My New Screamin' Eagle Street Performance Tuner

hulkss

Administrator
Sep 29, 2013
After installing my Fullsac Exhaust System (link: Fullsac-Exhaust-System) I had to decide how I wanted to tune my bike. After much consideration of options, I purchased a Screamin' Eagle Street Performance Tuner (p/n 41000008B) and cable (p/n 41000018). You can learn all about it here: Training

This is a much more capable system that rumored on the internet. The online training I linked above is great and easy to understand.

Here you can see the number of the tuning file I used and the air-fuel ratio table that controls the engine. The closed-loop region of the table is in bold font. This table can not be edited. That's what makes this the "street" tuner. You must run this approved table.

AFR.jpg

You can see it goes to 12.8 Air-Fuel Ratio (AFR) at high rpm and high Manifold Air Pressure (MAP). This is when you are opening the throttle for power and 12.8 AFR is perfect for maximum power in gasoline engines. During closed-loop cruising you get clean burning and great fuel economy.

Now here's the good part: You can edit the Volumetric Efficiency (VE) and Spark Advance tables for each cylinder, and, you can ride with the small Vehicle Computer Interface (VCI) connected and record performance data. New tuning updates are automatically calculated (Smart Tune) from the data recording using the laptop computer software and then flashed into the Engine Control Module (ECM) through the VCI. It simply plugs in behind the left side cover.

You can also manually adjust Throttle Progressivity to your liking and adjust the Spark Advance based on head temperature if needed to reduce spark knock at high temperatures.

So far I just loaded the recommended Stage 1 base tuning file. I selected the option to reset the adaptive fuel trims which erases learned adjustments from previous engine operation. Then I went for a ride. The bike ran perfectly, no decel popping or any other "bad" behavior. Throttle response, driveability, and power is excellent as far as I can tell.
I'll post some more in a few weeks after I record some road load data and "Smart Tune" a few times.

Thanks for sharing....great detail for sure!! Look forward to seeing how it runs for you.

I have the tuner but I'm not technical enough or patient enough to do it myself. Thanks for the insightful post Hulkss!

I also bought the TTS MasterTune tuner. I wanted to compare TTS to the SE Street Tuner as TTS MasterTune is a more versatile tuner for modified engines and is highly endorsed by top engine tuners.

When comparing the recommended AFR targets between the two tuners for Stage 1 bikes, you can see that they are nearly identical (see attached file). Closed-loop operation is in bold font.

This similarity points out the fact that the SE Street Tuner will deliver nearly identical results on a Stage 1 bike. That's enough to get me to use the SE Street Tuner and not have to worry about my extended warranty with a reflashed engine controller.

View attachment AFR.pdf

I went back to the stock header pipe with cat as I much prefer the sound I had with it and the Street Cannon mufflers. No road tuning required now as the download tuning file is for that exact set-up.

This is a little off topic, but the tuner that came with my bike has part number 545671 on the box, but nothing on the tuner itself. Is this the same tuner that you have?

Is it a Harley (Orange) Super Tuner?
if so-I think mine is
Harley Davidson Screamin' Eagle Pro Super Tuner 32109-08C

The (SEPST) Screamin Eagle Pro Super Tuner works well and can do a lot of stuff to your bike. Very easy to use and understand.

This is a little off topic, but the tuner that came with my bike has part number 545671 on the box, but nothing on the tuner itself. Is this the same tuner that you have?

Jeckel, that is the previous version of the Pro super tuner.
like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Se-pro-super-tuner-screaming-eagle-/171876449862?hash=item2804a27e46&vxp=mtr

The new one is orange with checkered flags on it. Same thing just a newer version. Do you have cables with it too?
You can get the software and video info here:
http://prosupertuner.harley-davidson.com/SuperTuner.aspx

I am reading this thread intently. The service mgr. at my Harley store I bought from is all about getting as much gas to the engine as needed for my driving desires and is willing to set up a dyno-race tune and flash the ECM to dial in my stage-1 that I have put on. He is familiar with the FL-VIED's and thinks running it a bit richer was a good idea until I decide which tune/tuner to finally settle for. I know several other riders that have bought from them and service techs there believe that a good tune is what its all about. So I see so many different choices but I am done with the "speed parts" purchasing and just want the best and coolest performance where I am now. I am leaning towards the Harley sert download . Any thoughts or suggestions.? I got some good thoughts on my posting about head/oil temp.
I just have a easy time wrenching and don't like the programming aspects of the tuning process.( looking for the easier softer way )

Fallguy- That's pretty much what I have done and I've been very happy with the results (see my signature below). That being said, next bike I will probably do pipes, A/C and an FP3 instead. Reason? any changes I make afterwards can be accommodated by the FP3 and its Autotune feature whereas I would probably need to re-Dyno with current setup for maximum effect.

will the pro tuner void my warranty

The (SEPST) Screamin Eagle Pro Super Tuner will, anything that shows the little stoplight or checkered flags (I forget which) next to it in the parts catalog tells you. Harley has two of tuners in their catalog. The tuner other than the SEPST wont void your warranty, however it limits what the tech can do where as the SEPST gives them pretty much full access to tune. I put the SEPST on mine after de-catting the bike and adding Fullsac headers. My bike rides phenomenal after I completed my stage 1. The tune, headers and the daymaker headlight were the two most expensive and well worth mods to my bike.

Jeckel, that is the previous version of the Pro super tuner.
like this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Se-pro-super-tuner-screaming-eagle-/171876449862?hash=item2804a27e46&vxp=mtr

The new one is orange with checkered flags on it. Same thing just a newer version. Do you have cables with it too?
You can get the software and video info here:
http://prosupertuner.harley-davidson.com/SuperTuner.aspx

Thank you! thats what I was looking for. Is this the same tuner you have?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mikes469