Main Seal Differenes

yegg

Sep 18, 2015
So I pulled the main seal (left side of crank case) this evening using the Jims 775 tool. That thing sure is slick. I was nervous as hell having never done that before but it could not have been simpler. More on that in another post.

I went to put my replacement seal in but have decided to wait. Below is what I pulled out.

01_Removed.jpg

Take a look at the inner surface. It is hard to see but it is smooth as I expected. Now check out the replacement I have. The inner diameter looks like a bearing packed with grease.

02_New.jpg

Is this correct? Has anyone else run across this? I figured I'd post the question before installing it.

Thanks and ride safe.

The main concern is the condition of the shaft the seal runs on. Do not reuse it if there is a groove worn in it where the seal runs. It also needs to be very smooth so the seal will not wear out.

The seal looks fine as long as it is the correct part.

Got it. I will check the surface of the shaft tonight. The part number is correct but I was confused as it just looks different. I don’t really know anything about different types of seals so I figured I’d ask.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't remember for sure, but it may be possible to reverse the seal shaft collar so the seal runs on a new fresh surface.

When you say seal shaft collar, is that the spacer the seal sits around? I’m using the term spacer as that is what my service manual calls it. I just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perfect. Thank you. On my diagram from https://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/ronnies/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=hdmc&a=1049&b=6&c=0&d=2015%20FLHXS%20STREET%20GLIDE%20SPECIAL%20(KRM)%20CRANKCASE%20ASSEMBLY%20W/%20OIL%20FILTER%20-%20COOLER it shows it as number 19 (24009-06 SPACER, SPROCKET SHAFT). I am riding to Richmond, VA tomorrow on the Duck as that is the closest place that has that spacer. The one on the bike seems fine to me but I am going with "better safe than sorry" and just replacing it. Thank you again.

Capture.JPG

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Triggerman1067