Kansas City HD plant closing...

Very sad to hear.

15 SGS Amber Whiskey; ThunderMax tuner; Ceramic True Duel headers; 4.5 inch RC Exhaust slip ons ;LED turn signals/ run lights; passenger backrest; one inch passenger and rider floorboard extensions;stage one air cleaner. 4 point docking system; air wing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Odd thing is...walk into any HD dealership and they appear to be oblivious to the actual conditions they're facing. Hard selling, no budging, MSRP markups etc...

I realize they answer to MOCO But how about some urgency? The brand and boomer loyalty will only carry things so far... or it already has...

Motorcycle sales are down everywhere.
Unless you sell ATVs or UTVs it seems like most dealerships are in a slump...
Maybe HD should try sticking a 500 or 750 Street engine in a Side by Side and forget the street line entirely...
Or they could build one out of all those V-Rod motors they have no use for anymore!
I'd take one!

Odd thing is...walk into any HD dealership and they appear to be oblivious to the actual conditions they're facing. Hard selling, no budging, MSRP markups etc...

I realize they answer to MOCO But how about some urgency? The brand and boomer loyalty will only carry things so far... or it already has...

MKA,
I hear you and agree 100%. This must be what it looked like to some who watched when Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Some people just can’t handle the truth.
Several claim, and I believe, that studies show very few young people are interested in motorcycles. Most of the few who are interested are not attracted to Harleys. They live by their tech devices, which is their right of course. HD’s pathetic attempt to add technology via the Boom system is largely a failure to those who are tech savy (which includes all young people), especially with their proprietary approach to add-on devices. HD is repeating what the once iconic IBM did, forcing you to buy HD branded add-ons or they won’t work properly, and requiring “system flashes” that are expensive rather than allowing the user to make adjustments via the Boom box touch screen. Another absurdity.. a “Garmin map interface” that doesn’t allow you to load Garmin maps? You gotta be ****tin me HD! That is stupid, stupid, stupid. The “info” button produces a set of data that tells you practically nothing, and starting in 2017 they dumbed that down even more by removing the numerical oil pressure data. Meanwhile there is other information, such as head temp etc., that could have also been displayed because it’s available to the system and the 6” Boom display has plenty of room for all this data on the info page. It’s an $1800 POS, and only because HD wanted it that way by design. I’m a senior software engineer with over 30 years experience in the aerospace industry. I can tell you with certainty that it would have been rediculously easy and cost practically nothing extra to have done a better job. And yet the pointy haired buerocrats at HD headquarters, and some dealership nitwits, are actually surprised that tech savy young motorcycle riders have very little interest in owning a Harley...
Fiddle on, Nero.

Last edited:
MKA,
I hear you and agree 100%. This must be what it looked like to some who watched when Nero fiddled while Rome burned. Some people just can’t handle the truth.
Several claim, and I believe, that studies show very few young people are interested in motorcycles. Most of the few who are interested are not attracted to Harleys. They live by their tech devices, which is their right of course. HD’s pathetic attempt to add technology via the Boom system is largely a failure to those who are tech savy (which includes all young people), especially with their proprietary approach to add-on devices. HD is repeating what the once iconic IBM did, forcing you to buy HD branded add-ons or they won’t work properly, and requiring “system flashes” that are expensive rather than allowing the user to make adjustments via the Boom box touch screen. Another absurdity.. a “Garmin map interface” that doesn’t allow you to load Garmin maps? You gotta be ****tin me HD! That is stupid, stupid, stupid. The “info” button produces a set of data that tells you practically nothing, and starting in 2017 they dumbed that down even more by removing the numerical oil pressure data. Meanwhile there is other information, such as head temp etc., that could have also been displayed because it’s available to the system and the 6” Boom display has plenty of room for all this data on the info page. It’s an $1800 POS, and only because HD wanted it that way by design. I’m a senior software engineer with over 30 years experience in the aerospace industry. I can tell you with certainty that it would have been rediculously easy and cost practically nothing extra to have done a better job. And yet the pointy haired buerocrats at HD headquarters, and some dealership nitwits, are actually surprised that tech savy young motorcycle riders have very little interest in owning a Harley...
Fiddle on, Nero.

Excellent write up and on queue. This statement speaks volumes..."especially with their proprietary approach to add-on devices. HD is repeating what the once iconic IBM did, forcing you to buy HD branded add-ons or they won’t work properly, and requiring “system flashes” that are expensive rather than allowing the user to make adjustments via the Boom box touch screen."

Many companies have followed this business model to their detriment, or demise. Most recently Keurig. Which was recently bought by some large holding company. For years their coffee pods were propriety to their coffee makers. And quite expensive. Many other companies were making reasonable priced pods to fit, but Keurig stayed one step head in making sure other pods couldn't be used in their machines. All the while losing massive sales. Other pod style coffee makers started hitting the market and out selling Keurig. Now all aftermarket brands fit the Keurig machines. "Was it to late in the game? Or was it just in time to save them?" Where's HD on these two questions?

Given the average age of those who own a Harley which they say is 47, maybe the MOCO thought we were just to old to navigate anything more robust. Guess they should've had a better suggestion box.

MKA-CoHam, you are exactly right! Utilizing their "Proprietary / my way or the hiway" approach is alienating current customers and their "technology advancements" are an insult to everyone! It's my take that the people making these "marketing" decisions are totally out of touch with their customer base.Two very good examples of their marketing genius are:
ECM rquired tweaks and flashing for the most basic of mods/changes and the totally pathetic WHIM system and it's costs!!!
The market they are going after 25 to 35's are just married just had children and are not remotely interested in motorcycles especially when they cost more than a new car! As a "Baby Boomer", I'm most likely on my last Harley and I know so many others in the same mindset. It's too bad when a company tries to reshape the market with products and prices they don't want or need. Kodak, Sony, IBM are just a few that have either ignored their customer base or simply did not keep up with times and technology. Many Millennials aren't even buying automobiles these days. The either rent/buy close to work, bicycle or Uber!! You think a $22,000 Harley interests them?
Motor Company, if you're reading this, hire some people that know your customer base wants and needs and get your pricing & products inline with what they want!

BAAMM ! ! !

Hulk if you say what you did is true. Sweet All the young ones flocked over to the new Honda Gold Wings at the NYC Motorcycle Show I not sure But I think Honda is the first motorcycle to have Apple Play and that is one of the things that caught there eyes.

Dang Hulkss In trying to reply to your post I somehow deleted it!!! I AM sorry as I don't know how to restore it. That's what I get for trying to be sarcastic! So you've ordered a new bike, are you keeping the 2014??

Yes, the bike has Apple CarPlay. There is a pocket with a cable for an iphone. Plug in and you might as well name your bike Siri. At least Apple software has a strong potential to improve over time.

hondagoldwing2018carplaysupport-800x317.jpg

Dang Hulkss In trying to reply to your post I somehow deleted it!!! I AM sorry as I don't know how to restore it. That's what I get for trying to be sarcastic! So you've ordered a new bike, are you keeping the 2014??

Yes, I can't let the Harley go. At least not at this point.

I ordered one of these:

imagegallery-13421-5a6ae2ae3cfbe.jpg

Nice ride there hulkss! I've been seriously considering another bike and I am NOT leaning toward another Harley. For my money you can get a better bike with the kind of cash that Harley is asking for the same bunch of issues in another color! But that being said....I will not get rid of the SGS anytime soon!

Yes, I can't let the Harley go. At least not at this point.

I ordered one of these:

attachment.php

THAT'S nice! You'll need to tell us about it when it comes. Looks like you're planning some road trips this year!

Kansas City HD plant closing...

I was in Dallas this weekend and ask about a CVO. The price for a streetglide CVO out the door was 51,000. I really had to laugh in the guys face ! Then I looked their streetglides and the regular price was 28,000!
No wonder HD is shutting plants. No one can afford those bike prices!

THAT'S nice! You'll need to tell us about it when it comes. Looks like you're planning some road trips this year!

3-4 weeks through the Rocky Mountains this spring. I took the Street Glide to Alaska Last year. Rode for 30 days and I enjoyed the Street Glide every day.

3-4 weeks through the Rocky Mountains this spring. I took the Street Glide to Alaska Last year. Rode for 30 days and I enjoyed the Street Glide every day.

I’m with you there Hulkss. I’ve been riding them since the 70’s and can never give up my Harley, no matter how often the motor company pisses me off and disappoints. I just pull the bike apart and put it back together the way they should have done it. It’s stupid expensive, but there is nothing else like that v-twin thumping between my legs.
You’re gonna love the Wing. It’s smooth as glass and a friggin rocket for a tour bike. My buddy Bob has riden them for a decade. He just moved over to a 2017 Limited, I guess he just needed to try something different.
If your springtime travels bring you to Colorado then please give a shout. If schedule and location allow, we’d love to cruise a few of the miles with you and maybe get a bite to eat somewhere.
We’re supposed to head for Laughlin at the end of April if the Front Range roads are clear of the Spring snow.

We are headed for Laughlin this year also CoHam maybe see you there. I know of 3 members who are making the trip from northern Nevada maybe more just have to see.

I was in Dallas this weekend and ask about a CVO. The price for a streetglide CVO out the door was 51,000. I really had to laugh in the guys face ! Then I looked their streetglides and the regular price was 28,000!
No wonder HD is shutting plants. No one can afford those bike prices!

Exactly what I'm talking about. They have priced themselves for only those with tons of disposable cash.

The CVO price isn't much less than I paid for my first house.

I havent used Apple car play since i havent owned an apple product in years, but I do have android auto from a sony xav-ax100 in my Super Duty, and its just not very good. There are so many things they could fix but dont, but with that said its miles ahead of HD and their system.
Google maps is fantastic, (setting aside any concern over google tracking your location) for harley not to use it is a mistake, the simple fact you can find a destination on your phone, and plug into AA and have directions on screen is the simplicity the harley system needs. Hell my parents are in their 70's and Mom loves the Samsung S8 i handed down to her, even she can figure it out. People like LAB have made a living on making tutorials on how to better understand the complicated harley system.

Im sure the MoCo lawyers **** themselves having such a possibly huge distraction in the center of the fairing, but Im sorry if you wanna stay relevant to future Gens, you need to embrace tech.

Also let me mention aftermarket integration and Mods, My dealer has seen more flagged Vins now with the M8 they he has ever had before, I mentioned to him thats illegal to cancel warranties due to aftermarket parts (if they havent caused an issue), and his words "sadly whos going to stop them?" This came up because I have been missing my FLHXS ever since i went to an FLHTK, and was debating another new glide, and he said be careful with non harley mods on the M8 they are cracking down. Aftermarket support is what sells your bike for you, knowing they can customize to their hearts content is what helps drive sales.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfbsmith