How Much Oil Does Your Bike Use

Streetglide16

Jul 3, 2016
How much oil does your bike use in between oil changes? How many mile are you running on you oil change?

Despite always having an oil covered Intake and filter, I lose less than a pint per 5k miles. I have tried the 'quart low' thing as well as filling her to the brim with no noticeable change.

Note I don't check my oil very often nor do I track it. A pint may actually be a high estimate, I just know I've never checked her and gone "I need to add oil!"

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Have never added any to mine yet between changes and I'm at 43,000

22000 miles on my 2012 street glide uses no oil 4-5000 between changes. No oil in my air filter after changing filter configuration.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

2014 Glide w/ 20K has no apparent oil usage between changes which occur at 3k-4K intervals.
Any other Harley I have owned has had no visible signs of oil usage at the 50k mark.

Blues

I have a 2007 Softail Deuce with 18,000 miles on it and I have never added.
I have a 2009 Street Glide with 16,000 miles on it and I have never added.
I have a 2017 Street Glide with 1,500 miles and I changed at 1,000 miles and it was normal. I check this one before every ride because of all the sumping posts and it has not used any oil.

I change all the bikes at the 4-5,000 mile range with synthetic fluids.

I have a 2018 SGS. I had my first oil change done at the dealer and im pretty sure my oil was low but I didnt know where I started so I didnt care to much about that one..

Now, everyone who looks into this knows HD says 1 quart per 1500 miles is acceptable loss for the M8 engine.

After my 1k service I verified where everything was/is and continued to check it at least weekly (Hot, on the stand, and after a ride). I am right at 4k miles right now. All looks good, but I have lost Two Pairs of dots on the stick. So if you look at the dipstick and it says "hot on the jiffy stand" I had my bike filled purposely halfway up the dot matrix ( I believe there are 10 sets of dots).. Just in the last 500 miles or so I have started to see loss. I have now lost as of tonight two/maybe 3 dots.

Not sure what that equates to in Ounces, pints, quarts, etc. but im sure its not much at all to worry about.

Its just sad to me that these bikes seem to burn oil from the get go. This is my first HD and coming from the metric world where the bike motors last 3 times longer for half the cost, its tough to be comfortable with this. Also, my 103 makes suttle internal engine noises that make it seem a little loose with only 10K miles on it. Don't get me wrong, i do like this bike, but i am thinking i will be replacing it every 5 years or so with a new one to cut the chances of mechanical failures.

My '15 FLHXS has 81.000mi (131,000Km) on it and for the last 7,500mi (12,000Km) has been losing about 1/2 quart every 500-600mi. For the last 1,000mi or so it has actually been dripping a small amount on the ground (while it's hot after a ride). Plugs look good, nothing out of the air cleaner, the pipes aren't dirty nor is there any smoke. At this mileage I'm probably just going to rip it apart this Winter and upgrade it to a 107" or 110" (non H-D). I'm a little disappointed that it couldn't last longer than this, but I guess there's people that have had it happen with a lot less mileage.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paul90