Found a new use for rear fender reflector area

16FLHXS

Feb 28, 2016
Found a new use for the area where the reflector is at on the rear fender. (of course this wont work if you dont have the stock piece)

I bought a GoPro this weekend, and since i didnt wanna randomly stick one of the mounts on the bike, i purchased the GoPro Handlebar/seatpost/pole mount just so i had a temporary way to mount the camera till i purchased a better quality mount.
Well of course, on the crash bar the camera gets a bit of vibration and the mount wasnt big enough to fit the bar properly, so i re-purposed the half of the mount the camera attaches to.

So I removed the reflector and the foam tape, then I covered the fender, and used a piece of metal to stop the drill bit if it grabbed going thru the bracket, I drilled two holes to mount the camera half of the mount to the bracket.
It was a bit late to get some footage tonight, so i will get a video tomorrow and see how badly it vibrates (that jello effect).
I didnt realize this till i mounted it, but in conjunction with the Iron Aces Rushmore mount, this could make a great rearview camera for making sure the cage behind you is going to stop.

Edit: I have some small squares of commercial roofing rubber, that if it vibrates to much i may try some of that between the bracket and mount.

04/13/16 EDIT:
Ok guys, sorry its a short clip, i thought i was recording when i wasnt, just gotta get used to the camera and the app.

I wanted put up just the raw video for you guys, but i also wanted to make a vid for my channel, as well as show youtubers how and where its mounted on the bike with a picture thrown in.
BTW the video is not touched up at all, i just added to the clip.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peIOuOAzEfQ

Last edited:
Wow now that's a good idea especially if your riding with a group. Get the cages on video just to see their reactions also will be funny I'm sure.

Nice....I was thinking of doing something like that...only I want a "back-up" camera that displays on the Boom screen. Anyone ever tried that? Is it possible?

Thanks for the compliments guys, but i didnt get a chance to test it today, My friends uncle had a cracked drive wheel on a quadra-trak that we had to go help him get off so we could weld it back up, and with about 20lbs of dirt blocking the track adjuster from retracting we had to do a massive amount of work just to get the track off.
It has been a long day, I just got home about an hour ago.

Hope to test it out tomorrow.

Found a new use for the area where the reflector is at on the rear fender. (of course this wont work if you dont have the stock piece)

I bought a GoPro this weekend, and since i didnt wanna randomly stick one of the mounts on the bike, i purchased the GoPro Handlebar/seatpost/pole mount just so i had a temporary way to mount the camera till i purchased a better quality mount.
Well of course, on the crash bar the camera gets a bit of vibration and the mount wasnt big enough to fit the bar properly, so i re-purposed the half of the mount the camera attaches to.

So I removed the reflector and the foam tape, then I covered the fender, and used a piece of metal to stop the drill bit if it grabbed going thru the bracket, I drilled two holes to mount the camera half of the mount to the bracket.
It was a bit late to get some footage tonight, so i will get a video tomorrow and see how badly it vibrates (that jello effect).
I didnt realize this till i mounted it, but in conjunction with the Iron Aces Rushmore mount, this could make a great rearview camera for making sure the cage behind you is going to stop.

Edit: I have some small squares of commercial roofing rubber, that if it vibrates to much i may try some of that between the bracket and mount.

Sounds like a good idea to me! Good luck with it. Could you post a picture or two of your work?

Sounds like a good idea to me! Good luck with it. Could you post a picture or two of your work?

Yeah, i didnt take any pictures during the process, but once the measuring and drilling is done its just two bolts, so i should be able to take a photo or two.

Put a few miles on today, and did some in town riding.

In town, and slower speeds where the bikes tends to vibrate more, it is damn near sickening to watch lol
It seems @ hwy speeds its alot better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Taz107