Help!!!!!!!!!what if any fuel management ???????

HARLEY6721

Aug 22, 2013
Was wondering, I'm replacing stock exhaust mufflers and head pipe. leaving stock air cleaner. Do I or should I add a fuel management system. 13 STREET GLIDE

Was wondering, I'm replacing stock exhaust mufflers and head pipe. leaving stock air cleaner. Do I or should I add a fuel management system. 13 STREET GLIDE

Yes, you will still need to add a fuel management system since adding aftermarket headers will alter the air:fuel ratio and if this is not corrected, you run the risk of your bike not performing well and/or the exhaust system discoloring.

Hope this helps!!

You could certainly go with a download from your local dealership which is a good, economical option if you do not anticipate upgrading air cleaners at anytime down the road. The downside to going this route however, is that if you did upgrade the air cleaner (for example) you would have to have the download done again to account for the altered air:fuel ratio from the upgraded air cleaner. In this scenario, it may make better financial sense to go with a fuel management system that would allow you to simply download a new 'map' when you make other changes to the bike so that you are only spending money once.

Just a thought...the important thing is that the air:fuel ratio is correct regardless of how you go about doing it.

i had a cobra power pro auto tuner on my 2009 fat bob. changed the pipes and air intake no problems and ran like a top. no backfiring etc. plus the thing would go like a raped ape!:cool:

Harley6721: With your changes you will need fuel management and not just a download which basically changes timing only. Catless headpipes are a game changer. The Stage 1 download IS different, it changes timing, A/F ratio and redline limit. Of my 3 Harley's I went with Power Commander on the first, SERT on second and SEPST on this bike. I liked the fact it's not an add-on hardware piece. Once you marry it to the ECM, adjust it-you can put it away or carry it in a saddlebag. I did the Stage 1 download and am perfectly happy with it. Had I not been I would have Dyno'd it instead.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mikes469