Harley and the Davidsons

RuknRole

Aug 23, 2016
Anybody watching Harley and the Davidsons on Discovery? Pretty interesting. I knew there was a reason why I never liked Indian Motorcycles! lol

Watched the first episode last night and plan on watching the 2nd episode this evening. It does seem a little "rushed" in some areas but that's to be expected when you're trying to jam 110+ years of history into a 3-night mini-series. Overall, I think it's extremely interesting and give it "two thumbs up"! I do wonder how Indian feels about how they are being represented? lol

Lindsey :0)

I have a hard cover book called "HD A Way of Life" that came out a few years ago. It provides a lot of the same information that the first two shows have covered, BUT it does not depict Indian as a villain like this series does. I'm very curious if the competition was a contentious as this series makes it out to be. I love the racing scenes and the authenticity of the early MC's. Indian must really hate this show! I've really enjoyed this series.

I've enjoyed this look back to the early days of the HD Motor Co. It does make you proud to love the machines that so many others did first. By all appearances, they had to fight their way to prominence over many years and it continues today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not typically the person to sit and watch tv much, let alone a series. I thought it has been great so far, I bet they could probably do another series on how HD enter the military. I never really had an appeal to Indian, I had an appreciation but never really like them, after seeing this I think they suck.lol

Watched the first two episodes, had to record the third. Makes me very proud to own an HD. Back in the day it was cool to see how HD started the beer tents, riding clubs, and separated themselves as 'rebels'. Yes, Indian does look very slimeballish in this mini-series however, it gives a glimpse into how HD had to stay on their 'A' game to keep ahead of the pack. Perhaps this mini series should be required study for all of the national dealers- so they don't become complacent. We owners and riders are the folks who keep this company number one and they (HD) should damn sure make that their focus. Sure, they can happily sell us our $25k machines, but they need to step up their game in the customer service department, else get stomped by a bowling pin or watercraft manufacturer. Nothing last forever...

Finished watching last night, I want more! Wonder if the way Ford was betrayed is accurate too, Ford and Indian does not look good in this series.

Finished the 3rd last night. Enjoyed it, but want more also. It was nice to see the early days. And a nice touch with the military flag from the troop. Yeah, wondering how Indian feels too.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

If it's 100% accurate that was scumbagish of Ford to try to bankrupt them with the prototype.

Serial Number One

7-3.jpg

I have to admit that I had very little knowledge of motordrome racing until I watched this series. These board tracks were brutally dangerous, even a minor fall could be fatal due to the splinters from the track. I also did a little research on Albert "Shrimp" Burns and after he left HD for Indian he only lasted 2 years and died on the track shortly after his 23rd birthday. Anyway, I came across this youtube video with actual footage and enjoyed it so much I thought I'd share. Warning it's 11 minutes.

Good vid ! Had no idea there was a large cycle cult back in the early 1900's.
Ask Bones.. He was there.. HA jk !

Cool footage and pictures. Thanks for posting!

I used to race track bicycles at the velodrome in my younger days!
We used to hit 40 to 45 mph on the sprints coming off the bank. It was fun but crashes were never pretty.

The motorcycle tracks shown in this footage are big and wide but I can't imagine racing on a wood track at those speeds.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed the series as well. Made a trip to the HD museum last week so it all tied in nicely. Wish it wasn't over.

I think it's kinda ironic Ford now has Harley name on their trucks. Hope Harley charged them out the as_!

I just watched all three episodes. You can stream them off the Discovery Channel online.
Good advertising for H-D.

Gotta go dyno tune my bike into an awesome Outlaw Machine.....Cool!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Triggerman1067