Help my SGS is dead

BIN

Jul 10, 2018
Take it easy on me, I’m new to H-D and I am learning. I installed mid engine heat deflectors and now my bike will not start, no lights, no sound, no clicks no whirrrs! On the left side of the bike in front of the saddlebag behind the panel, where the fuel pack is plugged in is a triangular piece held in place by 2 screws at the top. I removed the screws and pulled the part forward as much as possible to get my hand behind it, to secure a nut to a bolt to hold the bottom of the deflector in place. I couldn’t move the part very far as there are a lot of wires connected to the back. When I replaced it, what can only be described as a long wide cartridge held in place by a clip came loose. I unbolted the part, reseated it and slid the cartridge back in place. Buttoned everything up. Tried to start the back and nothing. Absolute silence. Any idea what might be happening here? Would hate to trailer to the dealer for a simple fix. The pic attached is the part I unbolted and put back. Thanks in advance.
eb4a294e0aa294ca613c8ab2f716c324.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not 100% sure, but did you check the big main fuse to make sure it didnt get pulled out? Or better yet check all fuses?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Pull the main fuse to check it then make sure your key fob is close. I just did the same thing and from the sitting position on the side of the bike installing the deflector the bike wouldnt light up. When I stood over the bike with the key FOB it started right up.

I'm not 100% sure, but did you check the big main fuse to make sure it didnt get pulled out? Or better yet check all fuses?

I just checked the 50A fuse and it’s good, I’m about to check the others now.

Pull the main fuse to check it then make sure your key fob is close. I just did the same thing and from the sitting position on the side of the bike installing the deflector the bike wouldnt light up. When I stood over the bike with the key FOB it started right up.

Pulled the 50A fuse and it’s good checking others now. I’m curious what the cartridge at the very top is? That got displaced during my original install.

Take it easy on me, I’m new to H-D and I am learning. I installed mid engine heat deflectors and now my bike will not start, no lights, no sound, no clicks no whirrrs! On the left side of the bike in front of the saddlebag behind the panel, where the fuel pack is plugged in is a triangular piece held in place by 2 screws at the top. I removed the screws and pulled the part forward as much as possible to get my hand behind it, to secure a nut to a bolt to hold the bottom of the deflector in place. I couldn’t move the part very far as there are a lot of wires connected to the back. When I replaced it, what can only be described as a long wide cartridge held in place by a clip came loose. I unbolted the part, reseated it and slid the cartridge back in place. Buttoned everything up. Tried to start the back and nothing. Absolute silence. Any idea what might be happening here? Would hate to trailer to the dealer for a simple fix. The pic attached is the part I unbolted and put back. Thanks in advance.

Update checked all fuses. All are good main fuse is good. Bike still dead.

I guess try that and report back. I dont see the battery just dying like that unless it sat for a real long time or you left something on to drain the battery. Hook it to the tender and triple check your battery and connector connections. Hard to be a big help with the bike not in front of me. Do you have a multi meter to check voltage on the battery?

I guess try that and report back. I dont see the battery just dying like that unless it sat for a real long time or you left something on to drain the battery. Hook it to the tender and triple check your battery and connector connections. Hard to be a big help with the bike not in front of me. Do you have a multi meter to check voltage on the battery?

I had it serviced (5k) on 8/9 and haven’t started it since. I did not have it on the tender either. I still think 2 weeks shouldn’t totally kill the battery. Dealer says the bike is constantly looking for the key fob signal and that may be the drain. I’m not sure I’m buying that explanation either. It’s currently on the tender charging and my fingers and toes are crossed. I don’t have a multi meter so I can’t check the voltage. I know I’m batting a 1000 here. I do appreciate your help and everyone that has offered suggestions.

Well report back when you get it going. Any info posted is good info

I don't have the patience to wait for a battery to charge I would jump it if you have a jump Pak. Hook up to the starter and ground to a bolt somewhere close. Little insurance policy jump Pak I bought a few years ago for about 60 bucks and it's about the size of a large phone stays in the saddle bag. I have never had to jump my bike but I have sure jumped a lot of others. My battery is going on 6 years old now and I keep it on the battery tender all the time now. Did you ride it home from the dealer or did they deliver it. If it isn't put into travel mode while hauling it will eat your battery pretty fast. They say if you start the bike it takes a 20 minute ride to recharge what you used to start.

Keep us posted on what you find out.

I don't have the patience to wait for a battery to charge I would jump it if you have a jump Pak. Hook up to the starter and ground to a bolt somewhere close. Little insurance policy jump Pak I bought a few years ago for about 60 bucks and it's about the size of a large phone stays in the saddle bag. I have never had to jump my bike but I have sure jumped a lot of others. My battery is going on 6 years old now and I keep it on the battery tender all the time now. Did you ride it home from the dealer or did they deliver it. If it isn't put into travel mode while hauling it will eat your battery pretty fast. They say if you start the bike it takes a 20 minute ride to recharge what you used to start.

Keep us posted on what you find out.

I thought about trying to jump is also. The wait is killing me. Since the dealer said tender, I went that route. I rode the bike back from the service, about 35 mile ride no issues. I had a CBR that I had to keep on a tender but all my other bikes held up. This is kind of surprising.

On a side note. The Mid Frame Air Deflectors were a bigger pain in the ass to install then switching out the Bars !!!

Yeah, I bought those 3 months ago and there still on the shelf

Help my SGS is dead

***UPDATE***
So the battery tender that I hooked up last night did nothing. No change. I did some reading, you tubing and manual studying. Battery tender flashed amber from last night which meant the battery was too far discharged to be put on the tender. Automatic circuitry prevents charging if below a certain amount of blah blah blah.
Got some cables connected the bike to my wife’s truck and it lit up like a Christmas tree! All info intact.(good news)
After 30 minutes and 5 tries no turnover of the engine. Makes an attempt then nothing try again and it starts clicking.(bad news)
So now it’s on the tender again charging correctly. Waiting for the 80+ percent green light and will try again. I’m thinking at any rate it’s time for a new battery, no?

Last edited:
I would just go buy a new battery. Cheap insurance you dont get stuck somewhere far from home. And maybe keep it in a tender when not in use

Connected back to the truck jumped it and it started up. Rode it for a couple of miles then put it back on the tender. Will try to start it again in the morning or jump it whatever it takes. Then off to the dealer it goes. New battery and explanation for the quick drain, is what I want. Hopefully I will get it back the same day.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
South Jersey Dave