Individual Light Switching

Mstokely

Mar 5, 2019
I have installed the Harley Daymaker LED Headlamp, Auxiliary lamps, and Fog lamps on my bike. The HD instructions and wiring kit have the Auxiliary lamps and the Fog lamps wired via a factory "Y" harness to the same Aux Lighting Switch mounted in the faring dash. I tried to separate the Auxiliary lamps and Fog lamps into different switches by adding the faring mount "Acc" switch unit and separating the Fog lamp wiring from the "Y" harness and routing it to the "Acc" switch gear mounted in the faring dash bank on the left side next to the Aux lighting switch. The issue I am having is when the Fog lamps are connected to the "Acc" switch and the Auxiliary lamps are connected to the Aux lighting switch and I try turning the "Acc" switch on the check engine light comes on and the Auxiliary and Fog lamps stop working. The dealer (Simi Valley Harley) says that it is an issue with the way Harley has intended the lighting system to work to conform to DOT regulations. They have reached out HD Tech support to see if there is a work around but have not received any information back. Ultimately I want to be able to control the Auxiliary lamps with one switch and the engine guard mounted Fog lamps with a different switch (not overriding the high beam disable since I understand that is illegal in CA) giving me the ability to have either or both on or off as needed for the driving conditions when the headlamp is on low beam.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
If you go to the right dealership they can flash the system so the highway lights stay on in high beam also. There are several threads here if you do a search.

I have installed the Harley Daymaker LED Headlamp, Auxiliary lamps, and Fog lamps on my bike. The HD instructions and wiring kit have the Auxiliary lamps and the Fog lamps wired via a factory "Y" harness to the same Aux Lighting Switch mounted in the faring dash. I tried to separate the Auxiliary lamps and Fog lamps into different switches by adding the faring mount "Acc" switch unit and separating the Fog lamp wiring from the "Y" harness and routing it to the "Acc" switch gear mounted in the faring dash bank on the left side next to the Aux lighting switch. The issue I am having is when the Fog lamps are connected to the "Acc" switch and the Auxiliary lamps are connected to the Aux lighting switch and I try turning the "Acc" switch on the check engine light comes on and the Auxiliary and Fog lamps stop working. The dealer (Simi Valley Harley) says that it is an issue with the way Harley has intended the lighting system to work to conform to DOT regulations. They have reached out HD Tech support to see if there is a work around but have not received any information back. Ultimately I want to be able to control the Auxiliary lamps with one switch and the engine guard mounted Fog lamps with a different switch (not overriding the high beam disable since I understand that is illegal in CA) giving me the ability to have either or both on or off as needed for the driving conditions when the headlamp is on low beam.

Any suggestions?
There is something weird there. I have my harley passing lamps and my Harley fog lamps working independently with two "spot" switches on the left side of the dash on my 2010 SG. The work flawlessly. I also, bought the Harley wire harness adapter that allows you to run your high beams with your passing lamps or fog lamps at the same time.
In my case both the HD passing lamps and the HD fog lamps stay on now with the high beams. All harley parts. .

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Jordan I think your bike is a 2010 if memory serves me right. The 2014 and newer need the flash to work not sure about other years.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Qman77