Grinding/shudder when applying rear brake

JustDennis

Jul 16, 2013
About three weeks ago as I was leaving work, I noticed something about my bike that I hadn't noticed before. As I was leaving the parking lot, I came up to the connecting road which was slightly uphill. I was going slow (10-15 mph) so I just used the rear brake to stop and hold the bike on the hill. As I was stopping with the rear brake only, it felt like the rear brake was grinding or shuddering as it came to a stop. It bugged me so for the next several days I would stop using the rear brake in different scenarios to try and determine the cause. Stopping from under 20 mph caused the grinding/shuddering feeling and the harder I applied the brakes the worse it felt.

I did some searches on here and began to think that maybe it was a rear wheel bearing or the brakes? So, last week I took the bike to the local dealer and explained the issue to them. This dealer has had very good service in the past. I left the bike and went to work (couple miles away). After work, I went to pick up the bike and was told that they didn't "hear" anything but went ahead and checked the brakes - everything was good. They said that the battery drain line was rubbing the tire so they rerouted it. I told them that I hadn't "heard" anything either. They assured me they had checked the brakes and put the bike on a lift to check the wheel bearing but everything was OK. I rode the bike home. The next day I rode to work and tested the brakes again. Same problem and it seemed to be getting worse.

On Monday of this week, I got an email from the service department telling me if I had any problems to call or email the service manager. As I said, this service department has worked with me over the years so I contacted the service manager and explained the issue and said that something was lost in the translation between the writer and myself. They were checking for a sound but I felt the grinding/shimming. He asked if I would bring the bike back and he would check it himself.

I took it in yesterday and got a call about 3 PM. Anyone have a guess what they found?Huh? My bike has V&H Power Duals. The right floorboard was less than a piece of paper thickness away from the exhaust. When I applied the rear brake, it would touch the bike and cause the shudder I was feeling. Harder I braked the more it did it. Only noticeable at slower speeds. They put spacers on the floorboard and I picked it up last night.

Good news is that the issue is gone and the bike actually is much smoother. I hadn't even noticed but I was feeling vibrations most of the time. I have to say that the service department manger went out of his way to make sure I was satisfied. He even called me last night around 5 PM to be sure everything was OK. The other good news is that they didn't charge me anything for either service. I did not buy this bike at this dealer but I did buy my previous one. Do have the ESP and always buy parts or have service done there if it is something I can't do.

Just thought I would post in case anyone else experiences something similar and to say how pleased I am with the dealers service. Even though they missed what I said the first time, they made it right and didn't charge me anything even though I would have expected to pay something.

That's something! Never even heard of that before! Was because on the pipes?

I'll probably make this a sticky just so other people see it.

Thanks

That's something! Never even heard of that before! Was because on the pipes?
I'll probably make this a sticky just so other people see it.
Thanks

I did a little searching around and found where some others have had issue with the V&H pipes and the bend of the exhausts contacting the floorboards. I think V&H may have even started shipping spacers (1 thin and 1 thick) to help with the issue. Wanted to post in case others ran into the same thing.

I had that same problem. I never made the connection until reading this. I haven't noticed it since I had my pipes off during my top end build! Some of the tolerances can be pretty fine with these exhaust systems, I'll take a look for rub marks tonight. Thanks for the heads up!

I just installed the Rinehart Slimline Duals on my '16 SGS and they came with spacers for the driver floorboard. Must have been an issue in the past.

Just installed my V&H 2-1 Pro pipes. They came with the spacer for the right floor board.

I'm guessing larger diameter pipe / or X area lowers the front pipe puts them closer to the floor board mounts.

I installed VH power duals earlier this summer and they came with the spacer for the right floor board. Plenty of clearance with the spacer installed.

I installed VH power duals earlier this summer and they came with the spacer for the right floor board. Plenty of clearance with the spacer installed.

After installing the spacer mine had plenty of room. The pipe was installed when I bought the bike without the spacer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for this post. I took my bike for the 30000 service, a few days after i noticed the noise at low speed when i braked. I guess the shop did something and forgot to put the spacer back in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eduzueta