one long center screw on both sides. If that doesn't make sense I can send a pic. The windshield sets perfectly on the little nipples that the screws screw into, but it's not completely flush in the area where the windshield meets the front of the fairing. Does that make sense??

One thing I am noticing, which is bugging me a little....there is now a slight "bow" or "raise" on the front portion of the fairing in the area between the outer screw and the one long center screw on both sides. If that doesn't make sense I can send a pic. The windshield sets perfectly on the little nipples that the screws screw into, but it's not completely flush in the area where the windshield meets the front of the fairing. Does that make sense??

I have the same issue. I will be eager to hear any answers.

Gonna have to look at the service manual and see of there were any spacers or washers or something's that were there, before pulling the windshield up, that could have fallen in the front portion of the fairing. Who knows. There is no reason why it should be buckled like that, however slight...

Yes the gap is from the thicker windshield with a little different bend.

If it were "thicker", I would think there would definitely NOT be a buckle or bow between the 2 outer screws and the middle one (on both sides), BECAUSE of the thickness. If the new windshield were "thinner", I could see what you're saying. More material would push that outer piece of the fairing OUT, not cause the center screw to go IN farther, causing the appearance of bowing on both sides of the center screw. Of course, my personal opinion. Any thoughts anyone??

So all of you here who have changed your windshields have this issue??

Yea I have those gaps too, I noticed it after installing my Clearview shield. I know this will sound like a poor solution but I was just going to get a trim piece to cover the area and hide the gaps.

Another solution may be to enlarge the outer holes slightly so that the fairing can 'stretch' outward over the windshield instead of buckling. I don't know if this would work though as I never paid attention to how much horizontal play there was in the outer fairings screw holes.

Sent from my Droid Turbo 2 using Tapatalk.

And this is a straight up HARLEY replacement windshield!! How F'ing unsatisfactory and F'd up is that!!

If I'm just supposed to accept that buckled and bowed bull****, then I am so ****ing pissed with Harley's **** right now. What a load of crap!!!😠

I only notice it if I look... I had figured it was my fault anyway. Just a reason to add more chrome!

Sent from my Droid Turbo 2 using Tapatalk.

If I'm just supposed to accept that buckled and bowed bull****, then I am so ****ing pissed with Harley's **** right now. What a load of crap!!!��

You might have a warped fairing, maybe have your dealer check it out.
It's easy enough for them to replace a fairing.

I have the same issue after installing an LRS 8" Ultra Elite. However, I can't say for sure it wasn't there with the original. I did look at some new Street Glides at the dealer and some of those have the gaps as well.

Gaps is one thing. The buckled, bowed appearance was not there with the factory windshield. The fairing is not warped. This is a new motorcycle and it didn't look like that with the factory windshield.
I will reinstall today and make sure to start with the middle screw.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mikes469