harley whim , have you installed?

Lovetouch1

Dec 16, 2015
Can you do a review? on install,cost, user ability , satisfaction of the unit. may even compared to free wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked into this to use with my BT Sena Calvary helemet. Besides the fact its not compatible with it (??!??) you also have to buy an additional cost extra cable from Harley. This is such a kluged system and not worth the money for me! :mad:

Can you do a review? on install,cost, user ability , satisfaction of the unit. may even compared to free wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know this thread is a few months old, but I recently installed the WHIM on my 2018 SGS.

1. Cost for WHIM, Boom Audio 20S Evo headset and flash = $650
2. Cost for additional Boom Audio SPH10 headset = $200

I installed the BA 20S Evo in my HD 3 in 1 helmet and it sounds great and is plenty loud! I have also tested the phone call and voice command functions to select songs and directions via navigation and everything works perfectly. BTW, the BA 20S Evo is stereo sound, not mono like the regular Sena 20S.

The BA SPH10 sound quality is not as good and the BA 20S Evo, but is still plenty loud and will do for use with a 1/2 helmet. One con that I did discover was the headset does not work with any 1/2 helmet. Most of the premium HD helmets have thicker straps and small v-openings over the ears. Trying to use the headset with this style of helmet will depress the button on the headset and it will not work because the straps cover the headset. I use a Daytona 1/2 helmet which has thinner straps and a wider v-opening over the ears. This style of helmet is what is needed in order to use the BA SPH10. One other con is, you must put the headset on first and then thread the boom mic through the left side v-opening in the straps and rotate the helmet from left to right over your head, as if closing a lid and then fasten the chin strap. The only other workaround that I could see here, is to remove the boom mic and then reinstall it after fastening the chin strap. I prefer the first method. When making phone calls, the person on the other end of the call said that the sound quality was great on both, but with the BA 20S Evo, my voice sounded somewhat like a robot. I have yet to test either headset out on the road, but based on my stationary testing, I'm certain that they will perform very well. I hope this helps.

$850 . . . . . unbelievable!:confused:

I didn't need the BA SPH10, but I thought it would be nice to have when wearing a 1/2 helmet, so I bit the bullet and bought it. Trust me when I say that I am also confused as to why HD prices have to be so insanely high.

I'd love to use this with a sena but I'm being held back by the price. Maybe I'll just buy a sena (20s or their new one? I don't know enough to choose.) then I can add the whim later if I still want to. I ride enough that sometimes I do actually want to answer a phone call. I guess I could always go wired but who wants that?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It is a hefty price tag azglocker, but It'll be nice to have for music, phone calls and directions via navigation.

Here are a few pics of two different 1/2 helmets that I have. Notice the headset will work with the leather helmet, but not with the matte black helmet due to its v-strap design. I thought it would be beneficial to others to see the difference and avoid making the mistake of buying the wrong style of helmet for use with the BA SPH10.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 0
that brings up another point, I use 2 helmets. I have a bell pit boss and a Hjc is-33 2 (3/4) which means unless I get the right unit, I'm buying 2 units! At the very least I'm buying one unit and 2 sets of in-helmet speakers. I'd love to get hands on with wired and wireless headsets to get a better idea of what I'm up against if I do go for a head mounted unit.

I really need to play around in person to really see what's what. Ideally, I'd get to sit on a whim (or even freewire) equipped bike with headsets For both half and 3/4 helmets so I could see how everything interacts. I'd rather learn then buy versus buy then learn. It also doesn't help that I don't currently have a Bluetooth helmet module so I don't know how they work. I use a cheap Bluetooth ear piece for work all the time but that's comparing apples to oranges. Or rather apples to rotten potatoes when it comes to my current ear piece.

You could go with the BA 20S Evo and buy a second boom mic and base kit, so that you can leave one attached to each helmet. Don't quote me on the price, but I believe the kit runs about $180 and for another $20 you can purchase the SPH10 headset. One other thing I will mention here is, if you were to go with a second boom mic base kit, you would need to make sure your helmet already has speaker pouches built in, or you will need to buy some and hope to get the right set that is compatible with your helmet. It's somewhat of a PITA getting the right setup, that's why I decided to post my review to help others avoid any costly mistakes. I bought the matte black helmet that's in the pics above after the dealer said it would work with the BA SPH10, only to find out that it would not. This was not a big deal for me, because wanted the matte black helmet anyway. I already had a Daytona 1/2 helmet and decided to try it and it works perfectly, although you will have to don the helmet a bit differently as mentioned earlier.

I'd love to use this with a sena but I'm being held back by the price. Maybe I'll just buy a sena (20s or their new one? I don't know enough to choose.) then I can add the whim later if I still want to. I ride enough that sometimes I do actually want to answer a phone call. I guess I could always go wired but who wants that?

That's what I did . . . Sena Calvary! I don't need phone service when riding my Harley!!!!

WirelessBoomAudioC.jpgWirelessCommsC.jpgHere's 2 flowcharts I did a while back to help guide people through the decision process with wireless comm. The first is for those who want to control their Boom! system, and the second is for those who just want to talk to other riders. Hope these help.

Very nice! Thank you for sharing, flow charts will help those still on the fence.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Triggerman1067