Looking for opinions

09 Softail C

Jan 8, 2017
I just purchased a 2016 Harley Street Glide CVO. At 5'5" I need to lower it to be flat foot. Also stock shocks are awful. I had a 17' Street Glide and had the Thunder Max iRide system installed by Cycle Solutions at Leesburg a few years ago. The system was great until I started having some issues with delays in the bike both lowering and raising. Changed both filters which help but didn't totally eliminate the problem. I traded the bike before correcting the problem.

Now I'm torn between another iRide system or lowering the bike 1" with a system from Suspension Technology. The iRide system is $2,500 installed and the 1" drop $1,625.

Both will solve my issue, although the iRide system does go even lower when stopped. Appreciate all thoughts and comments from the members and guests here.

I got this Taildragger Air Suspension installed on my 2019 Street Glide Special. https://xoticcustoms.com/air-ride-for-harley/ Had it installed by them at the fall Myrtle Beach rally 9-21-21. I have had no issues with it. You could more than likely order all the parts from them and install it yourself or have an independent shop install it for you. It was $1,538 including tax and installation. I had Suspension Technologies install my front fork suspension at the Laconia Bike Rally the following year in 2022. Good luck and let us know what you decided to do. Oh I am 5' 4" and that's on a good day :)

First try getting a lower seat. I got this seat and it lowers by about 1".
I'm 5' 9. then you can get lower shocks if that doesn't work.

Good Luck!

Thanks, thats exactely the seat I have. I'm pretty sure I'm going with the iRide system from Thunder Max.

I just purchased a 2016 Harley Street Glide CVO. At 5'5" I need to lower it to be flat foot. Also stock shocks are awful. I had a 17' Street Glide and had the Thunder Max iRide system installed by Cycle Solutions at Leesburg a few years ago. The system was great until I started having some issues with delays in the bike both lowering and raising. Changed both filters which help but didn't totally eliminate the problem. I traded the bike before correcting the problem.

Now I'm torn between another iRide system or lowering the bike 1" with a system from Suspension Technology. The iRide system is $2,500 installed and the 1" drop $1,625.

Both will solve my issue, although the iRide system does go even lower when stopped. Appreciate all thoughts and comments from the members and guests here.
I’m 5’3”. With a Saddlemen S3 Renegade seat and my boots, I’m flat footed on even surfaces. I ride solo and with my current set up I’m good without any lowering system. I never heard of the iRide. Actually, other than air ride the only other thing I considered was some sort of brackets for a 1” drop. It seems cost effective until you lose shock compression. Good luck with your decision.

I’m 5’3”. With a Saddlemen S3 Renegade seat and my boots, I’m flat footed on even surfaces. I ride solo and with my current set up I’m good without any lowering system. I never heard of the iRide. Actually, other than air ride the only other thing I considered was some sort of brackets for a 1” drop. It seems cost effective until you lose shock compression. Good luck with your decision.
You should check out the iRide system from ThunderMax. It auto adjusts ride height depending on speed. One air shock and one coil over. I likes being 2" lower than stock at a stop and raising to a city height at the speed I pick and up to highway level. All own its own.

I got this Taildragger Air Suspension installed on my 2019 Street Glide Special. https://xoticcustoms.com/air-ride-for-harley/ Had it installed by them at the fall Myrtle Beach rally 9-21-21. I have had no issues with it. You could more than likely order all the parts from them and install it yourself or have an independent shop install it for you. It was $1,538 including tax and installation. I had Suspension Technologies install my front fork suspension at the Laconia Bike Rally the following year in 2022. Good luck and let us know what you decided to do. Oh I am 5' 4" and that's on a good day :)
Talking with Cycle Solutions and having them install a ThunderMax iRide system on the rear of my 2016 Street Glide. I have had one before and I am ok with that. Chris (the owner) strongly suggests upgrading the front end at the same time. He would install the spring kit (not sure who makes it) I am sure the kit is a top quality product. He doesn't deal with cheap stuff. Not sure they are worth the $1,500 installed price. Do these front end upgrades really make a big difference over stock?

Yes they do. However, not knowing the brand, I suspect $1,500 is a bit steep. I would go with Suspension Technologies. I got my front end fork cartridges done at Bike Week in Laconia last year for $825 installed. Love the ride

I'm 5'6' and flat-footed with my 2015 SG, I removed the stock seat cover and reshaped the foam. I narrowed, lowered, and push myself forward about an inch. Replace stock foam with higher-quality foam. Heated cover with a steam gun and restretched back on. Cost about $100 because of the foam upgrade. If you have a stable gun you can do this yourself

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
properMisfit