Good Canadian scenic Drives

Here in Alberta, one of the best scenic runs is the Kananaskis Trail, aka Highway 40. The mountain views are breathtaking, the roads are sweeping, the wildlife is plentiful, and it takes you through the Highwood Pass, the highest paved pass in Canada (2206m/7238ft).

The road is closed every year until mid-June so as not to disturb the critical wildlife migrations that take place there. You are pretty much guaranteed to see bighorn sheep every time you ride it, and you may even see a bear or two along the way. Due to the high elevation, it is not uncommon to see snow even in July. I've ridden through the pass when it was 25C when I left home in Calgary, and 2C through the pass.

Here is a pic of my bike on this drive, and a pic of the map to show you where it is.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Map-Hwy-40.jpg
    Map-Hwy-40.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 0
Oh, and I forgot to mention: I'm EXTREMELY jealous! The Cabot Trail is on my bucket list of places to ride!

The Cabot Trail is amazing but there is lots of great riding in Nova Scotia, just follow the lighthouse route and you will love it. Can't wait to get back.

The best one is the one that leaves Canada and crosses into Merica', lol, just kidding.

Hehehe...funny....but seriously, if you ever get to Washington state, one of the most scenic rides is on State Hwy 20 from Okanogan, thru Twisp...when you get to Rockport, turn left on Hwy 530 and pay homage to those that lost their lives in the Oso 2014 landslide....

We just rode the Cabot Trail....it was great...the only problem was all the roadwork. They do a great job though,,,,,,the finished roads are actually worth the wait times. Will be back again next summer.

Dan

We just rode the Cabot Trail....it was great...the only problem was all the roadwork. They do a great job though,,,,,,the finished roads are actually worth the wait times. Will be back again next summer.

Dan

Good to know they have construction going on this year, should be great next summer.

Road work

Road work

Dan

Yup...the roadwork should be done this year, at least in the park boundaries. The roads outside the park are still a bit sketchy in places. Still a great ride for sure.

Dan

I road the Highlands last year , Started out on the South end of the Kawarthas ( Lindsay ) up to Pembroke , sweet.

A few years ago some friends and I booked rooms in Nelson, BC for a week and rode around there. Fantastic rides. Stop at the BC Tourist Info Office, they have ride maps that show common routes, distance and time on them.

Hopefully heading up to Cape Breton to ride the Cabot Trail. Last time I rode it was back in 75, went clockwise. This time I was told to ride it counter. Pushed this trip back to this year as we heard the road had lots of construction. Weather looks good, can't wait.

Hopefully heading up to Cape Breton to ride the Cabot Trail. Last time I rode it was back in 75, went clockwise. This time I was told to ride it counter. Pushed this trip back to this year as we heard the road had lots of construction. Weather looks good, can't wait.

Cabot Trail is nice. If you get a chance report back after your trip and tell us if construction is done.

Yes! A group of us toured thru Alberta and B.C and Washington. Hwy 20 which is called the Cascade highway was awesome!

Cabot Trail is nice. If you get a chance report back after your trip and tell us if construction is done.

Sorry for not getting back in a timely fashion. Yes we did get to do the Cabot Trail later in Sept of 18. Had great weather. Rode it counter clockwise. Did run into some construction but very little of it. The roads were in a lot better shape then when I did it way back in 75.

This year we did the Gaspe' once again. 1st time was in 16. Another great ride..

If you haven't done either one I would highly recommend it. I prefer the fall riding as long as you hit the weather just right..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
properMisfit