Looking for ideas on engine parts!

werty34

May 19, 2019
I have a 2011 HD SG 103. Have 46k miles and looking at maybe going in and replacing some parts but not necessarily machine work. Would like some input on if I replace cam am I obligated to do valves/tappets, pistons, pushrods, and exhaust?

Have a Vance and Hines aftermaket air filter and dual 4" ovals right now.

Not necessarily, but you’ll know better once you get in there, Depending on how far apart you want to rip in to it. You aren’t at high mileage yet, but there may be excess carbon buildup or wear caused by several factors. I would personally do tappets, just because you’re in there anyway and they do wear over time, but can certainly last longer. They’re easy to do too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank You for replying! do you personally have any cams other than the SE 255s that are a reliable cam that is just "bolt on". new to this forum stuff and trying to find it on here without being a pain to others that have posted this info already.

I put S&S 551 Easy Start Cams in my bike, a few years ago (just put in a new engine), and really liked them. With cams you can save a lot of time ripping into the top end by getting adjustable pushrods (you cut out the OEM ones with bolt cutters, and install the adjustable ones leaving the top end in place). Of course, you trade time for cost. When looking at a cam, decide what you want and how you ride. I’m not a speed demon and I do a lot of miles through a variety of terrain, and wanted more torque with the added benefit of the Easy Start trigger (see S&S’s website or YouTube channel), so I chose the 551, but it may not be what you want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paul90