Helmet buffeting

KOinCO

Oct 12, 2017
I'm 5'3" female rider with a new 2017 Street Glide. I'm having really bad issues with buffeting at highway speeds, to the point that my vision is distorted. Any advice for a shorter rider? I demoed the shortest wind splitter screen and it was actually worse. My husband measured for me and I could go up to an 8" screen.

When I got my 16, (1st Harley), buffeting was so bad I would get a headache within 30 minutes and could not see clearly. Vision was really distorted. Ended up with a 11" LRS and no buffeting at all. Love to ride it now. I have a 10" for hot weather when I am staying close to home.
You should be able to find the right shield with little trouble. I am 6" so can't really give a recommendation. Good Luck.

I would get severe buffeting especially while wearing a full face helmet on my 2014 Street Glide. There is no perfect solution but I got the most help from a correctly sized re-curve windshield, I got mine from LRS, measurement instructions on their website. I think most important is Harley fork wind deflectors (fangs) since a lot of unstable air comes up from under the fairing. Keep the fairing vent opened too.
Wind buffeting is a common problem, do a Google search, "Street Glide Buffeting" for more ideas but I've tried all the ideas and the two I mentioned work best.

Good luck,
Mike

I was using 7" LRS and buffer was still there enough to give me such headache after few hours of riding.....so now I switched to Klock Werks 6.5", I have not taken long trips with it on but so far as advertised I can hear my music better......LOL!

I don't like the looks of taller windscreen on Street Glide which I used to have but if Klock Werks doesn't do the job for me then I will have to go back to taller windscreen. I am making a trip next month so I will know for sure. But Klock Werks is highly recommended by a lot of the riders all over.

Thanks all for the advice. I'm going to order the lower triple tree wind deflector and I'll demo the 7" Harley Wind Splitter too. From reading your responses and some other posts, I'll probably have to try one of the "other than Harley" alternatives for the wind screen. I hope I can come up with the right combination to work for me. It would be sad to have a touring bike and unable "tour" on the highway for very long.

I'm 5'3" female rider with a new 2017 Street Glide. I'm having really bad issues with buffeting at highway speeds, to the point that my vision is distorted. Any advice for a shorter rider? I demoed the shortest wind splitter screen and it was actually worse. My husband measured for me and I could go up to an 8" screen.

Check out my Anti Buffeting kit for the Street Glide:

https://streetglide.com/showthread.php?8038-Streetglide-anti-buffeting-kit&highlight=anti+buffeting

Yep I’m 5’11” and I look like a bobble head while in the intrastate, vision is scetchy..my wife really gets hammered riding on back. More than she does on the back of the low rider. The fairing must be moving some major air.

Those fork fangs worked wonders.... too well for me! I was burning up and had to take them off to get some air flow. Felt like an oven with those installed and riding around in west Texas dry heat!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Those fork fangs worked wonders.... too well for me! I was burning up and had to take them off to get some air flow. Felt like an oven with those installed and riding around in west Texas dry heat!

That is the big issue with all this wind blocking stuff, I opted not to use the triple tree deflector and use short fangs to let more air pass to the engine.
http://www.street-glide.com/index.html

I haven't had heat issues with all these add-ons plus hard lowers on my M8.

Yes it did turn up the heat. I'm having the"Mid Frame Air Deflectors " installed at the 5K and hopefully that helps deflect the heat.

Helmet buffeting

Lower triple tree deflector and the 7” Long Ride windscreen has done the trick for me. However, I wasn’t having that much of an issue. I’m 5’11” with 32” inseam. I also plan to install fairing deflectors at some point, but no hurry there.

Also just picked up and installed Sage Brush chaps for the cooler weather.

Last edited:
Try a very simple trick, close your legs! A lot of the air comes up from your knee's. squeeze your knees in a bit on the tank and see if that helps. I'm 6-3 but I played with that and it helped a lot on my 14. my 17 with lowers not many issues.

KO - as you've heard, a lot of the buffeting is coming from beneath the fairing. I added the Lower Wind deflectors (Fork Fangs) for around $80, a between the fork deflector from Kuryakn ($30), and a 6" recurve shield from Long Ride Shields ( you can get it on sale for something like $80)

Those simple add ons for minimal cost have transformed the cockpit. No buffeting at any speed and more importantly clear vision and no more headaches. I love my bike now!

Your helmet maybe creating some buffeting as well, the first half helmet I had, had a visor over the brow line, I had a lot buffeting and vibration causing blurryness and headaches at highway speed. After a month or so, one of the retaining screws fell out of visor (from vibration) . I removed the visor all together, vibration and buffeting was gone after that.

Well, based on everyone's recommendations: A week ago Saturday I ordered the triple tree deflector and fairing deflectors. When I was ordering those, a guy told me that he rides a '14 SG and that he got a windscreen from Freedom Shields. He said he rides with a full face helmet and doesn't have anything else on the bike to mitigate head buffeting. He said the Freedom Shield totally eliminated the issue. Also, it just so happens that Freedom Shields is located in Colorado (Pine, CO...which is in the mountains.) I live in Colorado, so I emailed the owner, John, and he was kind enough to bring a few demo shields (different heights and widths) down and he and his wife met up with us. He put a demo on and my husband and I hopped on I-70 to the next exit to try it out. Made a huge difference. I tried two: 6" regular width and light grey; and 7" extra wide and medium grey. He makes them in light, medium, and dark grey in addition to clear. For winter riding, I've ordered a 6" (his stands up a little straighter), extra wide, in light grey. My husband also ordered a new shield for his Road Glide.

Super nice couple!!! Very customer service oriented. He called me today to tell me the price and that they are running a 15% off "black Friday" deal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qman77