My FP3 experience

Sayiwont38

Feb 14, 2018
Well I finally installed my screaming eagle air cleaner and FP3. I called Vance and Hines and told them the slip ons I have which are RC Exhaust 4in up slash. Along with stock headpipe. They sent me the map which the told me to use Eliminator 400 Slip Ons. I did the download and took it for a quick ride. Throttle response seemed to be better and I'm not sure if it was me or if its true but it seems to sound better. I had no decal pop, but in the email he told me to set it to aggressive throttle which I then did after first ride. But after I flashed it I had decal pop and I'm not real sure why or how to get rid of it. So any help would be appreciate it!

Well I finally installed my screaming eagle air cleaner and FP3. I called Vance and Hines and told them the slip ons I have which are RC Exhaust 4in up slash. Along with stock headpipe. They sent me the map which the told me to use Eliminator 400 Slip Ons. I did the download and took it for a quick ride. Throttle response seemed to be better and I'm not sure if it was me or if its true but it seems to sound better. I had no decal pop, but in the email he told me to set it to aggressive throttle which I then did after first ride. But after I flashed it I had decal pop and I'm not real sure why or how to get rid of it. So any help would be appreciate it!
I would set throttle back to standard plus and see if cures it. There is setting for decel pop it is the same place as throttle progressivity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know V&H has you set your throttle at aggressive to compensate for loss of low end torque with different exhausts and set ups. So you might want to do some testing with the settings and runs it for a couple hundred miles to let your tuner adjust.

I Figure I'm gonna do a couple autotune sessions when the weather breaks and se if it fixes it.

It looks this weekend is going to be 55-60 degrees. I'm going to get some tuning sessions done. I emailed V and H and they told me to run 1-2 tanks of fuel BEFORE I do auto tune sessions. I was under the impression I could do auto tune right after I download a canned map..... Thoughts?

Your ECM and the tuner needs a little time to adjust to what you have down loaded and changed. Just did some upgrades and after the 3rd tank it's running a little better.

As crazy as it sounds, the tuner needs a little break in and has a learning curve before it operate at it's optimal performance ability. After initial break in the most changes should be immediate.

Ok so I have ran 2 tanks of fuel through my bike since I put a tune on it. Upon inspection of my plugs they are still white on the electrode and the bottom 3 threads or so are black. I've read its tough with these new motors its had to gauge how rich or lean it is just by looking at the plugs ... Any thoughts?

Plug reading is a complete waste of time except to identify a condition that is far away from the desired.

After reading opinions and experiences of others looking for information on the Vance and Hines FP3 and my simple setup I forged my own path, nothing spectacular but its complete. I called V&H to find out which of their slip ons would most closely match my Cobra Neighbor Haters, a few minutes on hold (like calling any other big company) I was told to choose the V&H Eliminator 400s. I installed the FP3 which took all of 3 minutes. Once activated via Bluetooth the FP3 automatically updated itself with the most recent firmware. Following the simple instructions I was on the road in 15 minutes. It was like riding a new 2017 Street Glide Special all over again. Great throttle response and huge reduction in engine heat.

Plug reading is a complete waste of time except to identify a condition that is far away from the desired.

I agree with hulkss!
To read a plug correctly the ignition must be shut off at the rpm that you want to read. If you ride the bike hard on the highway then tool through your neighborhood and idle into your garage your plugs will reflect slow speed and idle more so than your highway time.
This from several old school hot rod builders and tuners and the occasional plug reading guide in Hot Rod Mag and others etc.
Plug reading in today's world of electronic ignitions is more apt to be used to determine the correct heat range or signs of oil consumption than air-fuel ratio management.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mikes469