More Power for my 2014 SG

t8ness

Aug 25, 2015
I’m looking to add a little more umph into my SG. Currently it has screaming eagle stage one, including spark plugs and wires. Was talking a guy at a party yesterday, he said if I added the 585 cam kit, it would wake my sleepy 103 up. For those of you who done this, was it worth it, and was the power noticeable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Changing the cam will wake things up, but more is needed to get the full effects. The engine will need to breath better, so updating the exhaust/intake is a must, if not already done should be addressed. You should also look at how you ride before getting a cam. Get a cam that puts the power range where you run most. There are lots of good cams out there, and research can almost be over whelming. Getting a cam that gives you the most power at 5,000 RPM may not be the best for your application if you are a cruiser. Are you looking at an SE 585 or S&S, as the SE cam tends to have the torque come on at a lower RPM than the S&S?

Changing the cam will wake things up, but more is needed to get the full effects. The engine will need to breath better, so updating the exhaust/intake is a must, if not already done should be addressed. You should also look at how you ride before getting a cam. Get a cam that puts the power range where you run most. There are lots of good cams out there, and research can almost be over whelming. Getting a cam that gives you the most power at 5,000 RPM may not be the best for your application if you are a cruiser. Are you looking at an SE 585 or S&S, as the SE cam tends to have the torque come on at a lower RPM than the S&S?

I already have screaming eagle street cannons along with a screaming eagle air cleaner…I'm looking at the SE 585, along with the necessary pushrods and new springs. I mostly cruise, would love the power on the freeway, especially with the Mrs on the back.

t8ness,
Take a look at this comparison done against a bunch of different cams. I installed the Fueling 525 in my SG and it pulls like a tractor. Everyone I talk to likes the 543 as a cruiser cam. No need for new springs, but would advise to get either the SE or Fueling Cam plate and oil pump. The cam plate/oil pump, helps with oil scavenging and maintain a higher oil pressure at idle. Also install Timken cam bearings.

https://university.fuelmotousa.com/article/h-d-twin-cam-103-camshaft-shootout/

t8ness,
Take a look at this comparison done against a bunch of different cams. I installed the Fueling 525 in my SG and it pulls like a tractor. Everyone I talk to likes the 543 as a cruiser cam. No need for new springs, but would advise to get either the SE or Fueling Cam plate and oil pump. The cam plate/oil pump, helps with oil scavenging and maintain a higher oil pressure at idle. Also install Timken cam bearings.

Ok. Thanks for the info

If you already have a high flow intake and changed the header to get ride of the cat. You will need a runner to trick the ecm like a FP3 so you can load changes to you settings. I would stay away from the high lift cams that require you to change the valve springs instead take a look at duration cams. The cam is dependent on you riding style and you will have to determine if most of your riding is two up or dingle rider. Is the majority of your riding highway touring or local. Take a look at the woods 222 cam, they are Mfg by andrews to woods specs. Just my two cents

If you already have a high flow intake and changed the header to get ride of the cat. You will need a runner to trick the ecm like a FP3 so you can load changes to you settings. I would stay away from the high lift cams that require you to change the valve springs instead take a look at duration cams. The cam is dependent on you riding style and you will have to determine if most of your riding is two up or dingle rider. Is the majority of your riding highway touring or local. Take a look at the woods 222 cam, they are Mfg by andrews to woods specs. Just my two cents

FP3 doesn't trick the ECM, it remaps the ECM, I do agree you will need to do something with the ECM

I stand corrected bad choice of words by saying tricks the ecm any tuner will allow you to alter the ecm stock map by allowing you to load after market high intake and exhaust and cam replacements. This will allow a longer fuel injector pulse so you are not running lean with alterations that have been made. Depending on aftermarket tuner you install. Different brands have different options.

t8ness,

I installed the Fueling 543 cam and love it. Most of my riding is on highways and I average 42MPG.

Reactions: BillyBob
I installed the Fueling 543 cam and love it. Most of my riding is on highways and I average 42MPG.
I’m new to this forum but have questions. What does it cost to have Harley retune the ecu or is it better to get something to do it yourself??? I have a set of Vance an Hines ground pounders an I would like to go back to the stock headers an put a pair of slip ons on for better sound.

Was the bike tuned for the change in exhaust before?

To properly tune any engine, for any changes, one should have it put on a dyno. That price depends on who is doing the tuning and location.

Reactions: BillyBob
I just ordered the Woods 777 cam for my 2015 Street Glide. Are any of you using this cam? My bike has 26K miles on it with a Rush header, Big Sucker intake, TAB 4.5 Bam sticks and a Thundermaxx tuner. I'm trying to get a little more torque and HP. All the guys I ride with have 2019 or newer bikes and they pull away from me when we jump on the interstate.

Last edited:
If you already have a high flow intake and changed the header to get ride of the cat. You will need a runner to trick the ecm like a FP3 so you can load changes to you settings. crypto poker freeroll I would stay away from the high lift cams that require you to change the valve springs instead take a look at duration cams. music data analytics company The cam is dependent on you riding style and you will have to determine if most of your riding is two up or dingle rider. Is the majority of your riding highway touring or local. Take a look at the woods 222 cam, they are Mfg by andrews to woods specs. Just my two cents
The intricate dance of motorcycle modifications, where every tweak is a step towards two-wheeled perfection!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrnyc01