Milwaukee eight S&S 475C cam install

NGOT8R

Feb 15, 2015
I don't know why I tried to convince myself that I wouldn't do any performance mods to my M8. Everyone who knows me, told me that they were certain I would make modifications to the motor. They also said that it would be sooner rather than later. With that being said, I decided to give the S&S 475C cam a try to see how I like it. I am still waiting on the cam and new mufflers to arrive, but that did not stop me from preparing for the swap. So far, I have removed everything in the cam chest, minus the oil pump, so that I could remove the stock cam bearing in preparation for instslling a new cam bearing. I will keep this updated as the installation progresses.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 0
Cam bearing removal was very straight forward with the aid of the bearing removal and installation tool.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 0
I've done all that I can do for now. I'll resume work once the rest of the parts arrive. There are 771 miles on the bike as it sits.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 0
From your other project I knew you would not keep it stock for long...lmao. Do you still have the 2015 with the 107 in it?

From your other project I knew you would not keep it stock for long...lmao. Do you still have the 2015 with the 107 in it?

Haha! You're right Sg-Jay. I couldn't help myself. Yes, I still have the 2015 with the 107.

Nice thread!
I agree, the M8 seemed pretty good from the get go so I said the same thing.
Then I started seeing the numbers guys were getting from a "simple" cam change.
I just had the 465s installed and they make a huge difference!
I went with the S&S premium lifters.
I also replaced the stock plastic tappet guides with some billet ones from S&S.
For $44 I'd say they were worth doing too...

Last edited:
Nice thread!
I agree, the M8 seemed pretty good from the get go so I said the same thing.
Then I started seeing the numbers guys were getting from a "simple" cam change.
I just had the 465s installed and they make a huge difference!
I went with the S&S premium lifters.
I also replaced the stock plastic tappet guides with some billet ones from S&S.
For $44 I'd say they were worth doing too...

Oh yeah! That's what I'm talking about Fatbob. Aside from the 475C cam, I will also be using the S&S billet tapped cuffs, quickee pushrods and tubes, SE lifters and a Power Vision tuner. I am excited to see the what the difference in performance is. Hopefully it is a step in the right direction.

Did you by chance get before and after dyno runs on your bike, to see how much of a gain the cam and tuner netted you?

He didn't have a dyno to map it but he downloaded a program from power vision that
was basically the same set up I'm running.
But my rear-end dyno notices the difference!
With the 465s the HP doesn't peak as high as the 475s but the torque comes on faster and peaks in the mid-range (around 3,500rpms) where I'll get more use out of it in the hilly country I'm riding.
ss465_cam_kit_for_harley_milwaukee_eight2017_750x750.jpg

Last edited:
Still running the Arlen Ness.
The filter on that thing is huge.
I hear a lot more intake sound since the cam change.

The 909s are still fairly mild sounding at idle though deeper, but definitely rumble pretty good when you're on the throttle.
I'm glad I didn't get a set of mufflers that was already pretty loud, cause the cam change really opened them up...

Last edited:
Still running the Arlen Ness.
The filter on that thing is huge.
I hear a lot more intake sound since the cam change.

The 909s are still fairly mild sounding at idle though deeper, but definitely rumble pretty good when your on the throttle.
I'm glad I didn't get a set that of mufflers that was already pretty loud, cause the cam change really opened them up...

Do you have any sound clips of your bike with the cam and 909s? I would love to hear how it sounds? I made a little progress on mine last night. I installed the cam bearing. It's been a little tough to find time to finish things up lately with work and all. I hope to finish up everything in the cam chest this weekend.

On a different note, I dropped my stock heat shields off at Industrial Coatings here in KCKS yesterday to have them blasted and coated with Cerakote Glacier Black to match the S&S mufflers. the downside to that is, it will take 2 1/2 to 3 weeks to get them back. The color of the mufflers and stock heat shields were so far off that they would have stood out like a sore thumb.

The cam and S&S tappet cuffs have been installed. I got ahead of myself by working on two bikes at the same time today and forgot to snap pics of the cam being installed. Here you can see how much more durable the S&S tappet cuffs are over the stock anti rotation pieces.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 0
Great write up NGOT, pictures where great. Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Triggerman1067