Must ride roads in your area!

1Grumpyguy

Sep 8, 2014
What are some of the " Must Ride " roads in your area ? In NC, of course there is Rt 129 " The Dragon" and the Cherohala Skyway, but there are some other really good rides in that general area: The Moonshiner, The Hellbender and a less popular Rd... Rt 151, which was a great ride.Supposedly, just a few less turns then the Dragon... It was just about empty when we rode it. Weekends are horrible on the Dragon... Between the car clubs, cops and racing bikes. I would go during the week if you can. All of the above roads have one thing in common...Twisties... Lots of em :)

Here in TN we also have portions of the Dragon and Cherohala as well as the Natchez Trace and Devil's Triangle.

Needles Highway up by Mt. Rushmore in the Black Hills. If you make it to Sturgis it is a great ride. Also the wildlife loop through the Custer State Park, but avoid the bison :)

Ah, you guys make me jealous. Not too many sights to see here in Louisiana when riding. Just a lot of flat land and swamps. We have no roads listed on the top 100 from the post above either.

That's cuz they all got massive potholes in 'em. lol

There isn't anything really me in that list either, closest to me is Tampa and there's only 2 in FL. It's pretty flat here for the most part, too.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Well... Geiger Grade (Route 341 )from Reno to Virginia City is an AWESOME mountain road that can introduce your floorboards to the pavement a lot....

GiegerGrade.jpg

Donner Pass Rd in Truckee/Tahoe ( beautiful mountain/scenic route ) is a mountain pass in the northern Sierra Nevada, above Donner Lake about 9 miles (14 km) west of Truckee, California. It has a steep approach from the east and a gradual approach from the west.

75599886.jpg

HWY 49 out of Auburn, CA

HWY 20 toward Nevada City, CA

HWY 89 toward Truckee from the North side up near Chilcoot, CA

There are MANY mountain roads in the Reno/Tahoe area that are scenic...

I'm with Spazz there are so many close but most are a good days ride for me being in the middle of the state. I like several roads up in Idaho but there is just too many choices so depends on which direction I take off in.

In my area it's HWY 281 from Heflin Al to the top of mt cheaha state Park.

++1 Spazz and TomA are right. I've ridden those roads to Virginia City, Donnor Park, High Way 50 and Downieville. It doesn't get much better than that on a Harley!!!
DonnorSGS copy.JPG

I am with spazz on this one as well. While in the corps I road in many of places but I must say Northern California mountain ranges into Lake Tahoe and over Donner summit to Reno are some of the best. Along highway 1 up from LA to Monterrey is pretty darn good too.

Nice pic Mojo. I would love to be able to ride with views like that!!

Amber whisky was my rental from Chesters in Reno. The black one belongs to the "Spazz clan". We had a ball and covered some beautiful scenery.

I am with spazz on this one as well. While in the corps I road in many of places but I must say Northern California mountain ranges into Lake Tahoe and over Donner summit to Reno are some of the best. Along highway 1 up from LA to Monterrey is pretty darn good too.

HOLY CRAP!! I totally forgot about HWY1 ( Pacific Coast Highway- PCH) LOVE to ride north from Huntington Beach all the way to Monterrey.... last time I did that was in 1988 with 75 other bikes for Laguna Seca AMA Series Championship.

Can't forget Mullholland Drive either..... That road is infamous and DEADLY... been on it may times. The Rock Store is a must visit.. you never know who you will see there.

gallery1.jpg

Most popular section is The SNAKE.... quick 3 minute video...

Last edited:
I have been to the rock store a time or two. Some great riding.

2014 SGS charcoal pearl
Blacked out
Some motor work

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mikes469