Installed the HD Garage Door Opener kit on my 14 SGS today...

Spazz

Administrator
Feb 22, 2014
I was lucky enough to have an HD brother that couldn't use it... so he gave it to me.

First thing is... 14's need a harness ( $24) P/N 69200722 that gives you the necessary wiring for the job... and then some. The harness provides switched power, constant power and a ground for up to 6 accessories, to include a Deutsch Connector for additional add-ons.

Wiring Colors:

Violet/Blue ( switched power )
Red/ Blue ( constant power ) [NOT USED FOR GDO.. leave the cap on the wire]
Black (ground )

Now turn your scoot ON and pull the 50 amp main fuse.... with the scooter on when you pull it, you disable the security system. TURN YOUR SWITCH OFF NOW ( so you don't forget before you re-install the 50 main fuse when your finished)

The accessory harness plugs into the 4A connector under the left side panel. It's a gray eight-way socket housing.... route the new harness up by the battery.

The transmitter for the GDO mounts up front on the amp tray.

Wiring Colors:

Orange/White (switched power source )
White (trigger for high beam )
Black ( Ground )

Now the hardest part was fishing the transmitter wire harness under the tank in the wiring tray. I didn't remove the tank, though I removed the back bolts to tip it up to allow access to the tray. I then fed a 36" piece of weed eater string through the tray from under the tank.... attached the harness to it... and pulled it through carefully.... worked like a charm!

Now for the hookup:

The transmitter Orange/White connects to the Violet/Blue of the acc. harness
The transmitter White connects to the Blue/White of the high beam circuit ( you need to splice it )
The transmitter Black connects to the black of the acc. harness ( for grounding )

After sifting through 20 pages total between two sets of instructions ( one for the harness and one for the GDO kit ) This simplified write-up should put your mind at ease...

Like I said... the hardest part was fishing the harness under tank and fishing the acc harness through the frame up to the battery area.

Ok- I'm almost done- I thought I was almost done.
I installed the daymaker while I installed the GDO. The daymaker works, but nothing is happening with the transmitter.
I feel like I'm missing a page out of the 20 page instruction sheet from Harley. I did a 2-1 splice with the blue-white headlight wire and white transmitter wire to blue-white wire on bike side. Why is there a huge length of white wire available? (it runs all the way to the accessory connector under the seat--- but doesn't connect to anything.
I'm missing something obvious- help me out.

What, not pictures to show the job through? at least we now know it's not that hard to do. thanks for the write up, maybe when i finally get openers for my garage doors and install them I'll then be able to put that kit on my 15SGS (maybe take pics too),,boy the to-do list never ends:mad:, thanks again!

Well, JCHAMBERS, I took pictures as I progressed, but I'm not going to post anything if I can't get it to work.

Ok- I doubled checked all connections and reset the GDO receiver- still no joy. Headlight works and looks nice (switching from chrome to black).

Is the white wire on your GDO harness? If so... that is the wire that wires to the high beam... trigger wire

Sent from my Note4 using Tapatalk

Yes, the white wire runs from the transmitter to the blue/white headlight harness.

did not mean to offend, i was actually commenting to the original post...with that said, I'm not sure what may have happen on your install but do you still have another remote that will work the opener? if so does it still work?, looking at the instructions online it appear you are using the high beam low beam switch to get the door open/close function..we know that all that is being done is that your sending a signal to the controller for the motor to operate. not knowing which unit you have is the button still on the remote that you must tie in? with the circuit looking straight forward i doubt you've blotched the install, most likely it's the programming.
Joel

Yes, the white wire runs from the transmitter to the blue/white headlight harness.

When you hit the temp high beam button, does the transmitter red led illuminate?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Another thing... The HD crimp connectors suck!!!! I had to crimp twice and three times for a good connection.... I did replace them

Another thing... The HD crimp connectors suck!!!! I had to crimp twice and three times for a good connection.... I did replace them

Agree- I think I crimped each side at least twice. If you replaced them, did you simply go with a similar connector?

Yes.... Barrel connectors with heat shrink over them

When you hit the temp high beam button, does the transmitter red led illuminate?

The light hasn't come on at all.
Other clickers, including the other Harley's, still work with the door; so, we know the problem isn't with the reciever.

did not mean to offend, i was actually commenting to the original post...with that said, I'm not sure what may have happen on your install but do you still have another remote that will work the opener? if so does it still work?, looking at the instructions online it appear you are using the high beam low beam switch to get the door open/close function..we know that all that is being done is that your sending a signal to the controller for the motor to operate. not knowing which unit you have is the button still on the remote that you must tie in? with the circuit looking straight forward i doubt you've blotched the install, most likely it's the programming.
Joel

No offense taken.

Ok... I am not home now...trying to remember.... White wire is gdo trigger to high beam circuit ....orange/white of gdo to violet/blue of acc harness...black gdo to black acc harness

Installed the HD Garage Door Opener kit on my 14 SGS today...

You sure you got the high beam wire correct? Checked with a meter? If I remember... There are two identical wires in that harness for the headlamp...one does nothing

Did you connect the white wire to the headlight harness, the headlight adapter piece, or to the harness section those pieces hook to (does that make sense?)?
1) bad transmitter
2) bad connection somewhere (voltmeter checks looked good)
3) residual charge between white-blue/white prevents the transmitter from noticing the momentary switch

Or- 4) something really stupid and absentminded

Hmmm. I think there are two blue wires that seem to serve zero purpose. The high beam works- and it didn't work before I spliced it.
I'll crack the fairing open again in the morning and take another look.

Ok... I am not home now...trying to remember.... White wire is gdo trigger to high beam circuit ....orange/white of gdo to violet/blue of acc harness...black gdo to black acc harness

Yep, your memory is good on all of that.

Ok... you need to check for voltage at white transmitter wire with the meter probe... force probe into splice and hit highbeam... you should get 12v ( or about)

Sent from my Note4 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Triggerman1067