My Thunder

Ironwings60

May 27, 2023
Here is my 21 Street Glide, so I picked it up used with only 3400 miles on it. I since changed the pipes, pulled the tank and changed the plugs and had to have the front wheel re-balanced as it was so far out of alignment. It took 9 weights to balance this front wheel. What could cause this? First thought was it was bent but I would not think weights would help that then I know some tires have to be aligned on the rim just right or they are out. Does anyone have an answer to why so many weights?

Reactions: BillyBob
That's a crazy amount of lead to be looking at. Who did the re-balance of the tire/wheel assembly, dealership or indy? Does your bike have the tire pressure monitoring system? I have 2 guesses on this, one, the person doing the work didn't know what they were doing or the belts in the tire have shifted from an extremely hard impact.
why moderation

That's a crazy amount of lead to be looking at. Who did the re-balance of the tire/wheel assembly, dealership or indy? Does your bike have the tire pressure monitoring system? I have 2 guesses on this, one, the person doing the work didn't know what they were doing or the belts in the tire have shifted from an extremely hard impact.

Post it again

why moderation
Yes, I have the TPMS along with the RDRS. When I bought the bike used, my bust I did not get a chance to take it over 60 MPH. I should have known better. I bought the bike from a dealer, Indian dealer. It's a 21 special with 3400 miles on it. Well on the way home about an hour into it I noticed the shimmy in the front end about 68 -90 mph. Yes 90 as I tested it. It stays the same through out. I knew this was a front wheel balance problem as it still tracked straight and did not shake me to hell and back, but was vibrating pretty good. After the wheel balance it was smooth. But I am not comfortable with that front wheel with that many weights on it.

Yes, I have the TPMS along with the RDRS. When I bought the bike used, my bust I did not get a chance to take it over 60 MPH. I should have known better. I bought the bike from a dealer, Indian dealer. It's a 21 special with 3400 miles on it. Well on the way home about an hour into it I noticed the shimmy in the front end about 68 -90 mph. Yes 90 as I tested it. It stays the same through out. I knew this was a front wheel balance problem as it still tracked straight and did not shake me to hell and back, but was vibrating pretty good. After the wheel balance it was smooth. But I am not comfortable with that front wheel with that many weights on it.
How much weight is on it? Have you by chance looked into balance beads like Ride On? They go on the inside of the assembly through the valve stem. Some of the beads also include tire sealant as part of the package.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Emurillo89