Helmet buffeting

Well, based on everyone's recommendations: A week ago Saturday I ordered the triple tree deflector and fairing deflectors. When I was ordering those, a guy told me that he rides a '14 SG and that he got a windscreen from Freedom Shields. He said he rides with a full face helmet and doesn't have anything else on the bike to mitigate head buffeting. He said the Freedom Shield totally eliminated the issue. Also, it just so happens that Freedom Shields is located in Colorado (Pine, CO...which is in the mountains.) I live in Colorado, so I emailed the owner, John, and he was kind enough to bring a few demo shields (different heights and widths) down and he and his wife met up with us. He put a demo on and my husband and I hopped on I-70 to the next exit to try it out. Made a huge difference. I tried two: 6" regular width and light grey; and 7" extra wide and medium grey. He makes them in light, medium, and dark grey in addition to clear. For winter riding, I've ordered a 6" (his stands up a little straighter), extra wide, in light grey. My husband also ordered a new shield for his Road Glide.

Super nice couple!!! Very customer service oriented. He called me today to tell me the price and that they are running a 15% off "black Friday" deal.
Good info, Sounds like a Stand up couple and Business. Keep us posted on how you like it and the buffering it reduces, good info

John at Freedom was very helpful on the phone and even posted pic of my w/s on his website, I have 2 Freedom w/s , 8" dark for those bright sunny Texas summer days and a 7" medium tint that works well for night riding , I love them both. Here is a pic of the 7" medium from out Three Twisted Sisters ride in the Texas HillCountry !

_20171004_120835.jpg

Last edited:
I've had last Friday and today off. We are having warm temps so I have been riding 100 miles a day to get the 1000 miles so I can get the oil changed to synthetic before it gets too cold/snowy to ride. John and Debbie drove down from Pine last Friday with the new shields. I cannot believe the difference in head buffeting with just the shield. We did over 100 miles yesterday on the highway. There is just no comparison and I don't think I need anything else. Also the shield is high quality. Thicker, polished edges, and the recurve is at the top without any distortion if I look through it. Theirs may be more expensive but they work and are well made. At least I won't be starting a windshield collection from trying different ones.

John and Debbie from Freedom Shields got the windshields for my SG and my husband's RG done and met up with us again last Friday. John changed the windshields for us. We've had good weather here and I was off of work last Friday and yesterday (Monday), so we rode 400 miles in those 4 days, much of it on highways. I cannot believe the difference!!!! I'm not really sure I need to add anything else to the bike since the windshield took care of the buffeting issue. I got the 6", light grey, extra wide shield. High quality (thicker than stock), polished edges, no distortion with the recurve. My husband is very happy with his as well. Well worth the price and I'm starting a collection of windshields that I won't use by going with another company.

Mojo: I thought about getting the fairing wind deflectors. Two reasons for waiting: 1) I wanted to add one thing at a time to see if/how much each thing helped with the wind buffeting. I changed the the windshield first and found it alleviated a lot of the issue. Next, I added the triple tree wind deflector. I honestly can't tell much difference with the triple tree. 2) My second reason is purely cosmetic. I went with a light grey shield, which barely looks tinted. All of the fairing wind deflectors (the wings) are either black or dark smoke. With a white bike, I just don't think the dark "wings" and light grey windscreen will look very good. Although, if they made a huge difference, I would put them on because I'll choose function over ascetics every time.

Mojo: I thought about getting the fairing wind deflectors. Two reasons for waiting: 1) I wanted to add one thing at a time to see if/how much each thing helped with the wind buffeting. I changed the the windshield first and found it alleviated a lot of the issue. Next, I added the triple tree wind deflector. I honestly can't tell much difference with the triple tree. 2) My second reason is purely cosmetic. I went with a light grey shield, which barely looks tinted. All of the fairing wind deflectors (the wings) are either black or dark smoke. With a white bike, I just don't think the dark "wings" and light grey windscreen will look very good. Although, if they made a huge difference, I would put them on because I'll choose function over ascetics every time.

Check out AdvanBlack for deflectors, they make color match and clear ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too have the light gray windshield and dark grey fairing deflectors. Truthfully, no one ever notices the difference. :confused:

Thanks Mojo! OldMike: thanks for the pic. That helped. BirdsOnFire: thanks for another source, I like the idea of the clear ones.

So, you all believe they make enough of a difference to be worth it? (Sigh, will I ever be done spending $$$ on this bike?)

Last edited:
Well, I guess I skipped over the fact that AdvanBlack had color matched ones. I just ordered a pair in the crushed ice pearl.

Last edited:
Thanks Mojo! OldMike: thanks for the pic. That helped. BirdsOnFire: thanks for another source, I like the idea of the clear ones.

So, you all believe they make enough of a difference to be worth it? (Sigh, will I ever be done spending $$$ on this bike?)

These make a world of difference. And on hot days when you want some air, you can direct the air on you which works well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qman77