Law Abiding Biker

09 Softail C

Jan 8, 2017
Not sure if all of you know about the Law Abiding Biker website. Ryan Urlacher a retired LEO produces some GREAT informative Harley videos. A recent one explaining how to hack the new Boom Box system to use Apple Car Play. If you don't watch this whole video start at the 7:00 minute mark and watch a funny (but true) video mocking Harley and how they try to screw us the customer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u2U2Hr1TCg

Peter

Reactions: BillyBob
The LAB guys have a lot of great videos. Also love their documentary movies of their rides. I’m a patron and think it’s well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there a way to upgrade a 14 SGS to the new boom box radio? I would LOVE to get car play on mine. I don’t need any of the harley navigation or interface. It’s terrible relative to what car play can do. I have also thought about adding a third party (sony, kenwood, alphine) headunit with car play. But I worry about the diagnostics I get though the boom box such as engine temp and oil pressure. I haven’t seen a good way around this.

Not sure if all of you know about the Law Abiding Biker website. Ryan Urlacher a retired LEO produces some GREAT informative Harley videos. A recent one explaining how to hack the new Boom Box system to use Apple Car Play. If you don't watch this whole video start at the 7:00 minute mark and watch a funny (but true) video mocking Harley and how they try to screw us the customer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u2U2Hr1TCg

Peter

I like the videos from this guy.

My Rant: The way Harley does Carplay is horrible. I have a new car with Carplay and it just works! No special WHIM or headset needed for it. The new Boombox GT with soft touch buttons should have at the very least come standard with Traffic info!

My Rant: The way Harley does Carplay is horrible. I have a new car with Carplay and it just works! No special WHIM or headset needed for it. The new Boombox GT with soft touch buttons should have at the very least come standard with Traffic info!

I absolutely agree Mojo! Poor implementation with the Boom Box, as usual :(

Is there a way to upgrade a 14 SGS to the new boom box radio? I would LOVE to get car play on mine. I don’t need any of the harley navigation or interface. It’s terrible relative to what car play can do. I have also thought about adding a third party (sony, kenwood, alphine) headunit with car play. But I worry about the diagnostics I get though the boom box such as engine temp and oil pressure. I haven’t seen a good way around this.

There is a way, you can PM Spazz here, or go to Soundz.com as they have come up with a module that you can use that lets the new radio work seamlessly. Funny enough it is right at Harley's magic number of 400 bucks and people are still getting top dollar for the used radio's right now so your in at about 2k.

I see others doing the Sony route for between 500-750 now.

I guess I'm happy with a thumb drive for when I'm in the woods, and streaming when I have signal.

Good luck -

YeaH $2K is a ittle too rich for my blood. Maybe if they'd fixed all the other issues with the Boom Box and GPS, I'd think about it.

The WHIM Hack has been closed by HD/Apple

The WHIM Hack has been closed by HD/Apple

I like the videos from this guy.

Folks just a heads up, HD/Apple have closed the loop on the hack in question here.

Boom GTS update: A friend of mine stopped by with his 2020 Road Glide and said he was having Car Play issues.
Sure enough- I couldn't get him hooked up and then I remembered the Boombox GTS Software change Harley made. It disallows connecting Car Play unless you purchase and install the WHIM module ($300 + Dlr tweak $$).
I got him going that day not only with Carplay but ALSO WIRELESS CARPLAY! See links below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsDetRyqJp4

https://www.amazon.com/Carlinkit-Wir...55711543&psc=1

Reactions: Maccid
Boom GTS update: A friend of mine stopped by with his 2020 Road Glide and said he was having Car Play issues.​
Sure enough- I couldn't get him hooked up and then I remembered the Boombox GTS Software change Harley made. It disallows connecting Car Play unless you purchase and install the WHIM module ($300 + Dlr tweak $$).​
I got him going that day not only with Carplay but ALSO WIRELESS CARPLAY! See links below:​
I did the same to my street glide. My buddy recommended everything to me. I think it took may 20 minutes or so to get everything done. 👍

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brandon1165